Home Forums The Think Tank Creativity How to keep creativity alive?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    NeoGogh

I work as a graphic designer in a tiny company. My job previously has been to establish their visual identity. Since I have done that, they have become very negligent towards me and the position that I hold and so now my daily work is to make boring lifeless illustrations. Every single day I get topics on a same subject and I make variable illustrations for low quality articles. I also have been asked to take away “art” from my design and illustration and make it modular, so that they won’t need an artist in future. I work overhour and for a very little money and commute for long.
        I plan to move on to a better workplace in 4-5 months. But until then I fear that my daily activity is so mundane that it will rob me of my creativity. This company has no scope for me to grow as an artist or designer whatsoever.

What can I do to still keep my creativity alive despite this mundane tiring situation until I can move on to a better job?

Pthalo White

I can’t give you advice about your employer relationship.

But I can tell you that the author of Catcher in the Rye wrote his novel while fighting WWII in Europe. That’s my nicest way of saying it’s not a good idea to blame your creativity on a mundane job, imo. Creativity is a thread that runs through you 24 hours a day. Keith Richards used to keep a tape recorder next to his bed. One day he taped a string of chords, and now we have the beginning to “Satisfaction’.

In practical terms, when you’re not at work, what are you doing? Does it nurture your creativity? What books are you reading? Do you keep a journal, or sketchbook where you record ideas, musings, and doodling, and/or keep reference materials in? You may not have any control over what you do at work, but you have all the control when you’re not working. How is that time being spent? Use it wisely.

One you’ve done already is joining WC. I just joined myself, and can’t tell you how I love the support and help I receive from other users. Participate in the discussions, read the articles, and the tons of reference materials.

Chin up!

budigart

On the contrary, your creativity should be bursting to get out. Hemingway spoke of this when he cautioned writers not to tell their story when someone asks, what are your writing about. Creativity is like air going into a balloon. As long as your keep it bottled up and don’t let it go, it gets bigger,, stronger and under more pressure. My belief is that this is how it works for all types of creativity, writing or visual. I paint almost every day (except Sundays since I hit 80), and if I miss a couple of days, I can’t wait to get back at it. You seem to be worrying about something over which you have no control. Carry on with your work and do the very best you can. Let the pressure build, but save it for your new employer.

eonworks

In situation like that I would simply do my own creative projects after work.

La_

sounds like the projects you’re given now are quick and mindless – this leaves you time to use company time to make them more indepth/interesting for your own entertainment and future uses like your portfolio. that’s what i’d do anyway, expand my portfolio, update my resume, source better options.

la

marksmomagain

Yeah the issue is not so much with your creativity as it is with your job. Hell I work in a factory and I’m still pretty damn creative.

Most jobs regardless if they are in the creative field or not are going to suck the life out of you. In fact, creative jobs often leave people without energy to do what they want after work.

What I did was bring my Guerrilla Painter box which always fueled my creativity, and became a bit of a security blanket. I would sneak eat lunch at my desk, and during actual lunch would create anything not related to the job. Preferably outside, far away from the grind.

The box in the lid can hold a canvas, a sketchbook and some watercolor paper. I always keep oils, acrylics, watercolors, colored pencils, gouache, charcoal and watercolor pencils in it. There is no excuse not to do something YOU want.

If it rains outside, you have GOT to try acrylic rain painting, seriously, paint an outdoor scene and let the rain fall on your canvas, it is FUN!

If you are a digital artist only, then get an iPad with an Apple pencil. That will always work.

eonworks

Most jobs regardless if they are in the creative field or not are going to suck the life out of you. In fact, creative jobs often leave people without energy to do what they want after work.

This is certainly not true for me and the many artists that I worked with at video game studios. In fact, it’s quite the opposite. If you love your work, then you won’t feel much fatigue afterwards. Sometimes I’m actually energized by my work, and feel great afterwards – even if I worked for 10 hours.

In fact, creative jobs often leave people without energy to do what they want after work.

And where is this “fact” coming from? Have there been multiple studies done that definitively proved this? I supposed that those who are not particularly creative but work in a creative field may feel drained after work because they don’t have enough creativity in them to do the job.

NeoGogh

Hi!
                                    Thank you all for your wonderful responses. Really! I’m grateful.
                                    Yes, I realized I can use the time there for self-improvement for a better job. I tried drawing today in lunchtime but the company’s crappy workstation can’t handle without crashing every 5 minutes. So I will opt for the good old sketchbook.
                                    And,

You seem to be worrying about something over which you have no control. Carry on with your work and do the very best you can.

I think I will always remember that. Thank you.

This is certainly not true for me and the many artists that I worked with at video game studios. In fact, it’s quite the opposite. If you love your work, then you won’t feel much fatigue afterwards. Sometimes I’m actually energized by my work, and feel great afterwards – even if I worked for 10 hours.

