Home Forums Explore Subjects Landscapes Favorite Landscape Paintings and or Artist

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 175 total)
  • Author
    les lull

I had an idea for a thread that I hope will be participated in by the members of the forum. I think it would be cool to post links or works from mentors living or dead that the members of this forum admire or draw inspiration from. I have a difficult time narrowing the window as there is so much great art that I decided I would narrow it to five to start the ball rolling.

One of my early inspirations was William Hook. He paints in Acrylic and has an amazing sense of color. http://www.williamhook.net

No inspirational artist list would be complete with out Clyde Aspvevig. It is my belief that seeing one of his paintings in the flesh will change an artist forever. http://www.clydeaspevig.com

[FONT=Times New Roman][/FONT]

Another artist that I cannot leave out is Scott Christensen. I had a chance to see the above painting in the flesh this last summer. I am convince that it is impossible to photograph accurately great art. http://www.christensenstudio.com

I cannot leave out Carlson. This is not my favorite painting by Carlson but a good one none the less. Something I am quite excited about is that Scott Christensen is friends with the Carlson Family and has spoken to them about having a showing of Johns work at his new studio in Driggs. I have never seen John’s work in the flesh, but would travel a thousand miles to do so.

All right I have to quit here, because I said that I would keep it to five. I can’t leave Payne out of the mix. I have seen his work in person and it is brilliant. No website for him, but his infamous book Composition of outdoor painting is still in print.

I look forward to what the rest of you will bring to this thread.:)

TerriMarie

Cool thread Les!

The two I admire most, (and there are many more) are …

Richard Schmid & Marc Hanson[/URL]

Their work leaves me utterly speachless… I can’t describe how viewing their paintings makes me feel. I study eveything I can get my hands on from Schmid – I have all his DVD’s & books… and… “when I grow up” :rolleyes: …I’d love to attend a Marc Hanson workshop! Scott Christensen is right up there with them on my fav’s too! I have Payne’s book, but it is a little “deep” for lack of a better term, for me…I’ve read that book 3 times, it hasn’t sunk in yet ;)

[FONT=Trebuchet MS]~Teresa~

I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday.
            My Blog : My Website

I like original artists [hows that for bing snotty?] Cezanne is a genuine original so too is Vincent and Monet and his little band also changed the nature of art. I wasn’t impressed with Richo Schmid … no doubt he would feel the same about my masterbits … Corot I love so too and some of the Pissaro works where the sense of space is suggested … My favorite Australian artists tho are tod whisson – brother of colley- and the only oz connection to impressionism – John Russell-his paintings are simply mind boggling in the flesh.

Makes me want to take up painting by numbers … and that last painting by Les could be anywhere in Australia – bliss.

les lull

Cool thread Les!

The two I admire [U]most[/U], (and there are many more) are …

[URL=http://www.richardschmid.com]Richard Schmid [/URL]& [URL=http://www.marchansonart.com/]Marc Hanson[/URL]

Their work leaves me utterly speachless… I can’t describe how viewing their paintings makes me feel. I study eveything I can get my hands on from Schmid – I have all his DVD’s & books… and… “when I grow up” :rolleyes: …I’d love to attend a Marc Hanson workshop! Scott Christensen is right up there with them on my fav’s too! I have Payne’s book, but it is a little “deep” for lack of a better term, for me…I’ve read that book 3 times, it hasn’t sunk in yet ;)

Thought I would throw up a favorite Schmid image. I was going to mention him but knew that it would show up quickly any way.

While I am at it, a favorite Hanson.

Thanks for jumping in Terrie.

les lull

I like original artists [hows that for bing snotty?] Cezanne is a genuine original so too is Vincent and Monet and his little band also changed the nature of art. I wasn’t impressed with Richo Schmid … no doubt he would feel the same about my masterbits … Corot I love so too and some of the Pissaro works where the sense of space is suggested … My favorite Australian artists tho are tod whisson – brother of colley- and the only oz connection to impressionism – John Russell-his paintings are simply mind boggling in the flesh.

Makes me want to take up painting by numbers … and that last painting by Les could be anywhere in Australia – bliss.

I don’t think anyone could argue with your choices. Cezanne is fantastic. Monet, what can be said about Claude? I would love it if you had some images to share.

Thanks for the comment about Swamp Trestle. You are too kind.

AngeloCaputo

I would add T. Allen Lawson to the list

I also like Albert Handell[/URL]

Wojdo

George Inness is my absolute favorite. I draw much inspiration from his work, thats probably why I get lots of comments on my work as being moody and mysterious.

Painting is a never ending process of learning and observing. Joe Wojdakowski
                            Get inspired.......Stay inspired........Inspire

TerriMarie

Just couldn’t resist putting up one of my favorite Schmid paintings :) I am probably making a mess of describing “why” I like his work but it’s the detail without “fuss” that I love -same with Marc’s work…and then Marc was fortunate enough to study with Schmid a couple of times… ah, to dream… ;)

TerriMarie

Angelo – Wow, thanks for sharing! I’ve never seen Lawson’s work – it’s stunning!

I’d never heard of George Inness either…me thinks I need to get out more! LOL

les lull

This is pretty cool to see this thread get some legs. Awe inspiring work that has been shared here.

I thought I would throw up three more.

I have always enjoyed this guys approach to color. http://www.mikesvob.com

Can’t really mention great color with out making reference to Camille Przewodek. Here stuff literally breathes. http://www.przewodek.com

Of wait one more. I guess you could call this a colorist installation. I had a chance to do a workshop with Ray Roberts. His stuff kind speaks for itself. http://www.krollroberts.com

amurphy

Thank You for introducing me to Mike Svob, Les. Concidering my latest post “Mexican Church”, Mikes work is the colors and style I can only aspire to.
                                            Amazing stuff!

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]

Bill Wray

Got all my favorites… Never heard of Mike S. If you like him you might like Connie Hayes; she’s a bit ovr the top with color, but kinda interesting.

http://www.conniehayes.com/large.html

for color and simple design Dan Pinkham http://danielpinkham.com/

And the best:http://www.sergeibongart.com/

Deborah Secor

A current favorite of mine is Liz Haywood-Sullivan:

Deborah

Deborah

"All glory to Him, who alone is God our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord."
                                                    Landscape Painting in Pastels (free online book)
                                                    Gouache Blog

The single artist that inspired me to take up watercolours was William Heaton Cooper, a Lake District artist.

This is the painting that inspired me:

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

amurphy

Thanks for the Connie Bayes link………love the color.
                                                        Sergies work is …..well the best, like you said Bill. Wonder what the dvd is like, that he has?

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 175 total)
                                                      • The topic ‘Favorite Landscape Paintings and or Artist’ is closed to new replies.