Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum Underpainting style

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Richard P

Just curious what you do for an underpainting.. :)

1. No underpainting
        2. Earth colours underpainting
        3. Greyscale underpainting
        4. Full colour underpainting
        5. Other

Delofasht

I use the “mud” leftover on my palette from the last painting to do the sketch and underpainting for the next one. Sometimes I will use white to make a value study out of it, other times I will try to introduce some very vibrant pinks and violets in with the mud. Nothing is ever very consistent with what I do for an underpainting though, if I do one at all.

- Delo Delofasht
            Richard P

Well Delo, how inconsiderate of you to break my poll! ;) :D

JCannon

An admission. On several occasions I’ve tried to emulate the Maxfield Parrish approach of painting an initial blue layer. It never really works for me.

The biggest problem is that I’m constantly changing the drawing/design. Can’t help it. There are always flaws I don’t see until too late, and I’m forever reworking everything. A writing teacher once said “Good writing is rewriting.” That’s true. For me, it is also true that good drawing is re-drawing and good painting is re-painting. It may be that the “Parrish” approach simply requires a much more confident draftsman.

The other problem with “beginning in blue” has to do with value. Basically, you’re not establishing lights and darks; you’re establishing lights and mid-tones. You always have to keep in mind the fact that subsequent layers will significantly darken the first layer. Thus, a mid-blue will end up as a near-black.

From an art historical perspective, the great mystery remains Leonardo da Vinci’s method. To judge from his two unfinished works — the St. Jerome and the Adoration of the Magi — his initial layers (in what looks like umber and sienna) could be very free. One might almost say that his brushwork was a bit sloppy.

Yet the final result was very tight, very delicate and perfect. The modelling of the skin tones is very subtle.

In the final painting, the paint film seems very thin. Not a hint of impasto. Everything seems transparently glazed, as one might expect from a Renaissance work.

Yet we don’t see the free brushstrokes of the initial layers, which means that he covered them an opaque layer at some point. The opaque layer must be very, very thin. But it’s still opaque.

That’s not something I can achieve with the flake whites available to me.

How did he do it? At a certain point, you just have to shrug and say “Magic.”

Don Ketchek

If I do a landscape – no underpainting. When I do a figurative work, I would say I do an underpainting about half the time. I’ve had good results the last couple paintings using an underpainting, so I may do more! I have been using a mix of sap green, van dyke brown and white, so the result varies from a gray, green-gray to brown-gray. Since I am using the underpainting for the purpose of establishing the drawing and values without having to worry about color, the actual color of my underpainrting is not something I really care about.

I know many landscape artists like to use a complementary color underpainting, which you may want to add to your poll.

Don

ntl

I just finished a landscape, 11×14, oil, with no underpainting. I did tone the canvas and did a relatively accurate charcoal drawing of the scene.

The second is 16×20, also oil on a toned canvas. I did a charcoal drawing on this canvas using a lot of measuring and adjusting. I went over the charcoal with burnt umber, then did a grisaille.
                            It’s been years since I’ve done a grisaille, so then I did some reviewing, and corrected that work because I realized I had gone way too dark. I went back and did a lot of repainting, lightening most of the grays considerably. Even so I missed a few.:confused: So I may adjust a few more areas before going on.
                            Re what JCannon said in post 4, “keep in mind the fact that subsequent layers will significantly darken the first layer. Thus, a mid-blue will end up as a near-black…” He’s right, and that should be emphasized. Emphasis mine.
                            I notice that on this piece that some areas seem to soak the oil in quickly, so on my next one, after gessoing the canvas, I may do two toned oil layers.

TomMather

I have painted in the past using the grisaille technique but seldom do it any more. It is too time consuming for me, and I feel that I achieve better results without it. However, I almost always tone my canvases in burnt sienna, and then sketch in the composition and darkest values with either burnt umber or ultramarine blue, sometimes mixed. Next I paint my first layer of paints, starting with the darkest values/colors and working to light.

Every now and then I’ll do a grisaille style painting, and in those cases I’ll paint the monotone layer with burnt umber and titanium white, over a canvas toned with burnt sienna. I use browns for under painting because I mostly paint landscapes, and browns are nice complements for blue and green.

JustAStudent

However, I almost always tone my canvases in burnt sienna

Thank you for giving me an idea of how to use all the burnt Sienna I’ve amassed.

TomMather

Thank you for giving me an idea of how to use all the burnt Sienna I’ve amassed.

Now, if you could just figure out what to do with all the Cadmium Red. … Oh yeah, tomatoes.

JustAStudent

Now, if you could just figure out what to do with all the Cadmium Red. … Oh yeah, tomatoes.

On a burnt sienna background.

No joke, If my tomato plants ever start growing again, I’m gonna be painting a lot of tomatoes.

WFMartin

I usually create gray underpaintings for my flowers, and still-lifes. I have used many sorts of “gray”; lately, I’ve been using up some of my free samples of Torrit Gray from Gamblin.:)

When I paint landscapes, and even portraits, I just start with a relatively full-color version of an underpainting, usually leaning heavily toward dark values.

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
                                                https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

Richard P

Bill, why do you not use gray underpaintings for your portraits?

TomMather

The classic color for under-painting grisaille portraits is chromium green toned with white, if I recall correctly.

WFMartin

I know that it seems strange that I would use a grisaille for beginning my flowers, and still-lifes, but I use a full-color underpainting for portraits instead.

The only reason is that I sorta’ “bought in” to the progressive focus method that I have found so extremely useful for achieving an accurate likeness when painting portraits. And, that method begins with a very blurry, soft, full-color version of the subject. There is no other reason for my not using a grisaille underpainting for my portraits in oils.

At times I have considered modifying my progressive focus method to include a grisaille underpainting, but …..I have just not got around to it as yet.:)

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
                                                            https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

Richard P

Thanks for explaining, that makes sense now :)

Looks like Earth colour underpainting is winning so far!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.