Home Forums Explore Media Acrylics Soluvar Gloss and Matte Varnish by Liquitex

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    white_wit

Hello, I purchased Soluvar Gloss and Matte by Luqitex, with the intention to mix both varnishes and find a middle ground in between. On a piece of canvas, I applied separately Gloss, Matte, 50/50, 80% Matte and 20% Gloss mix and thick Matte layers as well in different sections with the same colors beeing used on each and one of them. I let it cure for 4 days, after applying 2 layers of the above mentioned with a 12h gap between the layers. I had applied isolation coat beforehand, I know only of one made of Soft Gell Gloss mixed with water if needed to be mentioned. All of the sections look the same! That’s why I decided to experiment with a thick matte section, but I received the exact same result. They all look shiny, no kidding. I used a soft synthetic brush for the purpose, which I cleaned with water before using a different mixture. I made sure the traces of water are minimized before dipping it in the new mixture. I stirred every single one of the mixtures but not in the bottle itself but in a little container, where I will dip my brush from. Those are the steps I took, what am I missing? and why the matte looks nothing like a matte but rather a gloss?
        This is the first time ever I am working with a varnish, which I am planning to incorporate into every painting in the future.
        I will appreciate a guidance on the matter.
        Thank you in advance.

Dcam

Sorry this happened. I like Liquitex satin varnish and Golden Satin varnish.
            A nice soft sheen and can be mixed with gloss.

Welcom White.

fedetony

Hi White, welcome to WC…
                If I want gloss and matte in the same image I tend to use a layer of the transparent Acrylic medium. This works better than the varnish for making a shinny not shinny difference in the image.
                Hope this helps .. :)

Federico Garcia
                My Blog
                C&C always welcome :D

"...when someone gives a critique of your work, fear not. It usually means they like or care more of your work than when they just pat your back." - Tiago

white_wit

Thank you Dcam, I am glad to be part of this community.

In relation to the Liquitex Satin Varnish you mentioned, unfortunately, this varnish is non-removable compared to the Soluvar Varnish by Liquitex but I see that Golden have a removable Polymer Varnish in Satin, which I will give a try.

Fedetony I am not sure if I understand it correct, do you use the transparent Acrylic medium as a final coat? What I am trying to achieve with my attempts is
                    combining/mixing two different varnishes in order to create a customized mixture, which I then apply to the canvas. If you by any chance are using a medium as a final coat, you might want to replace it for a varnish. I saw a video on the subject, where it was explained that the medium applied is on the same principle like the skin, which has pores and those pores tend to collect dust in time, but the varnish seals all that. :)

Thank you for your advice, meanwhile, I am trying to crack the case with the Soluvar Varnish. I wouldn’t give it up till I found why this matte varnish looks nothing like a matte varnish.

fedetony

I thought you wanted to have both effects in a single painting; Like a part matte and another part gloss. If you want to have a middle point use satin varnish :)…

Federico Garcia
                        My Blog

"...when someone gives a critique of your work, fear not. It usually means they like or care more of your work than when they just pat your back." - Tiago

Many people use the acrylic medium as an isolation coat before applying varnish … but there are also professional artists who do not varnish at all.
                        If you’re looking for something less shiny than the Liquitex is giving you, then maybe the Golden will work.
                        Good luck ….. and welcome to the forum:)

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

billyjo30

What is the benefit of varnish? I use a gel medium to give a nice even light gloss.

Joan

Homepage:joanrussellart.com

Guide

You may need to stir the varnish in the bottle. The matting agent my have settled to the bottom.

Click here to go to the information kiosk My You Tube Channel 48hlc48
                                The only person you can't fool, is yourself! (Oz The Great and Powerful)
                                "If you think you can, or think you can't, your right!"
                                "The thing about art is that life is in no danger of being meaningless," Robert Genn

bongo

Last winter I tried heating my house with a kerosene heater – that is made for indoor use. I did some experimenting with the fuel and totally screwed up. Black smoke belched out and covered the ceiling the walls – making them many, many shades darker.

I have lots of my own paintings hanging up – they say paint what you like right :). Just counted them – 18 – ranging in size from 16″x20″ to 30″ x 40″. Only two of them are varnished because I’m on the fence about what is the best varnish, etc.

Not a single painting was affected! I know this sounds crazy and you’re free to not believe me if you wish – but I found NO residual smoke, no damage, on any of them.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/18-Sep-2019/1999899-sigsmall.jpg
                                    STUDIOBONGO

fedetony

As I understand the varnish over acrylics only purpose is to add a protective layer for UV light. Maybe Acrylics are not necessary to be varnished, but you aid the lightfastness by adding a varnish layer, so colors preserve better.
                                        The other point is that the light reflects different through different materials. When adding a layer of varnish the colors become more vivid due to internal refraction/reflection properties of the varnish layer. Also causes all this other optical effects as the shine, or the total reflection of light at some angles.

Federico Garcia
                                        My Blog

jennifervs

Satin and Matte varnishes have matting agents in them If you don’t stir, those agents will settle, resulting in a more of a gloss.

Did you try contacting Liquitex?

I love varnishing my paintings. It makes them look so much better, I think, bringing out those transparent darks. I generally use the solvent based varnishes.

white_wit

I transferred the varnish into a bigger jar, where I can stir it properly and yes you want to do that because the matting agent is all the way in the bottom of the bottle with not enough of a space for something sturdy to be used when stirring. I applied one layer so far and I can see the difference in appearance, will apply the second layer today and check the result tomorrow. I was thinking of contacting Liquitex about the matter. Also, I will purchase Golden Varnish and try it out.
                                                Why is it good to have a varnish as a final layer is because anything else but varnish works on the same principle as your skin, which has pores and those pores collect dust over time. Varnish seals all that. I do not exclude any other method used, in a matter of fact Varnish smell is a serious business, you don’t really want to expose yourself to the smell but I am not giving up on it, yet.

LisaInOregon

As I understand, the point of varnish is that it can be removed easily… you apply it over a layer of medium (isolation coat) so if there does end up being penetrating grime you can remove the varnish with the grime, and the presence of the isolation layer prevents damaging the actual paint. I’m not sure a one-time incident is a test, since acrylic can just be wiped down anyway… it’s airborne oily/waxy particles (from cigarettes, candles, fireplaces, cooking) that accumulate and oxidize over years and years. My family are smokers and I’d definitely varnish what I send to them!

I have heard that to get matte the matting agent is titanium dioxide particles… and so you can lose a little dark deep color if it’s not gloss…

C&C welcome, the more incisive the better...

contumacious

I have all three of the Golden removable varnishes, matte, satin and gloss. You can mix them with each other to obtain an extremely wide range of different sheens.

The one thing I don’t like about them is how they can dissolve the previous layer if you apply two coats but as long as you get it right with one coat they are excellent. They also work really well on encaustics.

Dcam

I’ve only been concerned about varnish being removed in future from my oil paintings.
                                                            A good durable permanent acrylic varnish can be cleaned easily on an acrylic painting.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.