Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor The Learning Zone Does anyone use only a 6 colour palette ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    JPQ

Does anyone use there only 6 colour palette ? if what colours you use. and i mainly ask people which paints landscapes,and flowers and abstract things.
        My art budjet is maybe more limited soon. and i prefer artist quality paints and full pans. two reasons why i maybe must limit my palette to very small. and what i tested colours what i own i think even with six colours i can get wide range colours. even good orange and violet…

virgil carter

J, a six paint palette is a very good limited palette and should allow mixing of almost any desired color. It will be a little slower and the paint will have a little less intensity, but otherwise it should be a good approach for painting.

Here’s the recommendations from Handprint (of course everyone has their own favorites):

• primary light yellow : benzimidazolone yellow (PY154) or hansa yellow medium (PY97)
            • secondary red orange : pyrrole orange (PO73) or cadmium scarlet (PR108)
            • primary magenta : quinacridone magenta (PR122) or quinacridone rose (“permanent rose”, PV19)
            • secondary blue violet : ultramarine blue (PB29) or cobalt blue deep (PB73)
            • primary cyan : phthalocyanine blue GS (PB15) or phthalocyanine cyan (PB17)
            • secondary blue green : phthalocyanine green BS (PG7) or phthalocyanine green YS (PG36)

Good luck!
            Virgil

Sling paint,
            Virgil Carter
            http://www.virgilcarterfineart.com/

JPQ

i going avoid cadmiums maybe (their opacity). and Schminckes Cobalt Green Dark is one my special colours actually now maybe my basic green even reason its grunalation makes lively greens and mixes also to my taste very natural greens. and my idea is boring classic two yellows,two reds,two blues. btw i dont much care earths. and i made few painttings now with ultramarine violet which seems usefull colour even making greens. and i now know i dont need W&N davys grey looks like i cannot mix anything usefull with it and in pure hue is not very usefull when we can mix own greys. and next pratices are going for greys… all others areas i can imagine easily what i get even my current big palette. and reason whole thing prices rise and moneys are going smaller i think in sametime…

virgil carter

If you are going to use a 6 color palette, with 2 of each primary, you will have a lot more mixing to do than using 6 colors from around the color wheel. And you’ll lose some intensity or saturation in your mixes. But it’s an old and traditional approach to use a warm-cool combination of red, yellow and blue.

Whatever works!

Sling paint!
                    Virgil

Sling paint,
                    Virgil Carter

Hi JPQ,

Check out this thread about the Split Primary Color Palette which consists of a warm and cool tone of each of the three primary colors. My instructor, Nita Leland, also adds a 7th color — Burnt Sienna — which she calls the “magic color” because it is so useful to mix with the other colors.

With that limited palette, you should be able to mix a wide variety of colors.

Happy painting.

Sylvia

pumkin54

I don’t really do a split primary, although that was originally my intention when I started painting. I find that I’ve ended up with a limited palette anyway just from the habits I’ve developed.

My workhorses are Ultramarine Blue, Alizarin Crimson, Cadmium Yellow Med and Burnt Sienna. I do entire paintings with just two or three of those colors. Cerulean Blue, Lemon Yellow and Cad Red Deep were supposed to be the other colors in my split primary. I use them maybe 25% of the time. I also have Payne’s Gray, not because I need it but just because I love the color. I use it for monochromes.

Of course I’ve only been painting for a few months and I assume that I will eventually add more colors. But you’re right. Not only is a limited palette more budget friendly, it’s also easier to learn a few colors really well rather than have 25 colors and be like :confused:

[FONT=Century Gothic] pumk[/B][/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]i[/B][/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]n [FONT=Century Gothic]
                        Instagram | DeviantArt | Twitter

[/B][/COLOR]

virgil carter

Interestingly (to me at least), in the Reniassance, green was considered a primary color, along with yellow, red and blue.

There are so many approaches to color theory. Be careful or your eyes will cross!

Here’s the opposing view of using split complementary colors: http://channeling-winslow-homer.com/a-rational-palette-index-to-chapters/chapter-one-2/chapter-two-eye-candy-avoiding-monotomy/chapter-three-mixing-convenience/chapter-four-saturation-costs/five-is-the-saturated-palette-what-we-want/six-the-extremely-limited-palette/seven-primary-color-palette-myth/eight-split-primary-palette/

I hope this doesn’t start a color theory war…

Sling theory!
                            Virgil

Sling paint,
                            Virgil Carter

earthnut

I’m pretty new to watercolors but I’m leaning towards a palette with two parts:

Granulating colors, namely Yellow Ochre, Venetian Red, and Ultramarine Blue
                                Staining colors, namely Benz Yellow (PY151), Quin Rose (PV19), and Thalo Blue (PB15:3)

There are some other colors I’m dabbling in, but those seem the best workhorses. A minimal palette in both, but allowing interesting texture differences too. I want to do plein air paintings and am attracted to earthy pigments.

There is not one blade of grass, there is no color in this world that is not intended to make us rejoice. ~ John Calvin
                                pumkin54

I hope this doesn’t start a color theory war…

Sling theory!
                                    Virgil

I posit that the only primary colors are black and white. Discuss. :lol:

[FONT=Century Gothic] pumk[/B][/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]i[/B][/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]n [FONT=Century Gothic]
                                    Instagram | DeviantArt | Twitter

[/B][/COLOR]

virgil carter

OK, I’ll bite! P, why do you say black and white are the only primary colors?

Sling color!
                                        Virgil

Sling paint,
                                        Virgil Carter

noge

I have more than 6 in my palette –

but painting winter landscape I usually use not more than 3 – 4

JPQ

I have more than 6 in my palette –

but painting winter landscape I usually use not more than 3 – 4

[IMG]http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/25-Jan-2012/148675-IMG_4314.JPG[/IMG]

what colours you have dont look basic 12colour set to my eyes oops you have 14 colours but still i want know what are colours if you remember.:)

ps. i dont paint winter landscapes often i prefer autumn/fall (i love oranges,reds and yellows in treens…) and summer. in this order.

O Solis

I use only primary colors from MaimeriBlu:

Primary Cyan
                                                    Primary Magenta
                                                    Primary Yellow

plus a tube of Permanent White Gouche from W&N which is only used for things like highlights, stars, etc.

I make all my paintings from these paints. When I do acrylics (rarely now) I use the same four paints.

Oscar

I started out with a palette of the three primaries and didn’t add to it until I understood their properties really well. I chose transparent colours, Quinn gold, permanent alizarin, and ultramarine blue. I was able to mix just about any other colour and intensity from those. What I started adding next were earth colours.

www.ellenspalette.com

kate252

ultramarine blue
                                                        a;irizon crimson
                                                        cadmium red
                                                        lemon yellow

those are my usual- i jujst use them

this week ive bought hookers green and “intense blue” (what a joke- it should be called “wierd greeney blue”

and i have black and white- which i am avoiding at the moment- white opaques everything- and black deadens it

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 67 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.