Home Forums Explore Subjects Animal and Wildlife Subjects General Reference REFERENCES: Books, Videos….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Leaflin

I searched the forum and found 71 posts with reference to Animal/Wildlife books (72 now :D )
        I’ll start the list with some and hopefully others will add to it.
        Maybe we can keep them all in one place.

“Painting The Secret World of Nature”
        By John Agnew
        North Light Books
        ISBN 1-58180-050-9

“Painting Wildlife Textures Step by Step”
        By Rod Lawerence
        North Light Books
        ISBN 0-89134-669-4

“Painting The Faces Of Wildlife step by step”
        By Kalon and Brook Baughan
        North Light Books
        ISBN 0-89134-962-6

“Painting Nature’s Little Creatures”
        By Stephen Koury
        North Light Books
        ISBN 1-58180-162-9

“Painting Wildlife Step by Step”
        By Patrick Seslar
        North Light Books
        ISBN 0-89134-584-1

“Painting The Drama Of Wildlife”
        By Terry Isaac (forward by Robert Bateman)
        North Light Books
        ISBN 0-89134-812-3

“Painting The Allure Of Nature”
        By Susan D. Bourdet
        North Light Books
        ISBN 1-58180-164-5

“Painting Fur And Feathers”
        Edited By Rachel Rubin Wolf
        North Light Books
        ISBN 0-89134-914-6

“Wildlife Painting Basics, Wolves, Foxes & Coyotes”
        ByJan Martin McGuire
        North Light Books
        ISBN 1-58180-051-7

“Wildlife Painting Basics, Deer, Antelope & Other Hooved Animals”
        By Cynthie Fisher
        North Light Books
        ISBN 1-58180-021-5

“An Atlas Of Animal Anatomy For Artists”
        By W. Ellenberger, H. Dittrich, & H. Baum
        Dover Books
        ISBN 0-486-20082-5

I’ve got/read too many wildlife books to list individually but here’s a link to my favourites –

http://www.jarnie.fsnet.co.uk/book%20reviews/Book%20review%20pages/reviews.htm

How to paint animals - Painting Tutorial videos
        wildlife art lessons[/url]
        wildlife art lessons

animal

Here`s one I`ve used

Drawing Animals
            by Norman Adams, Joe Singer.

I may never be famous or rich because of my artwork but I will continue to draw and paint because of the joy that it gives me.
            - Animal

All artwork and photos posted are copyrighted, please do not copy or use in any way without my permission. Thank You

Larry Seiler

A wonderful source of videos and reference photos for waterfowl and various birds such as hawks, owls…etc.,

The Duck Blind has its own website for viewing and ordering. I own several videos, which are near 45min to 1 hour studies of one pair of a specific species of ducks swimming around, jumping up onto a flat area, preening, courting, you name it. Wonderful references! -Larry

The Duck Blind-
                http://theduckblind.com/

Larry Seiler- Signature Member IPAP; Signature Member American Impressionist Society AIS
                Main website! https://larryseiler-artist.com/

Dark_Shades

[em]Originally posted by snuffy [/em]
                    [B]There is a book called “Painting Wildlife Textures Step by Step” by Rod Lawrence that goes a long way to explaining the fur and feather thing. It isn’t very expensive; somewhere around 20 to 25 dollars if I remember correctly. [/B]

Leaflin

Thanks for all the information so far.
                        I think this will be a great thread and hope to see it grow and grow.

One thing that would be helpful is to include is the ISBN# of the book.
                        On some book sites all you have to do is type in the ISBN# and walla! it appears :D
                        It is generally found on the back cover above the bar code.

Dark_Shades

found this one in a thread :)

[em]Originally posted by Nynna [/em]
                            [B]Hello Gaka,
                            I have recently bought Lesley Harrisons’ book – Painting Animals that touch the heart- & I cannot believe her water splashes/sprays/drops!
                            See if you can get to look at the book.
                            Your water is excellent also
                            Nynna [/B]

Wingnut

Okay, here is my list (so far ;) )

Anatomy of the Horse (1938)
                                Stubbs, George
                                ISBN# 1 85891 387 X
                                [em]This one is very detailed and can be downright confusing to a beginner, however I’m starting to really appreciate it now that I’ve become more serious. [/em]

Drawing and Painting Horses (2000)
                                Oelke, Barbara
                                ISBN# 0 8230 1419 3
                                [em]A nice book, it touches on everything (but for the price has very little depth). It does have great examples of master equine artworks[/em]

Painting Animals That Touch the Heart (2002)
                                Harrison, Lesley
                                ISBN# 1 58180 131 9
                                [em]My current favorite, I’m just learning pastels and this book is a GREAT insperation! Good step-by-step tutorials on eyes and fur that you could probably apply to most mediums, not just pastels. (I’m hoping she’ll do one just on horses someday)[/em]

The Art of Animal Drawing (1993)
                                Hultgren, Ken
                                ISBN# 0 486 27426 8
                                [em]Another of my favorites! A nice (inexpensive!) book on anatomy, dynamic movement, poses, and expression. Covers a variety of different animals. However, all the illustrations are in ink so you would have to learn about color etc… somewhere else. [/em]

