Home Forums Explore Media Pastels Soft Pastel Studio and Gallery Fixing is my problem

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Bartc

I’ve done reasonably well these days with Spectrafix Degas, but still have some tendency to overdo it at times, which does darken the colors a bit. When done right, works fine and no toxic fumes.

Here’s my latest. Amped up view at Newark Slough in Newark, CA on the SF Bay. 9×12″ Sennelier soft pastel on dark green Pastelmat:

water girl

First of all, it was a great choice in paper color. The complimentary color peeks through here and there and makes the little red building pop. I have not had good luck with fixative, but it appears not to have diminished the colors at all.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Karen, IAPS/MC, PSA WC Moderator-Pastels

web site , Getting started in soft pastels., What you need to know, Critique Guide Lines

Donna T

I agree with Karen and will add that I admire your bold strokes of color! The turquoise blue color of the distant mountain is just gorgeous. I like Spectra Fix, especially because I can’t stand any fumes. I haven’t noticed any darkening of colors but I am very cautious about how much I apply, except for when I want to loosen up then I spray it until it makes the pastel drip and run.

Donna
                C&C Always Welcome

Bartc

Thanks for the compliments!

franglais

Love the rich, vibrant colors you used here, Bart, and they don’t seem to have been affected by the SpectraFix. Did you get a misting bottle of some type to use to spray your SpectraFix? The pump bottle it comes in often made splatters. I bought a Florasol bottle on Amazon and that really helps a lot.

Mike

Bartc

Love the rich, vibrant colors you used here, Bart, and they don’t seem to have been affected by the SpectraFix. Did you get a misting bottle of some type to use to spray your SpectraFix? The pump bottle it comes in often made splatters. I bought a Florasol bottle on Amazon and that really helps a lot.

Mike

Yes, I got a good misting bottle, which is an improvement. But spraying outdoors in the wind doesn’t make for the ease and even-ness of doing so indoors. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it!

franglais

The advantage of SpectraFix is that is “all natural” and doesn’t have to be sprayed outside. No risk. :) I also lay my paintings flat and spray across them and let the spray fall down onto the painting.
                                Best wishes!
                                Mike

Bartc

The advantage of SpectraFix is that is “all natural” and doesn’t have to be sprayed outside. No risk. :) I also lay my paintings flat and spray across them and let the spray fall down onto the painting.
                                    Best wishes!
                                    Mike

Agreed, but in this instance painting outside and seeking a half useful shelter from some brisk wind, defeated some of those techniques. So I ended up overdoing it, IMO.

I paint en plein air, rarely inside. Then need to handle, transport and share my work out there (or in a local restaurant) with my painting pals. So the controlled conditions indoor to spray aren’t what I can usually start with out in the field.

When I can wait to get it home safely, I have no trouble following your format for fixing.

Bold colors are my favorite. Very nice work.
                                    I use UART for the tooth and don’t need to fix. But i can see how with other non-toothy papers you might need to fix.

Best.

Annette Bárcenas O.
                                    Instagram: @annettebarcenasdemadrid
                                    www.abarcenas.com
                                    "I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way... things I had no words for". - G. O'Keeffe

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.