Home Forums Explore Subjects Still Life In the Style of Jon Redmond

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    AllisonR

This is not original work. Not a mater copy either, but it is inspired by Jon Redmond. You can see his work here. I love his use of hatched color and soft versus crisp edges. So I setup a similar still life and emulated him. I learned a lot doing this.

My guess from looking at his work is that he makes a loose value painting in neutrals then paints alla prima on top, going from large brushes and strokes to final details with a thin brush or palette knife. I did basically the same, although I went from loose to tight with the paint drying in between the layers.
        “Silver” – about 25 hours, oil on canvas, 55 x 60 cm

The study – about 50 minutes – the funny thing is I painted the study after I painted the final, which of course is backwards. But I had extra paint left over that I liked and wanted to use up some of it instead of trashing it.

Being born places you at a greater risk of dying later in life.

http://www.artallison.com/
        Sparro

The blue and red are a nice combination. I think a few dark spots of color placed in the right spots would make more contrast in the silverware and make it pop. Now, the composition makes the centerpiece feel a bit lonely as it floats in the darkening background. It’s still a very nice piece.

Allison, wow, this is incredible work! I’m loving the bounce light reflections in the metal.

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

billmahler

As a whole, I prefer the lower one’s spontaneity.
                The technique on the upper is really good in spots.
                The backlit knife and fork on the viewer’s upper right are especially well done.

I only regret not drinking more champagne -
                Winston Churchill.
                http://billfitzgerald.blogspot.com/

Most excellent!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.