WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Learning Center
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#151   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-30-2015, 10:58 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States
Re: The Spotlight - October 2015 - Shape

Great duck, Blayne! I was so tempted to do that reference too, but drifted heavily into pen-watercolor this month. You saw the problems and fixed, the tiny eye looks good, the reflection's fantastic!

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #152   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2015, 02:03 AM
Near Reading, England

Hails from United Kingdom

Thanks everyone for your comments on my duck!

Blayne, those cantaloupes look delicious. The texture both of the inside and outside of the fruit is so realistic! And your duck, I can't believe you were able to get so much into such a small painting. I really like how you have modified the ripples and reflections, and how the colour of the water changes from left to right. Really nice!
  #153   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2015, 04:52 AM
Immortalized

Thanks, Karen--great you visited the Spotlight!

Thank you, Robert! You are brave, to work with pen and watercolor. Not very forgiving, those two!

Sarah, thank you--and thank you also for inspiring me to try the duck although I didn't get nearly the detail in mine that you got, like those lovely feathers you did in the brown area of his neck. And it is difficult to work so small. I went back and looked at yours to see what size it was but didn't see that you gave the dimensions. Back story about the water changing colors from left to right in mine is that I didn't plan well. I didn't sketch the duck but only painted in the shapes in watercolor. I then realized he was too small on the page, but I was too committed to the colors already on the paper at that point to be able to enlarge him. I needed something more of interest in the painting or would need to crop it. I therefore tried to make his surroundings more varied and also added more to the reflection. (Do I hear someone mumbling something about a sow's ear and a silk purse? )

Last edited by Blayne : 10-31-2015 at 04:54 AM.
  #154   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2015, 06:39 AM
Near Reading, England

Hails from United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blayne
Sarah, thank you--and thank you also for inspiring me to try the duck although I didn't get nearly the detail in mine that you got, like those lovely feathers you did in the brown area of his neck. And it is difficult to work so small. I went back and looked at yours to see what size it was but didn't see that you gave the dimensions.

Sorry I forgot to give the size, it is about 8 x 11 inches.

Quote:
Back story about the water changing colors from left to right in mine is that I didn't plan well. I didn't sketch the duck but only painted in the shapes in watercolor. I then realized he was too small on the page, but I was too committed to the colors already on the paper at that point to be able to enlarge him. I needed something more of interest in the painting or would need to crop it. I therefore tried to make his surroundings more varied and also added more to the reflection. (Do I hear someone mumbling something about a sow's ear and a silk purse? )

No, it's a creative adaptation!
  #155   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2015, 08:14 AM
Immortalized

Well, Sarah, you did a great job in that 8" x 11" space!

And, as to mine being a "creative adaptation," a lot of mine turn out to be just that. It's good to have a positive phrase for when that happens. Creative adaptation sounds much better than mistake.
  #156   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2015, 08:15 AM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Blayne, Lovely paintings! Nice finish on the melons and the duck painting is really wonderful! The water is handled especially nicely!

Don

My Blog My Art Gallery My Photo Gallery
  #157   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2015, 08:17 AM
Immortalized

Thank you, Don!

Happy Halloween, everyone!👹👺👿👰🍬🎃
  #158   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2015, 09:39 AM
Veteran Member
Mid-Georgia, USA

Hails from United States

Hi folks, I haven't much time these days but I managed to do a shape thingy for this month. Wish I'da used the other side of the stock tho.
(hope to get back next mo.

Jay, flowers are great!

Raini, nice portrait. Your still life is very nice as well!
Sarah, Very nice duck!
Blayne your rose of Sharon is nicely done and especially the way it is cropped!
Your cantaloupes look fresh and ready to slice for breakfast. And...they came from your garden! WOW!
(elusive elipses....always a problem! )
  #159   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2015, 10:00 AM
Immortalized

Ural, I've been wondering where you disappeared to--we've missed you!

Your apples look so nice, nestled in that basket! Absolutely gorgeous reds and great shapes on the apples. (And thanks so much for your kind words about my paintings )
  #160   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2015, 11:38 AM
Immortalized

"It's another bad hair day, my lipstick smeared on both sides of my nose, and I couldn't find matching earrings, but it's Halloween so I can get by with it."

Sargent would never recognize this lovely, whose portrait I've titled, "Study in Black, Red and Bone" (giving a nod to Whistler in the title). This masterpiece can be yours today for only $3 million five ... no, wait, that's not what I intended to write. I meant to say this is 8" x 12" on sketch paper (Who cares if it's acid free? It's going in the trash.) that I did with 3 (count them, 3!) pastels--except I cheated at the end and used a touch of gold and a smidgen of deepest blue. I used Nupastel black and Nupastel beige/off white, and a red TL.

"Isn't she lovely,🎶 isn't she Heaven sent ...🎶🎶🎶"

#161   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2015, 12:35 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Ural. Welcome back. Love those fall apples. Very nice.

Blayne. I'm amazed that you would trash this portrait. She is quite interesting. It's amazing the range of colors you achieved with so few pastels. I like your addition of gold. I suspect that Sargent was inspired by the gold hoop earrings in this portrait. Yes, she is rather sultry but quite striking. You did a splendid job on the hair and hairband. She is intriguing. Don't sell her short!

JAY
  #162   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2015, 12:49 PM
Immortalized

Oh, Jay, you're so kind! Thank you! Even though I was sort of slap happy while working on it (lack of sleep will do that), it was a wonderful exercise working not only with just spaces but with those limited colors. And I won't sell her short. Ha ha, truth is, the artist's lament, I won't sell her at all.
  #163   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2015, 02:25 PM
Veteran Member
Alberta, Canada

Hails from Canada

Peeking in, been over at the WDE for a bit ...great bunch there, they said come on over!
Ural ..love your still life, luscious shapes!
Blayne ...you have been busy! Your duck turned out excellent and the cantaloupe too...loving your portrait, the blending is nicely done and I find her face quite interesting!

The "earth" without "art" is just "eh."
-Unknown Author, possibly Canadian
  #164   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2015, 07:51 PM
Immortalized

Thank you so much, Raini! Much of the blending was done with the harder Nupastels.

Don, it's been such a great month--actually a great two months. I feel I've learned so much with the work on lines and shapes. Thank you! Looking forward to the new lesson!
  #165   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2015, 10:35 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Ural, Thanks for sneaking in before the threads closes! Very nice painting!

Blayne, You have been productive! Your portrait looks good! Not a candidate for the trash bin at all!

Don

My Blog My Art Gallery My Photo Gallery