Home Forums Explore Subjects Abstract and Contemporary Art That’s Not Art!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    PatrickE

24×36 Oil on Wrapped Canvas. Have about a month until the deadline for a juried contemporary art show. Would appreciate and welcome all C&C. Thanks, Patrick

bongo

24×36 Oil on Wrapped Canvas. Have about a month until the deadline for a juried contemporary art show. Would appreciate and welcome all C&C. Thanks, Patrick
            [IMG]http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/29-Feb-2020/1965741-2020_Oil_24x36_THATS_NOT_ART!!!_Fotor.jpeg[/IMG]

I like the first half of the image a lot, and think it could do well on its own.

The image for the second half would work better IMO if it were an abstract – maybe an acrylic pour or something like that. It makes the canvas as a whole work better too imo. As it is some will look at the second image and try and figure out what exactly is being objected, with an abstract we would get right away that it’s the entire image and there would be no room for equivocating . That would get some blood boiling as people often have strong opinions both ways. A cool concept and good work.
            what are the dimensions? Its not 24×36?

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/18-Sep-2019/1999899-sigsmall.jpg
            STUDIOBONGO

PatrickE

Bongo, good catch. You’re quite right, it’s a 24″x48″ canvas. Thanks so much for the feedback!! -Patrick

I really love this! Either way it works.

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

This one made me laugh… Nicely done :lol:

Abstract painter - Taste is something you learn

INSTAGRAM

KENNETHLINDHOLM

graphicali

It made me smile too, very well painted!

"I am not yet born; provide me, with water to dandle me, grass to grow for me, trees to talk to me, sky to sing to me, birds and a white light in the back of my mind to guide me." From Prayer Before Birth by Louis Macneice.
                    tidal

Yes I like it I think it speaks volumes ..exhibit as you have it here..works for me I had a little chuckle and also thought mmm exactly right. It smacks you in the face that this is where we are in terms of art in mass culture/production etc…and much more..yes I dig it and I get it… :) and if they do not get it then all I can say is that sometimes those who judge need to learn a thing or two !

Sculpture is what you bump into when you back up to see a painting..Barnett Newman

maryinasia

love this!

john

Cool.

How about “Hey! That’s my banana!” :)

bobbybirds

As a pop culture piece I think anyone who is even remotely familiar with this meme, and art even remotely, will will grasp this instantly! Personally I would not change a thing if that is your intent, but if it is going out to a broad audience who is maybe not familiar with the contents origins, then it might be a tougher audience…

For the record, I spit my coffee out the second I saw it! :lol: I would totally hang this at my work and discuss it all day long when either those in the know raise an eyebrow or those confused ask questions!

La_

When internet memes become ‘art’.
                                        I’m torn.
                                        You’ve painted it well, but as a juror I would vote no.

la

_____________________________________________
                                        When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know Peace

bobbybirds

When internet memes become ‘art’.
                                            I’m torn.
                                            You’ve painted it well, but as a juror I would vote no.

la

Again, as a pop culture piece it totally is understandable. There is no denying it fits into that sphere of work. I mean if one can paint a soup can or dollar signs, I think this is no less relevant. In fact I would argue it is even more relevant as it could be perceived as the artist is truly looking inwards and it is almost self deprecating in it’s comedic gold. You are forced to ask yourself if it is just future hipster fodder or is it actually pop genius? To me that is pretty damn good art!

tidal

It’s a yes from me. I know little but all I could think of was that to me it was like a smack in the face in terms of coming face to face with how we are or are becoming less creative ..my point being yes this is art sadly (not your work you understand) but that art for a lot of people or the closest they get to it is using the emoji matcher for there face and which cartoon hat to put on there fake face…the world is a fu**ed up mess and this states that..art is being or has already been cut from schools etc . People have to reach inside to get in touch with there creativity which they need to express it has been taken away we are put through the meat grinder of life to trudge through dead end miserable jobs that are just soul destroying.

Sculpture is what you bump into when you back up to see a painting..Barnett Newman

Greggo

This is VERY unusual, a satire inside a satire, while establishing the credentials of the same painter as a portraitist AND and an abstract artiste.
                                                    The inclusion of the taped banana really was a brilliant choice.
                                                    I agree with bobbybirds that I would love to hang this in my home.

I could see this as a series of satires, but too many ideas to disclose. PM me!

https://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/17-Jul-2013/110200-Tatrabanner.jpg [FONT=Times New Roman] Click here for>> WC FAQS >

trufflecat

I agree with Bongo on this.

One issue I have is that it needs the title to explain what it’s all about. Especially if the viewer is not an artist.

Art is never finished, only abandoned.-- Leonardo da Vinci :thumbsup:

http://www.susanbaileyart.com
                                                      Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.