Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Kiffin

13 X11 Graphite & White chalk on Strathmore toned paper
        C&C welcome
        First time I have used toned paper not pleased with the result.

Wassie

Why aren’t you pleased with it? Is it the toned paper you don’t like. I think you’ve done a good portrait. It’s hard to tell about any likeness without seeing a reference.

This is a good portrait. There are areas that could use improvement though. For instance, the right side eye (his left) is a bit flat compared to the other one and the iris appears to be off slightly. Actually the entire right side seems a bit flat compared to the left but that can just be an illusion. As Wassie said, a critique on likeness requires the reference.

Kiffin

Thanks Wassie and Ken for your comments I will use them when I have another go at it. I am not happy with the blending of the chalk and graphite. I am leaving it aside for a while and will do another one of Andrew in charcoal or just graphite.

joesurfer

I don’t know what you intent was but to someone, regular person like me, it looks awesome. If I would not have read your description, i would not even be looking for anything wrong. If i had to pic something, i would say you went to crazy with the white and should have just used it much more sparingly. It does NOT look like a photograph which is a HUGE plus for me. If it looked like a photograph then I would say “whats the use in drawing it”. just take a picture. Photographs should be trying to look like paintings. Paintings should not be trying to look like a photograph’s….I particularly like the lines on the shirt. You stopped it before you went to far. I like that you did not rub out all the roughness and texture (bad habit of mine). I think a drawing should look like a drawing. I think When a person see’s the best drawing’s, they should be able to tell it’s a drawing, not just a copy of something else. I could be all wrong. Just my opinion.

I have just been thrown out of the inn where I was staying, naked as a worm. Claude Monet

Kiffin

Thanks Joesurfer for your comments. I had to use white because of the toned paper, but I agree it looks too much. The problem may be in how it is applied. This was my first use of toned paper for a portrait.

negative

The colors are very pleasing, almost marble-like.

Kiffin

Thanks Negative for your comments.

Steve T. Laws

It looks pretty good.

Your frustrations with the medium/paper do translate to the viewer, tho.

Betcha if you set it aside for a month or two and lost yourself in a couple of other projects, when you finally came back to it with fresh eyes, you’d fix it lickety-split.

This is a good work. One trick I have found working with white chalk on a toned paper: To try not to mix the white chalk with the charcoal/graphite since the final result would be a bluish mixture. Before I apply the white chalk or pastel I usually erase that area and then apply the white pigment using only light pressure so I can evaluate the values with the other tones. I built the white pigment very slowly.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.