Home Forums The Learning Center Color Theory and Mixing Does turpentine evaporates in oil complete when cures?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mal3

Hi,

does turpentine evaporates in oil complete when cures or bind parts with oil so volume remains the same? I would like to spray my own mixtures with 9 parts of terpetine and i would like a thin film back.

Pinguino

Evaporates. Volume does NOT remain the same.

WFMartin

Hi,

does turpentine evaporates in oil complete when cures or bind parts with oil so volume remains the same? I would like to spray my own mixtures with 9 parts of terpetine and i would like a thin film back.

Yes, Turpentine evaporates, and if it is a good quality, should leave no trace of anything.

However, I most certainly would not recommend “thinning” your paint with 9 parts of Turpentine! The resulting paint would likely be terribly underbound, causing the oil to be washed off the pigment, leaving it to chalk off when touched, even after it has dried. The resulting paint film would likely be very weak, and fragile!

While a great volume of solvent (ANY solvent) does not change the volume of the paint, it DOES have a tendency to re-arrange the ingredients of the oil paint, by re-distributing the drying oil that serves as the binder of oil paint. This re-arranging leaves the pigment particles “starved for oil”, and very powdery.

9 parts of Turpentine seems like a very questionable mixture.

If you are serious about trying this mixture, I’d suggest giving a trial testing, before committing an entire painting to it. Test the nature of the paint after it has dried.

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
                https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

Gigalot

Turpentine can oxidize and polymerize to resin. That can darken over time. Therefore, turpentine must be stored into air tight and dark colored glass bottle.

contumacious

What will you be spraying it with? That will help determine the needed viscosity.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
                      • The topic ‘Does turpentine evaporates in oil complete when cures?’ is closed to new replies.