WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Think Tank > Art History Discussions
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#121   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-27-2012, 08:04 PM
England

Re: Is art merely the pursuit of beauty?

I think you make an excellent point. In the same way (in terms of self-critique), I tend to avoid gestural abstract painting, preferring more often planned-abstracts; my attempts at gestural painting ultimately seem of little value, as there was little or no real idea/meaning within it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeshark
I would agree, there is not enough personal prejudice in the judgement of art. It is an area where unprovable personal opinion is perfectly correct and desirable. Indeed the polemical route is the only one you can really take that makes any sense. Then the chaff is sorted from the wheat by aggregated opinion. However though it is OK to say a work is good it seems to be considered impolite to say that it is bad. So the negative side of the argument for any work tends not to be put.
You see countless programmes praising this and that artist to the heavens, but no mention is made of the stinkers he or she painted or indeed the weaker aspects of their presumed successes. The programmes always revel in any character defect though, focussing with a drooling delight on sexual peccadillos, drunkenness or arrogance. They almost never mention the technical aspects of painting, how the object was made, and if they do so it is often only in passing. Sometimes I shout at the screen, "Show us the painting!!" as the camera floats meaninglessly across the paint surface from a few inches away, the complete thing only seen momentarily over the presenter's shoulder!

I do understand that these are public forums and that criticism of opinion and art can hurt, but without critical dialogue ideas and artwork are never put to the test, probably to the detriment of both.
Rob
  #122   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-27-2012, 08:29 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States
Re: Is art merely the pursuit of beauty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive Green
As for beauty - let me know when you find an uncontested standard.

Beauty is the standard.