WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-26-2010, 02:30 AM
Lord of the Arts
Azle, TX

Hails from United States
Re: Bathers - WIP

Hi Eduardo and Eric! Thankyou both for your constructive comments! As Chiron22 stated, the pose of the male centaur is a pre-determined part of this painting, so, it is unlikely to undergo much change in its position. Please do not think that your comments are wasted and ignored, however. They are not! I did in fact work out a couple more quick sketches to explore the ideas of the centaur drinking with a cup, and, kneeling down, purely because of your comments here.

Nothing wrong with this idea...it could certainly work in another painting, but, the scenario we are building here is that this is an improptu visit to the pool during a day of travel, and, the couple have shed thier clothing and travel gear on the bank to enjoy a cool bath and a refreshing drink. Sure, they may have cups in thier camp gear, but, why bother with them if they are getting in the water already?

I'm sure a centaur would kneel down when it had to, but, I see no reason it would not be easier to just bend over and use his arms and hands to pick things up or cup water to drink. Does it look strange to us humans? Sure it does! Centaurs are strange-looking creatures! Even after as many centaurs as I have drawn and painted, every once in awhile, I'll look at my 'taurs and think..."Ewwww! That just is not right! Ha! But it is all just fantasy, and, I guess it can be anything I and my client want it to be.

ETSY FACEBOOK FAA EPILOGUE
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-26-2010, 03:29 AM
Lord of the Arts
Azle, TX

Hails from United States

Vonnie! Hello again! Yes it has been awhile! I haven't actually had the chance to use the CAS Alkyds yet. I only purchased 3 replacement colors and a big white plus Jerry's threw in two free sample sized tubes of U. blue and hansa yellow, a nice surprise! I'm hoping the CAS fall somewhere between the Griffins and the DaVincis in thier drying time. The Griffins dry a bit too fast, but, the Davincis are much slower, not much faster drying than regular oils...at least the dioxizine violet isn't. Either way, it is just nice to have some good quality alkyds available now.

Colleen, thankyou sweetie! I hope this comes out as well as that last one, but, I don't foresee as much changing around as that other one had! LOL on the writer...doesn't it usually work the other way around?

Rahul, Thankyou! I totally agree regarding horses getting on thier knees, especially in trained acts. I cringe every time I see stuff like that! Having bad knees of my own, I may be overly sensitive to the notion, but, I can't imagine a 1000lb creature getting down on those delicate little knees any more than it absolutely had to, because even in a healthy one, it has to be a bit painful at least, and, the potential for serious injury is there, too.

Chiron22, Don't I know you? LOL! Welcome to Wet Canvas! Sorry you have been having a difficult time getting signed up and able to post, but, I'm glad you made it! Please feel free to continue posting your thoughts and comments here throughout this wip. I'm sure we will all enjoy your point of view as the commissioning buyer of this painting!
This is the painting that Chiron22 is refering to, that will be re-created as part of this wip. This was a 5x5" oil.

Now back to the wip! I reworked the tail on the selected drawing to show two differant versions. She will be splashing herself with water using her tail.

In this sketch, she has her tail tied up with a fashionable braid and clasp leaving her with a 'pony tail'

In this version, her tail is au natural and is flung across her hips as she enjoys her dip in the pond.

this is the panel! I painted it this mid-value greyed red-violet (it is more yellow in this photo than IRL) so I could build up to my lightest lights and to reduce the absorbency of the gesso ground. This fully dry now and ready to go. Next step is to get the drawing transfered to the panel and get painting!

Last edited by KerryOriginals : 06-26-2010 at 03:33 AM.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-26-2010, 08:54 AM
Resting in Peace
Brazil

Hails from Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryOriginals
...I did in fact work out a couple more quick sketches to explore the ideas of the centaur drinking with a cup, and kneeling down...
Thank you for your kind words: in fact, joining ideas, comparing them and finally choose one is the best process for improving.
About you two sketches, I liked a lot the second one: he reaches the water better, the movement is present all along his body, not constrained just to half of it, as in the first version.
In any case, I understand that the final judge is the client...

I'm sure that this work will be a complete success!!!

Eduardo
"God gave the artist a window towards other worlds"
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-26-2010, 02:48 PM

Hello Kerry & fellow art lovers! An observation that no one has talked about the Drinking Centaur. In the Colored Original he is further in the pond & deeper in it. Which makes it easier cupping his hands to gather water to drink. If Kerry does the same in the NEW pictire & puts the male centaur a little deeper in, the look should be fine. Kerry is so kind & generous to draw sketches for her followers to show different views to comments made. COOL! I have given Kerry the go ahead to transfer the sketch to the board with a few changes. We should see great progress in the coming weeks! Go Kerry!
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-26-2010, 10:03 PM

Hello Every body, I am VERY satisfied with the corrected sketches & have given Kerry the go ahead on the painting. May her talent exceed OUR expectations!
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-26-2010, 11:55 PM
Lord of the Arts
Azle, TX

Hails from United States

Eduardo, Thankyou! One of the best things about WC is being able to bounce ideas around and get feedback from other artists. With work I do for myself, I am more likely to make suggested changes...if I agree with them! LOL!

Chiron22, As I discussed in our emails earlier today, I have made some changes and have transfered the drawing to the panel using a white tracing paper. Being able to move the entire right side over about 1 1/2 inches to fill in the extra length of the panel only improves the composition, imo. I knew I had the extra space when sketching on the 11x14 paper, but, I find it best for me to have a little wiggle room for the composition as I tend crowd the edges if I'm not careful.