Animal Painting and Anatomy (1936)
                                Calderon, W. Frank
                                ISBN# 0 486 22523 2
                                [em]Another good anatomy book. This one covers horses, cattle, and dogs. I like it because it really shows you how the anatomy underneath the skin affects the outside of the animal (all the “lumps and bumps” and why they are there).[/em]

Drawing Realistic Textures in Pencil (1999)
                                Hillberry, J.D.
                                ISBN# 0 89134 868 9
                                [em]If you work for realism in charcoal or graphite this is “THE BOOK”. Very detailed and easy to understand.[/em]

Horses/Oil (1990)
                                Larimore, Cindy
                                (A Walter Foster book)
                                ISBN# 1 56010 065 6
                                [em]A good book for learning to paint the color of horses, and a good tutorial on eyes! Could be applied to a variety of mediums. [/em]

Drawing and Painting Animals (1998)
                                Aldrich, Edward
                                ISBN# 0 8230 3607 3
                                [em]Wow, I forgot I even had this book! It’s wonderful and has great tutorials on fur, feathers, and backgrounds in a variety of mediums.[/em]

I have more, but I think thats a good start ;) sorry if I repeated any already mentioned in previous posts.

`Wingnut

Gaka

Hi Everyone

Here is my collection…a lot have already been covered by previous posts.

Robert Batemans Natural Worlds
                                    Simon Schuster editions
                                    ISBN: 0-684-82986-x

A Book of Robert Batemans finished works, no demonstrations. It was expensive at $100 Singapore dollars= $115 (aus)

Elephants of Africa
                                    Paul Bosman-Anthony Hall Martin
                                    ISBN: 1-85368-025-7

A great Book of Pastel Wildlife paintings. My most favourite and inspirational Book that I have.

Cats of Africa
                                    Paul Bosman-Anthiny Hill Martin
                                    ISBN: 1-85310-936-3

Another Pastel wildlife painting Book, expensive at $90 (aus)

Wildlife painting-Techniques of the modern masters
                                    Susan Rayfield
                                    ISBN: 0-8230-5748-8

A lot of finished paintings…But very short on the techniques!

Wildlife Art
                                    Selection bt Alan Singer
                                    ISBN:1-56496-474-4

A good variation of styles and mediums.

More Wildlife painting-Techniques of the modern masters
                                    Susan Rayfield
                                    ISBN: 0-8230-5747-x

Similar to the previous masters techniques, A lot of finished works…But very little on techniques!

The following 2 Books may not belong here, I tried to find another Book post…if some one know where they should go please let me know. I have found them to be of great value in materials, techniques etc

The Artists Handbook
                                    Ray Smith-Knopf publisher-***.randomhouse.com
                                    ISBN: 0-394-55585-6

The complete, practical guide to the tools, techniques and materials of painting, drawing and printmaking-over 1000 illistrations. Great Book!

Artists Manual
                                    Angela Gair-Chronical Books-San Fran.
                                    ISBN: 0-8118-1377-0

A complete guide to painting and drawing materials and techniques. Great Book!

Seeya

Gaka

Leaflin

Here is a website that has photos of beautiful birds that bswilson1147 found.
                                        Tons of photos :)

http://www.i-bird.com/commonname.htm

thepenartist

Here is a link to webshots… a montage of every known image you can think of… I ususally go to the community postings… search for an image I want and then ask permission from the owner of the images, if I can paint, or sketch them… 9 times out of 10 I get positive feedback.
                                            If you want to become a member, it is free.

http://www.webshots.com

I love this site… it gets addictive.

Kimberlee McPeek
                                            Facebook: Kimberlee thepenartist
                                            http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/25-Sep-2014/20593-facebook_206764855.jpg

Hi,

A member suggested my link would be better suited her – hope nobody minds – I’ve just finished my demo CD and Leopard painting pack, teaching wildlife art step by step, I think they would be of real use to people starting out in wildlife art.

You can find them both on – http://www.onlineartdemos.co.uk

Jason

How to paint animals - Painting Tutorial videos
                                            wildlife art lessons[/url]
                                            wildlife art lessons

Leaflin

Here’s a link mazincurvaceous found on drawing Furry, Fluffy & Feathered

sultry

Hi everyone this is a good thread. :)
                                                    I am from D/S forum and I am in the 101 class which also had us do book reports on our favorite books. class 9 is full of great art book reports for your information. :) post #54
                                                    I did one on Sam Savitt Drawing horses link below:
                                                    https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=238735&page=4&pp=15

God Bless,
                                                    Judy

ligerwolve

Ive also read Lesley Harrisons “Painting Animals That Touch The Heart” and I would recommend it to any one who likes art. But another book is “Anatomy Drawing School” drawings by “Andras Szunyoghy” and text by “Gyorgy Feher”. Its just a good reference book. :cat:

[FONT="Lucida Console"]LIGERWOLVE DESIGNS
                                                        [FONT="Courier New"]ligerwolvedesigns.com

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.