Home Forums Explore Media Fiber Arts Stitch in Time May 2019

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Debby

2019 is 1/3 over with. :eek: Don’t know about other areas, but we are not having those May flowers yet. Had lots of rain in April and warmer temperatures, but no flowers.

Hope y’all are having fun with your fiber arts. Possibly getting inspiration from the change of season.

I’ve pulled out the materials to make critters again after a break. Time will tell if it did any good.

Debby
        Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

A couple of May flowers have bravely fighting their way out of the snow here. Little tiny pansies, sometimes called “Johnny Jump up”. Even the weeds aren’t flowering yet. The lilacs out side my bedroom window are getting green buds.

It was both snowy and foggy this morning so everything was white either with snow or frosted. But I am tired of the xmas card look.

Doll Art by Lena

:clap: :lol: The Christmas card look, indeed.

Well, San Francisco wavers in cool and classic spring weather. But the sky is generally blue. But snow still is strong in the mountains.

Set up a solo show in the gallery space at a local specialty quilt fabric store, Bay Quilts. The exhibit will be up for the month of May. Quite amazing to see only MY work upo on the walls and displayed.:heart:

Jen

Jennifer Landau
            Proud to be published in Art Quilting Studio magazine and educating about wool at The Great Dickens Christmas Fair.

Debby

Lena, believe it or not, spring will come. Hang in there. Is your studio put back together?

Jen, congrats on the solo show. Pictures?

Had to go to the hospital yesterday, then off to visit mom since she’s arrived here for the summer. The medical folk wanted an echo-cardiagram since I have a heart murmur. I’ve had it for years. :rolleyes: I figure no big deal, a little sticky with the goo, lay still while they get the pictures. Um… no. They want to inject a contrast dye. :eek: Only I have uncooperative veins. They are deep, they roll and wiggle, and they are small. I got stuck 3 times and they still couldn’t get the IV inserted. I told them that was enough. They could work with the images they had sans dye. Now of course, today, I have bruises. Anyway, off to the city today. Have some shopping we’ve been putting off.

Debby
                Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

Spring was here this week and now it is summer lol. For the next few days anyway.

I am on my third try of a pair of stockings for my daughter’s friend. Test swatches lied. She has big calves but not that big. Wool knits up different from cotton.

Last time they tried injecting dye on me I ended up being rushed down the hall to ER.
                    It seemed I was allergic to it.

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Lena, I hear you about summer. We are suddenly looking at 27C this week. :eek: I thought you couldn’t work with wool. Actually, I was afraid if they did get the dye in me that would happen. I’m allergic to so many things. Honestly, I was just as glad they couldn’t get the IV started.

Test results came back. A thickening of the valve tissue, causing the murmur, but nothing alarming.

Working on sewing up critters. Since I’ve got more daylight to work with, I’m sewing up the darker colors and black that I need strong light to deal with.

Mom brought me a book she wants repaired. It’s a paperback Bible and the cover on the back came off. Several of the pages are starting to break loose. I wasn’t sure I could “fix” it. I re-glued the spine and it re-attached the pages that were coming loose. I proposed re-doing the cover as a hard back book. She thought that was a great idea. I need to add some end papers to make that work and offered her some of the printed paper I have. No, she wanted something neutral and solid. *sigh* I’ve ordered some mulberry paper in beige. She’s delighted. Can’t do anything more till the paper arrives.

Debby
                        Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Photos from the reception!

This is a store called Bay Quilts. One long wall is dedicated exhibition space. Each month a different artist has a show. There is also a great “kiosk” with shelves that adjust. So I have it full of my funny trees, 3D works and small mounted art quilts.

Jennifer Landau
                        Proud to be published in Art Quilting Studio magazine and educating about wool at The Great Dickens Christmas Fair.

Lena

Wow Jen that looks great. Those shelves are fascinating, a wonderful backdrop for your art.

Debbie, we came close to that temperature to. It is crazy. Last week I had the heat on.

I don’t like working with it. My hands are ok but it feels like rough twine to me. But Sarah loves wool and there is more choice for sock yarn. She has been very supportive of my daughter with her medical issues so this is kind of a reward for all her driving.

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Jen, congrats on a great exhibit. :clap: Can see why you’ve been too busy to stop by. :)

Lena, hope you can get thru the wool socks quickly. Awesome that your daughter has a friend like that. It’s really priceless when there is someone who can just be there to help like that. I think it’s great you are able to make the socks for her.

Still sewing up critters. It’s slow as my energy levels are so low. But, I’m just not getting used to the night shift with DH. He’s off to work tonight so I’ll be poking along at the sewing.

Debby
                                Guide - Fiber Art Forum

The owner of the shop says that she got the “kiosk” from a Joann’s that was closing. It is really a very clever way to display things. SLots in the main section let shelves slide to different sizes.

Jennifer Landau

Debby

Jen, really is a clever system. I’d not seen one like that before.

Still sewing critters… *sigh* Until I come up with yet another way of approaching the doll head, I’m kind of stuck on that project. I’m sure I’ll think of something eventually. In the meantime, I do have critters to sew.

Debby
                                    Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

My sister had a nasty cold/flu bug all week, now I am coming down with it.
                                        I am not a happy camper.

My stockings are back to where I decided to RIP them out.

We have been cleaning out the basement and found my grandfather’s carpentry tools. I shipped to my son-in-law. He got them yesterday is was over the moon with thanks. He hadn’t realised that these were almost antique pre power tool tools. All sorts of wooden planes in all sizes , chisels and other obscure things. It is nice that they went to someone who really appreciates old things. He will fix them and sharpen them with help from a friend who does smithing. And he will use them. Tools should be used.

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Lena, sorry you are getting sick. Take care of yourself. Awesome you have someone who appreciates the tools. You are correct, tools need to be used.

Still working on critters. I have such low energy with this night shift thing it’s not going quickly.

Mom has officially listed her house up here for sale. Then was surprised when she has potential buyers showing up to look at it this coming Saturday. We are going out later today to put in the window A/C for when it gets warm again. Also to help her move a couple of things out to the garage so the house shows better. I honestly hope the house sells quickly.

Debby
                                            Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

Lol my sister put her house up for sale and she had a bidding war on her hands in under 24 hours, last week. She and her new guy have already put in an offer on a new place. They are both widowed so neither wanted to move into each other’s house with all the baggage slow death brings. New house new location.

I feel like crap. Amazing how fast it moved from itchy throat to feeling like my throat was sandblasted and the rest of my head is socked in.

Good luck in the sales department.

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Lena, sounds like your sister is making a wise decision. It’s lovely when a piece of real estate moves quickly. Where I live it’s not unusual for houses to be on the market 2 years or more. Sorry you are feeling so badly. Take care of yourself.

So went out to mom’s. We were planning on putting in the A/C. Nope, it’s not warm yet. (This not so incidentally makes sure we have to come out there again.) The cat tower she wanted taken apart and stored in the garage, she decided couldn’t be done without power tools. :confused: So that didn’t happen either. Then she kept trying to give me stuff. The only thing I agreed to was a serger. I don’t have one of those. I don’t need another sewing machine, more fabric, or more dishes. :rolleyes:

Debby
                                                    Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.