So, here is the final images on the panel, a full view and some close ups.

thankyou everyone for your comments! I hope to have some paint on this soon!

#22   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-27-2010, 01:44 PM

Dear Kerry & everyone, Thank you for your comments on this new commission. We all have worked out the bugs in the sketches & now it starts! I think this painting #52 will be colorful & wonderful when finished! I will continue to ask Kerry in the future to do commissions for me. I hope some of the watchers & commenters will give her a try. She does SO many creatures well! Animal & Fantasy alike. Sincerely, Chiron22
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2010, 06:06 AM
Lord of the Arts
Azle, TX

Hails from United States

Thankyou, Chiron22!

I didn't get to do much painting today, but, I did take some pics of my palette and the first bit of paint on the panel. I'm starting this off fairly dark and will build up to the lights after I get into it more, so, this underpainting will be quite dull to begin with...just bare with me a bit here and hopefully it will start to come together as I envision it!

That's my workspace! It's a cluttered mess, but, nobody better mess with my mess! LOL! The left side of the table is hopeless and I refuse to show it!

This is my usual full range palette which includes Griffin, DaVinci, and CAS AlkydPro paints, with the colors selected to approximate the color wheel based on Stephen Quiller's color system. I don't use every color in every painting and usually go with a very limited palette that I choose for each painting. Colors are: Titanium white, Cadmium yellow medium, scarlet orange, Vermillion hue (until I find a better replacement), Cadmium red medium, Quincridone red, Quincridone Magenta, Dioxizine Violet, Ultramarine Blue, Pthalo Blue, Pthalo turquois, Viridian, Emerald Green. Earth colors I still like too much to do away with, Burnt Sienna, Burnt Umber, Venetian red.

This is the palette I selected for this painting, but, if I need it I will add other colors. I think this will give me what I need though, so, I don't anticipate adding more colors. These colors are T. white, Cad. Yellow M., Emerald green, Quincridone Magenta, Scarlet Orange, Ultramarine blue, and burnt umber.

This is where I pull the paint together and pull it down with a little white to give me a variety of colors to start off with. Note, that I place completments together, eg. emerald green/q. magenta, and, burnt umber/ultramarine/scarlet orange. These colors neutralize beautifully without changing hues. I use mineral spirits to wash brushes and Gamblin Galkyd Lite, or M. Graham Walnut Alkyd medium to thin the paint with if needed. Mostly I use the paint straight from the tube, though. My palette is a Paragona glass palette that I painted the backside grey. Brushes are Silver Brushes Bristlon filberts, rounds and flats, and for finer detail I use Princeton Umbria rounds or any other brush I can find that holds up to the solvents.

This is the first blocking in, but, I didn't have time today to get more than this small section. Sorry there is a lot of glare on this. Hope to have more done next time.

#24   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2010, 11:31 AM

Hi Kerry, Such a small area to work your miracle oil paintings from! Such talent! I am still amazed! Thank you for showing your oils & how they are mixed & blended into other colors & their variants. I hope, but know you have enough light to paint by. The first amount of paint you have used on the board shows the female character already filling the area she is in. Looking very good already. Can't wait to see the coming days as the whole board comes to light & color! Thank you Kerry. I cannot say it enough. You really have brightened my life in your amazing oil paintings coming to my Mythic/Fantasy art collection! Cudos to you! Sincerely, Chiron22
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2010, 10:38 PM
Lord of the Arts
Azle, TX

Hails from United States

Hi, y'all! I finished blocking in the main colors today. There will be more adjustments to this, but, the bones are on the panel now and I can start to flesh it all out. My lighting will be coming from the upper right and that rock wall behind the girlie-taur will have a deep undercut (if I can get it to look right) that will keep the background dark so the centaur stands out against it.

Here I'm filling in more of the under painting

And the underpainting is done.

Chiron22, This really is the 'ugly stage' in a painting! It is so undefined and blotchy at this point, but, it will get better! Yeah, my studio space is small, but, I really don't need any more that that. It gets a bit cramped when I do something really big, like the 24x30 and larger sizes, but, I don't do them that often anyway! Thankyou again! I have really enjoyed painting these centaur paintings for you!

#26   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2010, 11:08 PM

like the layout in the first sketch with the female larger and and foreground and with the wider river, i think it would be cool with the male farther down stream in the river moving towards her as though he was trying to catch up to her -
dave
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2010, 11:15 PM

i can see a whole series of these - great work
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2010, 01:53 AM
Lord of the Arts
Azle, TX

Hails from United States

Thankyou, Dave!

#29   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2010, 02:02 AM

Hi Kerry & all! You ARE right when this little bit is the "Ugly Stage" But only for a bit. LOL! The Male in the background is looking very good already with his Buckskin coloring! The Lady in front is reflecting in the water as good as she looks now. LOL! But she & the reflection will get considerably better if I know your work! And I DO! It is coming along very fast. But I know with every day & every tweak that goes into it, it will be like a Photo when finished! Do you want to tell the followers & commentors the title we agreed upon? Go ahead! And tell them why we agreed upon it. I'll be watching the progress on this... "To be Great" painting through the coming days with anticipation! GO KERRY!
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2010, 04:07 AM
Lord of the Arts
Azle, TX

Hails from United States

OK! We are calling it "A Chance Find" because it can be taken two ways, either the 'find' is the centaurs finding a secret oasis, or, the art viewer 'finds' the centaurs in thier secret place! LOL! We have fun coming up with names for these. I let Chiron22 name it because I wasn't feeling too creative in the name game at this point and was all for calling it just "Bathers".