Home Forums The Art Business Center General Art Business Do I need a blog?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    DoctorT

Hi!

Searching the Web some time ago, I found that many pundits suggest to “add value” to one’s website by offering “valuable content.” “Content is king,” they say. My website, which is a gateway to my Etsy art shop, was developed using HTML/CSS/PHP. So, adding “valuable content” (such as uncommon art topics) is very, very time-consuming. So, I created a blog on the website using WordPress. As it turned out, using WordPress is as time-consuming.

Before the blog, I was publishing a PDF newsletter about uncommon art topics. I am planning to continue publishing the PDF newsletter and, additionally, to publish YouTube videos and PDF mini books. Everything is available on the website.

Do you see any reason for keeping the WordPress blog?

Thank you!

Dr. T

blondheim12

I’ve had a blog as long as there has been such a thing. I post once a week on topics of business for artists, collecting art and occasional thoughts about my process of painting. When I look at my web site stats, there is a huge jump on viewers every Wednesday, on blog post day. I don’t know that it relates directly to sales, but it does bring interest to my web site. I also have a newsletter that goes out twice a week about my life as a country painter. I also have a facebook group where I tell stories about my career. They are all slightly different and put tons of content out for me. I agree that marketing is all content now.

If you write a blog, make sure you write it consistently and publish on the same day each week at the same time. People learn to look forward to it.

Linda Blondheim Art
            http://www.lindablondheim.com
            Blondheim Art and Stories
            http://www.blondheimartandstories.com

DoctorT

Dear blondheim12,

Thank you for your reply!

So the bog and the newsletter display different topics?

Dr. T

Use Her Name

I know a few “big money” type artists who pay a kid to do the website, and really don’t even touch a computer much after that. In my mind, there are enough “business” topics that a person who is selling something must do. If you have both a job and sell art, all of your time would be consumed. I used to write a blog, but I gave it up. All I could say were things that had already been said by thousands of others. I think it is something best left to other people. It is up to you.

No longer a member of WC. Bye.

DoctorT

… I used to write a blog, but I gave it up …

Dear Use Her Name,

I do everyting myself, so I probably will stop the blog.

By the way, where is La Tierra del Encanto?

Dr. T

bongo

I kept a street photography blog for a few years. It still exists out there on the (cob)web — http://www.thebongolian.com I did it out of pure love for street photography. It was popular enough at the time to put me at the top of google’s search pages for “bongo”. But I never tried to commercialize it, never used it to sell work. I posted nearly every week and felt compelled to provide new insights or new takes on the medium.

But the bar I set for myself was unrealistic. What started as a labor of love became a struggle and burden. Then when cellphone photography took hold, the landscape changed and I lost all motivation.

But I digress. Speaking of digressing, I think that is an important element for a successful blog. People might come for “nothing but the facts, mam” but they stay for the soap opera – the personal, the personality of the blogger. You have to be willing to give more than your time. You have to bare part of your soul, show some humanity and humility.

Information, facts can be had with a few keystrokes on google or wikipedia – but it’s you as a surragate friend, fellow traveler that they (unconsciously) seek and keep coming back for.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/18-Sep-2019/1999899-sigsmall.jpg
                            STUDIOBONGO

Harold Roth

I have a couple of blogs, but they are mostly for myself–a place to keep notes about things I am working on. In the past I had a popular blog, but it got to be a PIA to keep up. Nowadays I think that many people who are online are using a phone, and that makes reading a blog a bit more difficult. Plus young people just plain don’t read as well as older people. I’m going to keep up my blogs, but not in order to attract sales. Just as a record for myself.

I think Blondheim’s way of blogging–posting every week on the same day and same time–is important to blog success. I can’t seem to manage it, though.

DoctorT

I think that is an important element for a successful blog. People might come for “nothing but the facts, mam” but they stay for the soap opera – the personal, the personality of the blogger. You have to be willing to give more than your time. You have to bare part of your soul, show some humanity and humility.

Information, facts can be had with a few keystrokes on google or wikipedia – but it’s you as a surragate friend, fellow traveler that they (unconsciously) seek and keep coming back for.

Dear Bongolian,

I agree that “socializing” leads to “bonding.” However, my purposes are strictly commercial and, to be very honest, I just don’t have the time!

Hopefully, as I improve the quality of my newsletter, people will realize that the newsletter may save them time spent on research.

Dr. T

DoctorT

… I can’t seem to manage it, though.

Dear Harold,

That’s my problem.

Dr. T

blondheim12

The topics are different on the blog, newsletter, and facebook group.

Linda Blondheim Art
                                            http://www.lindablondheim.com
                                            Blondheim Art and Stories
                                            http://www.blondheimartandstories.com

Use Her Name

By the way, where is La Tierra del Encanto?

The state motto for the state I live in (New Mexico) it means “The land of enchantment.” It is not really “enchanting” here, but there are lots of artists and thinkers around here.

No longer a member of WC. Bye.

bongo

….Katy
                                                    Making art since 1973-ish
                                                    [COLOR=”Red]Blog under reconstruction[/COLOR]….

Katy, your blog has been under construction for over 9 years, how’s it going?

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/18-Sep-2019/1999899-sigsmall.jpg
                                                    STUDIOBONGO

Snow_tabby

I have had a blog since 2006. My art related blog is used to display my latest stuff and basically info about materials being used, the reason why I did what I did, that sort of thing. Then I usually offer a link of some kind relating to the piece.
                                                        So Yeah I think its good to have a blog to bring more insight to your work. 🙂

Profi9le

I’ve been blogging since 2005. I’m not just a painter, but also a writer and teacher. (I teach workshops and write art instruction for The Artist’s Magazine and Pastel Journal.) I’ve found my blog to be, after my web site and my mailing list, my most valuable asset for doing business. I believe that in today’s world of social media, it is difficult if not impossible to go into depth on any topic via Facebook, Instagram, etc. The blog allows me to go deep and to engage my audience. Yes, it takes work, but it’s worth it–to me.

Michael Chesley Johnson AIS MPAC PSA
                                                            www.MChesleyJohnson.com

DoctorT

I’ve been blogging since 2005 …

Dear MChesleyJohnson,

I do understand the importance of blogging. But, how do you get people to view your blog? I have a website with no traffic, I don’t have a mailing list, and I have no social followers. Where do I start?

Dr. T

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.