WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2010, 10:05 AM
Minnesota

Hails from United States
Re: Bathers - WIP

It's looking great so far, and I can't wait to see how it unfolds.
[email protected]
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2010, 10:14 AM
Resting in Peace
Brazil

Hails from Italy

"Ugly stage"? The painter is able to see, ahead of it, the hidden beauty that will blossom later...

In any case, the reflexions in the water, clear and crispy, are already an announcement of the aliveness and splendor of the final result!

Eduardo
"God gave the artist a window towards other worlds"
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2010, 03:23 PM
A Local Legend
Oregon Coast

Hails from United States

looking really good Kerry, the male movement is much improved...
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2010, 06:29 PM

Hello all! Thank you for your kind & encouraging comments! I am sure Kerry will really be happy because of them! I predict that her next peek at her current stage of the painting will be a clean & crisp step ahead! I'm eager to see it! chiron22
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2010, 01:56 AM
Veteran Member
India

Hails from India

Beautiful work Kerry. Loved the reflection and feel . Great Going

All best wishes,

Cheers, Rahul

www.rahulparekhwildlife.com rahulparekhwildlife.blogspot.com
Facebook
Imagination is more important than knowledge. - Albert Einstein
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2010, 06:52 AM
Lord of the Arts
Azle, TX

Hails from United States

Eric, Thanks! I hope it continues to please!

Eduardo, Ha! This is but one of many stages that may be more or less ugly than the last! I'm still basically working out my ideas and working them into the underpainting...a lot of flip-flopping around while I try to figure out what is actually going into this painting! LOL! It would be so much easier to just copy a photograph...but then, all the centaurs I've ever met are ridiculously camara shy...so that won't work!

Colleen, Thankyou! Those first drawings and blockins of the centaurs are pretty much just place holders for me. I try to get it close to what I want initially, but, I tend to build up my figures as I go a little bit here n there as I work the background, and, ruin them, and, re-create them, again and again... Once I get past this blocking in stage, I'll start the finish in ernest by working from background to forground. When I finally get to each figure, then I'll try to get them just right! I know I do things the hard way when I paint, but, I've been painting this way since I was about 11...

Chiron22 and Rahul, Thankyou, guys!

I took a day off but jumped back into it today and continued working out the under painting...trying to get everything placed right and working up the colors and values. Here it is as it now stands;

First off, I added dioxizine violet to my palette. I could make this color with the ultramarine and the magenta, but, I was using a lot of it and just decided to make it easier on myself!

Full image. Mostly worked the right side, but, also developed the rock wall and its reflection on the left.

This is a close-up of the right side showing the changes to the waterfall. This is gonna change again, lol!

I tried something differant with the rock wall and waterfall, but, I don't like it as it is right now and will be changing it again! It just doesn't work as it is and is very distracting to the painting. I figure I two options with it:
1. Change it back to a single wall of rock with a minor rift with a trickle of a waterfall and keep it as unobtrusive as possible.
2. Move the wall behind the male all the way to the right until it is just in front of the males horse hips, and, then push the far wall with the falls that can just be glimpsed in the current version higher up and further back into the distance.

I think either one of these options can work, but, it can not stay as it currently stands. Chiron22 , you of course get the final say in this, but, I would appreciate some feedback on this...which would be the better solution?

ETSY FACEBOOK FAA EPILOGUE
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2010, 04:11 PM

Dear Kerry & all, I liked no.1 the solid wall with a trickle when you transferred the image to the board. I really cannot visualise your 2nd thought. Bring the small waterfall to the right near his behind? Each one would look good knowing your artistic skills & determination. But I still think a trickling down the solid rock face in the center as you transferred it will work. Also less waterfall splashing leaving the pool nearly mirror smooth for the reflections. Those are my thoughts. Would any one consider otherwise? You are doing fine, Kerry! No rush, so the picture falls into place. But DO ask me or the watchers any questions you want about the creation process & I am sure we will answer as best we can. We all love the progress so far! Sincerely, Chiron22
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2010, 04:50 PM
Lord of the Arts
Azle, TX

Hails from United States

I think I like the first idea too. Don't really know why I changed it, except that the fissure started looking more and more like a glimpse into another space, so, I just went with it, lol! I like the idea of moving the falls further to the right. I think it will help the comp to get the falls further away from center. Thanks Chiron!

#39   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2010, 06:41 PM

Hi Kerry, OK...Solid wall with trickling waterfall further right. Try that if you like. LOL! We will see how it looks. Chiron22
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-03-2010, 02:45 AM
Lord of the Arts
Azle, TX

Hails from United States

OK....'solid wall with trickeling waterfall further right'....probably you didn't mean quite so much change as this... Somewhere along the line here, did I not say that things could change a bit during the process? If not, I should have, lol!

My intial ideas for the rock wall was a looser, more crumbly and stratified rock with chunks of rock broken off as the main kind of erosion. Now, I have gone to a smoother sandstone type wall with big smoother wind and water eroded hollows. It will also have many cracks and fissues and mulit-colored vertical stains from dripping water and creeping plantlife. A few dangling roots and ferny growths could add to the secret grotto feel of the piece, too. So, what I have here now, yet again, is a basic groundwork that will need much more work to make it come alive, but, I feel this has much potential...just waiting for it to dry to get back into it!

#41   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-03-2010, 05:52 PM

Hi Kerry! You did tell me that changes would be made as the picture progressed. * Look at "Anniversary Adornment"* MANY, Many changes to the rooms & their items in them! NOW you have a landscape, small though as it is, has MANY things in it! Rock, plants, water, animals, etc. Everything HAS to fit in the painting the right way to be appealing to most everyone looking at it! LOL! The small trickling water fall to the right looks good. It is enough behind the rock out croping near the Male Centaur to keep the water in the pond to remain Mirror smooth! A bonus positioning. The Rock wall looks very solid in the back ground. I know you will add dangling roots, cracks, stains, plant growth, etc. to make the place as believable as can be! EVEN the Centaurs will be as believable as can be! LOL! I Love your talented work & Believe in YOU also, KERRY! I hope I commented enough on what you asked of me. DO comment again if you need to. Sincerely, Chiron22 PS. ??? LOL!
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-03-2010, 10:11 PM

PS. Kerry, DO forget my e-mail. I re-read your earlier message which read," When I get to the figures, I will do my best..... Thank you! Chiron22
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-04-2010, 08:21 AM
Lord of the Arts
Azle, TX

Hails from United States

LOL, Chiron! Yes, those figures are on the backburner right now and will continue to get kicked around until I get that background settled! Won't be too much more to get the back done, and then I will start working to finish working from background to foreground.

#44   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-04-2010, 08:30 AM
Lord of the Arts
Azle, TX

Hails from United States

No new update today. I did work on it some, but, not enough to bother with pics. I spent most of my paint time finishing up this little baby centaur I just listed on ebay and sold to Chiron22. This is a 5x7. Just thought you all might like to see it.

"Baby Centaurfold"

#45   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-04-2010, 09:00 AM
Resting in Peace
Brazil

Hails from Italy

This "baby" is delicious: slender, joining to his human, infantile beauty the natural spontaneity of his animal forms!

Eduardo
"God gave the artist a window towards other worlds"