And where is this “fact” coming from? Have there been multiple studies done that definitively proved this? I supposed that those who are not particularly creative but work in a creative field may feel drained after work because they don’t have enough creativity in them to do the job.

I agree to disagree, respectfully. You must understand, just because a person loves to make art, doesn’t mean he will be happy do draw mindlessly anything, especially when both the artist and his art is being disrespected. An artist finds joy in making things that he loves, that he finds meaning in. That is why most senior artists define themselves at later stage like traditional Portrait artist, Landscape Artist, UI designer, Logo designer etc. They can do other types of arts too but those are what they love to do and thus they mastered those parts.

Working in a video game company and working in a godforsaken company for a little money, stuck with a crappy headache giver workstation for 8-9 hours and making boring things on the same topic every day that you don’t like, which you don’t find any joy in making, which nobody values because nobody will ever look back at those – has a difference.
                                    I also felt energized and bursting with creativity when I was making their visual identity. Because I loved doing that, or when I spent sleepless nights just to perfect that illustration that made sense to me, conveyed a meaning and mood and emotion, or that design that solved a problem successfully, I also felt energized.

Not when I’m treated as a machine making things for the sake of making only.
                                    Also remember, not even the best artist in the world will feel creative to do a job if he is not getting paid enough to pay his bills or even being respected.

Hence, I feel it will be absolutely unfair to doubt people’s creativity.

eonworks

I agree to disagree, respectfully. You must understand, just because a person loves to make art, doesn’t mean he will be happy do draw mindlessly anything, especially when both the artist and his art is being disrespected.

If the company that hired you underpays you, disrespects you AND the work that you do for them, than you are working at the wrong place. I would never work in a company like that. I would find a better job ASAP, even not art related job would be better in situation like that. I would then work on improving my portfolio in my spare time, and use that to get a better art job.

NeoGogh

If the company that hired you underpays you, disrespects you AND the work that you do for them, than you are working at the wrong place. I would never work in a company like that. I would find a better job ASAP, even not art related job would be better in situation like that. I would then work on improving my portfolio in my spare time, and use that to get a better art job.

Exactly. You are right there. And that’s what I’m doing or started to do.
                                            How I ended up with such company is a long story but yes I’m always looking for opportunities to part with them as soon as possible.

You are blessed with a great career and great friends! Congratulations. :heart:

From my experiences, and stories from most of the people I know suffer from creativity hits when it comes to their various creative careers. Sorry about the loosely thrown out “fact.”

If you want evidence or posts about the daily grind being detrimental to creativity, read every other article from the career sites such as LinkedIn, Monster, etc. I’m sure their facts are 100% legit. :wink2:

Before I was able to do art full time, I worked many jobs. The worst ones were the ones where I had to be creative in ways that closely resembled what I did in my art. For me, that was drawing, painting, or even graphic design — not for myself, but for the movies and commercials or companies, or whatever. I much rather do something non-related to art if I had to make money to supplement my art. It helped to free up my creativity solely for my art. That’s just me. Everyone is different. But when I did jobs that were non-art related, I was able to put in both more hours at a job and more hours into my art, believe it or not. It was because I was just happier. I still needed to like what I was doing work-wise though. The people, relationships, etc. That’s always important. Everyone deserves to be respected no matter what they’re doing.

Use Her Name

Honestly– what others have told me, and what I can attest to is never do your creative work as a job. When I say “job” I mean non-collaborative “shift work” on a regular basis. Most successful artists (understandably my experience is not vast, so take this with a grain of salt), are independent piece-workers or free-lancers. Artists including writers, musicians, actors and of course the conventional visual arts have control over their product in a way that a worker does not have. Obviously, you must satisfy some middleman (publisher, director, gallery owner etc.) but how you opt to do that is often your own choice.

This is easier said than done.

It means, in many ways that you have to start from the floor up, and revise your understanding of what a “normal” life should be.

If you do stick with “jobs” then consider giving yourself time limits at the companies you work for. ie, I will work for a company for 2 years and then move on to something more fulfilling. Have any retirement preparations or health care done on the free market, separate from the company. If you start getting bored with a place, start looking for a new job.

Once you secure a new job, go to the old boss and tell him or her that you will accept free-lance assignments (if you still want anything to do with them) but you will have the option to turn down work that you find uninteresting.

You be your own boss.

No longer a member of WC. Bye.

Rachel

Then I think quitting this job would be the best solution. To be honest, you could do better leaving this company.

_________________________________________________________

Hey guys! Rachel here! I love everything high-end and high-fashion. Recently, I am reading an article about replica handbags in which the author explains how high-quality imitation products are these days. I am surprised by the quality she shows.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.