WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting > Oil Painting - Hall of Fame
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2020, 02:45 AM
Enthusiast

Re: Oil-from-life challenge, Feb. 2020: optional "portrait" theme!

All sounds good, Moscatel! Thanks for all the great info on Wexford. Maybe we'll paint together one day!

I did this portrait in life class today. It turned out okay -- not bad, not great. The likeness isn't quite right; I made the nose too long. But the flaming red hair is pretty accurate! Also, I don't think I've ever painted a horizontal portrait before. I imagine there are famous horizontal portraits, but I can't think of any! "Natalya," oil on panel, 9" x 12," about 90 minutes.

#47   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2020, 03:25 AM
Lord of the Arts
Helsinki

Hails from European Union

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotius
All sounds good, Moscatel! Thanks for all the great info on Wexford. Maybe we'll paint together one day!

I added another photo for you in this thread: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...1476362&page=2 so you can see how my tripod is standing on the ground. I can open the arms much wider, too, and I do time to time but in that case I'd be sitting. Painting is leaning on the cover of the pochade box.

Wow, you have interesting models in your life class. You did all that in 90 minutes!! Very well done. May I ask what color is that red hair?
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2020, 05:05 AM

The light on this street in Marrakesh was incredible. There seemed to be no way to capture it in paint. It is the shadows that seem so vibrant in color when you are actually there. There is no way to capture the effect in a photograph. Read more about how I did the underpainting:
https://www.virtualartacademy.com/ep...lak-marrakesh/

#49   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2020, 12:30 PM
Enthusiast

Barry/b123, what a fantastic plein air painting! I love the foreground light and the colorful figures. How did you videotape -- with a GoPro strapped to your chest or something?

I actually commented on another one of your Morocco paintings in your thread over in the Plein Air forum. I also watched a couple of the videos, and I'm watching/listening to the one you just posted now. As I said in the other thread, I've spent some time in Morocco, and I remember the extraordinary warm light of Marrakesh. I also remember all those friendly Moroccan kids! I did some sketching while I was there, and even that drew a crowd. But I've never set up a plein air easel there.

Did anyone hound you to be their "guide"? Did you take a guide or venture out by yourself? Did you have any trouble? I rarely took guides, and I never had any problems. Such friendly people.

Moscatel, thanks for the comments on my little portrait. Yes, we do have some interesting models! Natalya is Slavic (Russian, I think), with flaming red hair and a bold personality. I actually find her rather hard to draw, as her look is so exotic. For her hair, I used various mixtures of alizarin crimson, cadmium red light (actually, Utrecht's "Cadmium-Free Red Light"), and little bits of ultramarine blue and transparent red oxide.

Thanks also for posting the photo in the other thread. Impressive tripod!
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2020, 04:35 PM
Veteran Member

Grotius- I love the red hair on your painting.

Barry - The colors in your Marrakesh painting are so vibrant. A great plein air piece.

Here are my latest portraits from our life modeling group. I finished my portrait of Lucy from a reference photo that I took during the previous session. I’m pleased with how it turned out and the hat was fun to paint.

I started another portrait this week of the model Rhonda, who was posing for the first time. It still needs a lot of work but I got off to a decent start in the modeling session.
Attached Images

#51   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2020, 06:19 PM
Enthusiast

Tom, those both look good! Nice job on the texture of the hat. Great start with Rhonda. I hope you post the finished work.

I had another life class today, and we worked on the first session of a two-session pose. My piece needs work, as the clothes are fuzzy and the face is of indeterminate gender (to borrow a phrase from Mark Twain). In fact, the model is a guy; I will make that more clear next time! Anyway, it's "Dude in a big hat," oil on panel, 9" x 12," about 2 hours so far.

#52   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-29-2020, 01:38 AM
Lord of the Arts
Helsinki

Tom, I like how you finished "Lucy's" portrait. I specially appreciate how you have worked on the shadows underneath the hat etc. "Rhonda" is also looking very good. Excellent work done!

Barry, I watched your video from Marrakesh (and other videos too .. will continue watching) and that is a challenge place to paint with all those kids even touching your painting! But it must have been fun. Lots of light in your painting.

Watching Barry's videos I noticed I haven't shot videos of me painting in any special (special to me ) places I've been painting and I think I need to correct that in the future.
As a female I wouldn't go Marrakesh to paint alone without a group around me but I have visited the city long time ago but as a tourist only. I wasn't painting plein air at that time. Nice to hear Grotius, that you have visited the city as well. After some thinking and earlier talk here I'm tempted to go to the Dublin plein air this summer .. will see what happens.

Grotius, "Dude in a big hat" is another beauty. I like it and looks like enough male to me. I like this pose. Love all those reds in your portraits. Very well done.

I woke up too early today and started working on one painting that is a larger studio work from a plein air painted in Seville last winter. Later today will go to the atelier to work more on my cast painting with notes written down of all the great critique you Grotius gave me for the cast.
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-29-2020, 01:36 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for your comments, Moscatel, and I hope you show us the latest version of your cast painting after you've finished today's session. I'm really enjoying watching your progress on it. It's such a great thing to do! I'm also impressed with how much work you're doing -- you're a full-time artist. As I am, now that I've officially retired from my day job (teaching), though I will teach one course a year to make a little money and keep my hand in. Anyway, keep us posted!
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-29-2020, 01:44 PM

Folks, I was not checking this thread for few days, really great paintings you've done!

But Geoff... the red haired one... heeeeeey, that is THE COLOR!!!
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-29-2020, 03:38 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks, Ilya! That red hair was SO fun to paint!
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2020, 02:01 AM
Lord of the Arts
Helsinki

Grotius, thanks!
Ilya, glad to see you here, too!

.. and here is the latest wip of my "John the Baptist" cast. Will work on it tomorrow again so I have an updated version to post for next month's thread.

#57   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2020, 02:25 AM
Enthusiast

It's looking good, Moscatel! Keep posting!

I'll need to start a new thread for March. Any suggestions? I'm half-tempted to continue the "portraits" theme, since so many of us are working on them. But I'm open to ideas! I'd like to post the new thread Sunday (US eastern time).