Home Forums Explore Subjects Landscapes Two Studies

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

A couple studies to keep away the boredom of “Social Distancing”.

The second was on a support combo that I often use: Liquitex Gesso on Guerrilla Painter’s Carton Paper. I usually like the surface but occasionally I can not get the paint to stick. I may try the second again on canvas.

C&C Welcome. Gary

Morning Walk. Salt Lake City
    6×8 Acrylics on Raymar Panel
    [ATTACH]871799[/ATTACH]

Vernal, Utah
    6×8 WSO on Gessoed Carton Paper
    [ATTACH]871800[/ATTACH]

"Painting is a verb"

Ohiohawk97

A very realistic and majestic tree in the first one and love the way the light cascades across the grass and that fence line with the bushes is excellent. Your depiction of the light coming from the right is very well depicted in the Vernal painting. I really like how you keep the values the same on both parts of the houses.

Wes

Aussiesrus

The tree makes a terrific statement in the 1st. It is well defined & ideally placed within the 4 parameters. Nice. The sloping shadows are a nice inclusion also.

A lovely expression of harmony in the 2nd. The textured strokes recede nicely creating wonderful depth.

Re – A couple studies to keep away the boredom of “Social Distancing”. :lol:
            Makes a change from Brexit :)

Michael.

michaelcartwrightart.com.au
            https://bluethumb.com.au/michael-cartwright
            I'M NOT AS THINK AS YOU DRUNK I AM

ntl

I do like the tree. It has good form, it’s well placed. The other elements support it nicely.
                I see the second as peaceful, inviting.
                Well done.

Dorrart

A couple of very finely done sketches. I really like the colors and the compositions are balanced and pleasant. Lovely trees and lovely patterning of the colors.

- David

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." --Picasso

Thanks All. I probably should not have posted the 2nd until I repainted it. Going a little stir crazy.

Thanks Wes. There is nothing more helpful to keeping a positive mood in the winter than an evergreen.

Thanks Michael. The actual scene in the first was much flatter. As I painted I saw something different and exaggerated it. I wished something other than the COVID-19 had pushed Brexit aside in the news cycle. Then, yesterday we had a moderate earthquake if there is such a thing.

Thanks ntl. My spellchecker keeps wanting to change “ntl” to “nth”. If that ever slips past me, please forgive. Thanks for your kind remarks.

Thanks David. Sometimes I despair of getting the color combinations that I want. With the second in oils as I tried to paint into my block-in I kept lifting paint. The more I adjusted, the worse it got.

Thanks again. Gary

"Painting is a verb"

Bizzibee

We are lucky, are we not Gary, to have both our painting and our online community, as a distraction to the horrible situation we all find ourselves in? I love everything about the first one: the sky the tree and the light. I like how the second is dominated by those bands of colour – I think that is very effective indeed!

'One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star': Friedrich Nietzsche

arl

Wonderful colours and textures.

Arlene - C & C always appreciated
                            instagram.com/ababadart

Reddyman

Gary

Yes it is nice to have such great friends here on-line to ease the stress of the worldwide situation we are currently facing.
                                Your work on both of these is terrific and you always seem to capture the light so well. That first piece has such a wonderful presence and well painted with the tree so aptly bringing us into the scene. Well done. I really like your colour choices once again as well.

Stay safe.
                                john

Thanks Trudi. Painting is a wonderful distraction and the forum is a bit like a second home.

Thanks Arlene. I have a relative who is color blind. When he was a kid and saw my paintings, he would point out places where I got the textures wrong for establishing distance. I do not always handle textures well but I try to remember to think about them.

Thanks John. It is like sitting at the forum is comparable to sitting around a camp fire and chatting.

Thanks again, Gary

"Painting is a verb"

kentiessen

The ‘Walk’ painting has great color and variety- I especially like the very top of the tree. Some softening of the horizon and those back tree edges, and something for the clouds (other design of shapes?).

‘Vernal’ has a nice group of grays and the feeling of high bright light- the back left trees have good brushwork too. I like those very soft cloud shapes and color. The distant bands feel a bit out of character, and think the range needs more blue.

Ken Tiessen

www.KenTiessenArt.com
                                    Comments or Critiques welcomed...always!

Thanks Ken. I am going to let the second cure a bit and then repaint those distant mountains. Gary

"Painting is a verb"

Fine work Gary. Good plan for the mountains.

Skyenorth

Lovely works Gary. My favourite is ‘The walk’ can’t believe how tiny this panel is yet it is such a fine painting!

[URL=http://www.simmillarts.co.uk
                                        http://simmill-arts.blogspot.com/
                                        Success is never found. Failure never fatal. Courage is the only thing.
                                        Winston Churchill.

Thanks Patrick.

Thanks Caroline. It is easier for me to paint small in acrylics. I pass the spot of the first maybe 10 times a week and then one morning it just looked like a possible subject for a painting.

Thanks Gary

"Painting is a verb"

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.