WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting > The Technical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2020, 04:14 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Re: Viribright 90+ CRI LED quality bulbs for less $ ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisnotatoy
On the Internet you can find articles in which the authors say that near infrared light is necessary for the regeneration of retinal cells. Lack of this light in the presence of blue light is supposed to cause damage to eyesight. What's more, they write that infrared is needed for body cells as an energy source. If this is true, then it turns out that halogens, however, do not waste energy, but produce a much larger range of useful radiation than it seemed.

Fortunately, all we have to do is go outside to get enough near-infrared.
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-24-2020, 11:58 AM

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by contumacious
Everywhere I look using the model number for the bulb you listed other than the one on 1000bulbs.com - BR30-14050FLFH25-12DE26-1-E1 - it shows it as a 90+ CRI, not a 96, which makes me think that the 96 CRI is a typo.

In fact on the CRI website they have no reference to any 96 CRI or 96+ CRI bulbs of any kind.

https://creebulb.com

90+ sounds good to me. The daylight LEDs that I have accumulated for my studio over the years are probably about 80.
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-25-2020, 01:50 AM
Sweden

Hails from Sweden

Halogen is now banned by the European Union, so people are stocking up on halogen. I saw the Philips Halolux bulb I use going for over 100 USD on German Ebay. That's ONE ordinary halogen bulb. Crazy!
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-25-2020, 04:20 AM
A Local Legend
Tbilisi, Georgia

Hails from Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by olsa123
Halogen is now banned by the European Union, so people are stocking up on halogen. I saw the Philips Halolux bulb I use going for over 100 USD on German Ebay. That's ONE ordinary halogen bulb. Crazy!
This is a very sad info.
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-25-2020, 02:17 PM

Hails from United States

Now at Home Depot US $8.77
Attached Images

#36   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-25-2020, 05:58 PM

I’ve been looking around on the “Energy Saver” website.

They would have to be testing the lightbulbs that they certify.

That discrepancy between Cree’s 90+ CRI rating and Energy Saver’s 96 CRI rating is interesting.

I wonder if there isn’t some batch to batch color variability in the manufacturing of LED lightbulbs.

These companies are claiming CRIs of 80+ and 90+ etc; the “+” implying that they might actually rate higher.

So I wonder, could the CRIs of the finished bulbs actually vary by as much as 4 or 5 points?

For instance, the Sylvania LED bulb 5000k-100 watt equivalent that I mentioned several posts back is rated by Sylvania as 92+ CRI.

https://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-7811... N5F8E0Y37W9FX

The Energy Saver site however says that the 5000k Sylvania's CRI is 96.

https://www.energystar.gov/productfi...etails/2303650

This same style bulb in the 2700k version, while rated by Sylvania as 92+ CRI as well, on the Energy Saver site it’s listed as only 91 CRI.

https://www.energystar.gov/productfi...etails/2303653

And the Sylvania bulb in 3000k is supposed to be CRI 92+ too, but tests at CRI 93+ on the Energy Saver website.

https://www.energystar.gov/productfi...etails/2303649

So do the warmer white bulbs have lower color accuracy and the cooler ones have higher accuracy? And Sylvania is just calling them all CRI 92+ for marketing convenience? Or in manufacturing does the color accuracy slightly vary from bulb to bulb?

Last edited by Antonin : 02-25-2020 at 06:35 PM.
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2020, 04:30 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonin

I wonder if there isn’t some batch to batch color variability in the manufacturing of LED lightbulbs.

I think you might be right. I have noticed a color difference between random samplings of the same make of bulb.

A report on the Viribrights....

Unable to find a 95+CRI bulb that I felt I could afford right not to fill 12 different fixtures, I ordered and just received a test shipment of 100 Watt equivalent 90+ CRI Viribright bulbs, their new design that has 4 LED strips in a plus shaped plastic housing. Not exactly cheap at $4 per bulb but an OK price for the wattage, color temp and CRI rating. They work really well in my large and deep metal soft reflectors with two bulbs on either side from about 35 degrees above and to each side, fully covering a 48" wide panel. Because the bulb is about 1/2" longer than a standard 100 watt bulb, more shallow reflectors that allow the tip of the bulb to hang out past the rim can cause some issues.

The color temperature I chose was 4000K. I am used to "museum" lighting at 3400k to 3600k but the next warmer color they offered in this bulb was 2700k which is way too warm for me. At first I really did not like the color, having never used that cool of a bulb before. It made me think of those nasty CFL's. I don't have a light meter that reads out CRI numbers, but the other day with some early morning diffused daylight coming through a window, the color was VERY close to that from the bulbs. After a few days of use I am now accustomed to the color shift. I looked at several paintings under these bulbs, under my old 3600k Solux bulbs, and outdoors in the diffused morning light and have concluded the 4000k are probably the best color choice for me until I can find some 95+ CRI 3600k LED bulbs that I can afford. There is no way I am going to paint under 5000k, 6000k or 6500k bulbs. They are just too cold and harsh feeling.

https://www.viribright.com/product/1...cri-pack-of-8/

Last edited by contumacious : 03-20-2020 at 04:32 PM.