Home Forums Explore Media Glass Art Let’s Talk Glass Technical Forum Painting on fired enameled copper

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Cody’sMom

Hello! :wave: I have been playing with Thompson enamels (on copper blanks) this year since I got my new kiln for Christmas. I am curious to find a “paint” that will give me good, predictable results (rich opaque colors) in adding details on top of the enameled copper pieces (like painting flowers and pictures, or even detailing decals). I’ve tried Thompson acrylic enamel paint, as well as the enamel crayons without much success. I spent a lot of time adding details, and most burn off very quickly – certainly at the suggested temps – even in just a minute or so. At about $9.00 for a very tiny tube, the acrylic enamels are extremely expensive. I’ve heard talk of using some fused glass paints or even ceramic glazes on the fired enamels, but have no idea where to begin. I was thinking EZ Fire Enamel might work since it is so fine and supposedly great for painting with the right medium….perhaps with a nib pen? Does anyone have any experience doing something like this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Again, I’m not looking to paint on fused glass, but on fired enamel over copper. Thank you!

RSchafe

What temperature is your kiln set to? Since the results are dependent on time/temperature, with the colors are burning out you should reduce one or the other. You can test for the right combination by making a small test piece, painting on dots of the various colors, and then firing for a short period of time. Check results, and fire again. You are looking for the point where they just gloss over.

Although the tubes are small, they go a long way as you don’t need/want a heavy application.

"Don't let your limitations overshadow your Talents."
          Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.