Home Forums Explore Media Oil Pastels Oil Pastel Studio Red barn and field

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    terriks

I started working on this one for the January “red” challenge, but got sidetracked and couldn’t finish it in time. :angel: As it turned out, the barn doesn’t really look all that red so maybe it wasn’t the best for the challenge, anyway.

Finally done, on 12×16″ Arches oil paper. Used mostly Neopastels, Mungyos and a few van Gogh OP’s.

A couple of closeups:

I had a lot of fun with the reflections. I’ve not done much of that in landscapes so it was good practice. All comments welcomed and appreciated. Thanks for looking!

Terri

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!

Rich A

Wow! Looks good Terri. Reflections are so good ->Muted colors and blurred strokes. Looks great. I like that Windmill, and I think it’s the perfect value for how it sits in the field. Any darker and it might have come forward.

I like the texture of the siding of the barn itself. Looks weathered and adds character. Hay stacks and low clouds in the horizon are nice touches and gives us that sense of distance. Nice work!

Wow! That’s a lot of work put into this landscape! Well done!

Christel

terriks

Rich, Christel, thank you!

Rich, that windmill hadn’t been in my original idea, but was added after the whole sky was done. I scraped out the outline for it, leaving the sky blue color there, then filled in with van Gogh Prussian blue, which helped it from going too dark I think.

The barn was painted medium gray first, then gone over with a few reds. Made it easy! :)

Christel, yes, I added elements to the painting as I went along like the windmill, hay stacks – no doubt that’s why I didn’t have it done in January. :lol:

Terri

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!

MaryFlora

Hello Terri,

That is a beautiful country scene, looks like a late summer day when nearly everything is blooming. (Ahhh…summer :lol: )

My favorite detail is the leaning little tree. We had a plum tree that grew that way. Great fruit…tasted like summer. ….

I admire your smooth sky and how the water reflects!

Getting side tracked worked very well for you! ;)

Mary

terriks

Thanks so much, Mary! Yes, the summertime feel is what I was trying for, so I’m happy you got that feeling from it. :)

Terri

SarahY

Lovely, terriks! Excellent sense of distance on a fresh, summery day.

http://www.shyeomans.co.uk
                            \m/ neue deutsche härte \m/
                            Nothing left but smoke and cellar, and a woman with a black umbrella...

terriks

Thanks so much, Sarah!

Terri

Mira

Very peaceful scene! Nice palette and balanced composition! The windmill was a great addition :thumbsup:

I love oil pastels and have created a blog about this medium. While the blog posts are in Russian, still I invite you to get inspired with various artists' beautiful OP paintings in my blog's gallery: https://oilpastelist.wordpress.com/gallery

terriks

Thank you for the comments, Mira! :)

Terri

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.