Home Forums Explore Media Photography The Shutterbug Pub Cotton Ginning

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    damar

We went to a Cotton Gin Festival today;

Two John Deere harvesters (from an earlier set)
        (there were no harvesters within the festival venue today except for a vintage one)

Cotton is baled into modules

The modules are brought in by truck

The modules are brought into the gin on roller conveyors

Things start moving, pully’s, chains, fans etc

Cotton (lint) is now being taken from the module and processed to remove seed and debris

Sorting seed from lint

Collection of seed
        (I think)

Bagging
        Samples are taken from each bag and sent to the Gov. for grading

This is where the fans discharge air and lint dust outside the gin

We ride our scooters to this town often.
        The cotton modules are driven down the local roads (late Oct/early Nov)
        and there will still be bits of cotton lint in the road side weeds through spring time.

Fujifilm X100F, XT20 + Nikon Camera Bodies & Lenses
        Photos are ©2021
        Greenhill

Wow! that green monstrosity thingy in #2 looks like Darth Vadar’s staff car.
            An interesting series, Patty, and all to make new nickers and jocks!

MY FLICKR
            OLYMPUS OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3[FONT="Georgia"]
            The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill

Humburger

Very nifty, Patty. My dad made a video at a cotton gin in Alabama, where I was born and my parents live. He also wrote a song about cotton. LOL! My mothers parents worked at a cotton mill and my mother grew up in a mill village. Cotton used to be king. :-)

Ginny
                www.virginiacmccoy.com
                C & C Welcome

damar

Wow! that green monstrosity thingy in #2 looks like Darth Vadar’s staff car.
                    An interesting series, Patty, and all to make new nickers and jocks!

Hahahahah!
                    I know! They are huge and frightening!
                    Can’t you just see skivvies flying out the back as it mows down the field!
                    That would be a funny cartoon!

Very nifty, Patty. My dad made a video at a cotton gin in Alabama, where I was born and my parents live. He also wrote a song about cotton. LOL! My mothers parents worked at a cotton mill and my mother grew up in a mill village. Cotton used to be king. :-)

Hey Alabama! :thumbsup:
                    One of the old store fronts used to have a “King Cotton” sticker on it.
                    I took a photo of it a few years ago.
                    That’s so cool about your Mom and Dad.
                    Video and songs…need to make his song the soundtrack for the video!
                    The lint dust in the gin-mill was everywhere.
                    I bet it was awful for your Mom in the summers.

I love driving through cotton country in the late summer/early fall.
                    Its gorgeous. Like fields of white puffy flowers.

Thanks for looking both of you!

Photos are ©2021

Patty, I enjoy going to tours like the one you just shared with us. l love cotton.
                    Those huge harvesters sure can make your teeth rattle. I bet the fields are beautiful just how you described them. Thanks for bringing these back for us. This was almost as interesting as the chocolate factory I toured but I am sure it did not smell as good. :wink2:

Photography is the art of observation. It has little to to with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them. Elliott Erwitt
                    Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, Zuiko 14-150 mm zoom, Zuiko 2.8 60mm macro, Sigma 2.8 Fish Eye. Nikon D5100

Anonymous

Fascinating process showing massive equipment and huge modules of cotton, all very well captured.

Those harvesters are beasts!

Don

Nice photos. That would be an interesting place to visit.

He also wrote a song about cotton.

There was a cotton mill in a nearby town from me when I was in high school. Some of my friends would work there during the summer. I wrote a song about it being torn down, years later. Nothing much left of it now.

Photo site - http://donlwilliamsphotography.com

"A moment in time
                            Immortalized forever
                            With silver and light"

damar

Patty, I enjoy going to tours like the one you just shared with us. l love cotton.
                                Those huge harvesters sure can make your teeth rattle. I bet the fields are beautiful just how you described them. Thanks for bringing these back for us. This was almost as interesting as the chocolate factory I toured but I am sure it did not smell as good. :wink2:

Thanks Lorell!
                                Chocolate factory…LOL dangerous place! But yes, I bet the aroma was out of this world!

Photos are ©2021
                                damar

Fascinating process showing massive equipment and huge modules of cotton, all very well captured.

Those harvesters are beasts!

Thanks Dave!
                                    I can’t even imagine the cost of all that field equipment.
                                    (or how many seasons it would take to pay it off)

Photos are ©2021
                                    damar

Nice photos. That would be an interesting place to visit.

There was a cotton mill in a nearby town from me when I was in high school. Some of my friends would work there during the summer. I wrote a song about it being torn down, years later. Nothing much left of it now.

That’s why I feel compelled to go out and take photos of old buildings etc.
                                        Because as land and property values increase (along with taxes), the old is sold off and redeveloped.
                                        Our small county’s agri lands are disappearing quickly.

Thanks for looking!

Photos are ©2021
                                      Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.