Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum Glazing with Liquin is killing my brushes! Help needed…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Quality

What’s the best way to get heavy medium from brushes? Even after I clean them with turpenoid followed by soap and water, they’ll still become hard once they dry. Even when They seem to be fully cleaned. Any recommendations?

Avena Cash

I would try oiling them as a last step–in a non-drying oil such as mineral oil/baby oil.

:music:

What’s the best way to get heavy medium from brushes? Even after I clean them with turpenoid followed by soap and water, they’ll still become hard once they dry. Even when They seem to be fully cleaned. Any recommendations?

clean with turpentine not turpenoid. turp is stronger. noid is milder and better for use in painting

"it's alright to be judgmental,,,,,,,,if you have taste"...MILT

WFMartin

Well, soap and water truly is quite effective; however the following precautions need to be observed regarding this “blanket statement”.

First, soap (real, bona-fide “soap”) is only effective when used with soft, or artificially softened water. Real soap will actually curdle and become lumpy when used with hard water. Since it is the suds that causes the bristles to become clean real soap is rather ineffective in hard water.

For use with hard water, detergent is necessary. There many of those on the market, such as most liquid dishwashing detergents, and even some shampoos. Most of these purporting to be “soaps”, are truly detergent, because nobody wants to wash their hair in material that causes such gunk to be created, rather than cleaning their hair.

Anyway, I’d recommend that you use whichever of these is most appropriate for you, and simply wash your brush in it again, and again, and again, etc., etc. until you think it is perfectly clean……then wash it 3 more times.:D

Most painters who claim they can’t clean their brushes with soap and water either aren’t using the proper “soap”, as I mentioned, or merely are not scrubbing the bristles enough number of times.

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
                https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

Toril

I use Master’s Brush Soap – the soap that is actually made to clean and preserve expensive oil painting brushes – and I just started using Liquin. I did notice that the brushes need to be washed as soon as I am done with painting, and a little more thoroughly. However, I have no problem getting them completely clean with Master’s Brush Soap (thank you, NancyMP! :heart:), without using turps or any other solvents at all first. Just warmish water and Master’s… takes 5 minutes to clean up. :thumbsup:

Why are you glazing with a “heavy medium”?

Forcing the waveform to collapse for two decades...
                    http://www.syntheticskystudios.com
                    Hilliard Gallery, Kansas City, "Small Works", December 2019

JamieWG

Are the brushes natural hair or synthetic?

Hudson Valley Painter[/url]
                        Hudson Valley Sketches -- Reviews/Lightfastness Tests/Art Materials
                        [/url]
                        One year from now, you'll wish you had started today.

You could try Dawn dishwashing liquid soap. The people who clean ducks and other wildlife after an oil spill use it to get the oil off the critters.

When life hands you lemons, add some tequila, a sprinkle of salt and call me!
                        Reaperc89

+1 on the masters brush cleaner. I have one of those small jars with a wire mesh in the bottom of it filled with OMS that almost immediately gets 95% of the paint/medium out of my brushes, and then warm water and the masters brush cleaner to finish it off. I leave some of the brush cleaner to dry on the brushes, and they are maintaining their shape extremely well. The whole process takes 5-10 minutes for half a dozen brushes. I use Gamblin’s Neo Megilp alkyd medium when painting, and I’ve also used M. Grahams alkyd painting medium, never an issue when cleaning using this method.

Note: I must say the jar with the wire mesh in the bottom of it made a remarkable difference in how effective the OMS were. Just plain OMS in a jar never quite cut it.

Gigalot

Dried Alkyd is hardly removable. Try acetone or nitrocellulose solvents.

To prevent alkyd hardening between brush fibers, after using liquin, clean brush into sunflower oil first. To remove residue Alkyd from it. And then, you can use this “Turpenoid” for final brush cleaning.

Anonymous

Liquin is fully soluble in OMS (turpenoid) only!
                                    Other more exotic soaps or more powerful solvents are not required to clean up from Liquin.
                                    Something else is going on like maybe you are waiting too long before cleaning them off and they have started to set up or partially solidify. The open time will be variable by a number of conditions, yours may be fairly short. So I would just keep them clean them more frequently.
                                    The same thing will happen when any oil paint or oil medium that is left residualy in your brushes.

Even when They seem to be fully cleaned.

If the brushes were clean then they would not harden up.
                                    They may seem to be clean when they are actually not so. There may be material still left down near the ferrule, etc.

Dcam

Just a little tip: Here is an unusual idea set forth by a WC member I can’t recall the person.
                                        It works beautifully on all my brushes. Leave them overnight in pure “Murphy’s Oil Soap” and rinse the next day…..Wow!.

Anonymous

I have used liquin and it cleaned up just fine with OMS, but when I tried to look up this info to verify it from Winsor Newton, I see that they have changed their website and I can’t find this info anywhere. If there is any problem with the OMS you are using then just step it up a notch to regular mineral spirits. Of course following that with soap and water would not hurt a thing either.
                                            But if you want to store your brushes in a non drying oil such as someone mentioned, do it after the mineral spirits, then if you store in something like mineral oil, you can wash that out before reuse.

Ron Francis

I’m not sure what’s going on here either, although I don’t use alkyds and haven’t had any experience with it.
                                                Maybe it is setting up in the brush before you clean them as Sid suggested.
                                                If you’re re-using your solvent then all I can suggest is to do a final rinse in clean solvent before washing.

Ron
                                                www.RonaldFrancis.com

ummmmm..has anybody asked what his brand of brushes is? maybe it’s a nail polish brush

"it's alright to be judgmental,,,,,,,,if you have taste"...MILT

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
                                              • The topic ‘Glazing with Liquin is killing my brushes! Help needed…’ is closed to new replies.