Home Forums Explore Media Sculpture Working with Plaster

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    john Stenger

I am not experienced in any form of sculpture, but I have used plaster in the past. I am looking to make some large artistic wall hangings out of plaster maybe 2 or 3 inches thick, but I’m concerned they might crack in half while moving them about! Is there anything I could add to the plaster to make it possibly more flexible or from cracking? I had read somewhere about adding white wood glue to plaster for this purpose. Also I’m concerned about not using anything that might be a health hazard for me, such as some polymers might be!

What are you going to attach the plaster to? Are these going to be like a painting on the wall but in relief? If so, you could make a wooden frame with a wood backing in which to attach some screws too. These screws would be beneath the surface of your plaster and just give it some added strength like rebar does for concrete.

Adding fiberglass to the plaster will give a lot of strength as well. There are different types of fiberglass. Some are shredded and can be added directly into your plaster and other types come in sheets that like thin fabric. You dip the fiberglass fabric into the plaster and let it soak in and then lay the fabric into a bed of plaster that you’ve already applied to your sculpting surface.

Look forward to seeing what you are working on.:clap:

[FONT=Arial Narrow]~Sculpturedolls
        [FONT=Arial Narrow][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry, live simply, expect little, give much, fill your life with love,scatter sunshine, forget self, think of others. -Norman Vincent Peale

[FONT=Georgia]My website My Blog Join me on Facebook

john Stenger

In other words a flat backboard for the piece! that would become part of the sculpture when hardened. Thats a good Idea! Also as I have never done this, If a piece was approx. 2 ” thick over maybe 4-5 ft. would it be extremely heavy when hardened, maybe too heavy to attach to a sheet rock wall in a home?

It would be heavy at 2″ thick by 4′ to 5′. Of course, attaching it to studs would be the way to go and it would hold. I’ve cast a lot of my sculptures solid in plaster and they are table top size (19″ tall or so) and very heavy.

Here is a plaster product that I have seen sculptor friends use that is lightweight and easy to use. https://www.sculpturedepot.net/clay-wax-tools/product.asp?Forton_MG_GFRC

I know I’ve seen wall relief plaster videos on YouTube. One guy sculpted directly onto the wall. If you want to make a frame and would like the piece 2″ thick, then perhaps get your general form built out with some chicken wire and hang plastered fiberglass over that. The voids behind will lighten the piece. If you use Forton MG, that will lighten it even more.

[FONT=Arial Narrow]~Sculpturedolls
            [FONT=Arial Narrow][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry, live simply, expect little, give much, fill your life with love,scatter sunshine, forget self, think of others. -Norman Vincent Peale

[FONT=Georgia]My website My Blog Join me on Facebook

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.