WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Glass Art > Let's Talk > Glass Works Lobby
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2003, 10:29 AM
A WC! Legend
Bucks County, PA

Hails from United States
Question I have my show banner, but how do I hang it up?

I have my new banner for LJ Beadfest next month, but no idea how to hang it up so that it looks neat and clean in my booth, and for the booth next to me.

Do you use pins, or wire to suspend it from the pole/curtain wall?

The vinyl sign is 2' x 6' across, and has 5 grommets (one on each corners, plus one grommet in the center top). Here is a photo from LJ's website of the show last year, so you can see the pole/curtain dividers I will have to hang it from (I'm not up against a wall).

Any ideas? I'd sure appreciate it, so I can get the hanging hardware/materials early. Thanks! Val

Last edited by ValorieCox : 09-29-2003 at 10:32 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2003, 10:45 AM
Enthusiast
Boise, Idaho

Hails from United States
Val, I don't have a good answer for you, but I LOVE your banner!

I'm sure regular tradeshow goers have better info than I.

I do have a question, how did you prepare your images for large format printing like that? I have made a goal to get setup for shows in the next few months, and this involves all the show trappings...and I am not sure how the images will "blow up".
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2003, 10:49 AM
A Local Legend
Saint George Island, FL & Stafford Springs, CT

Hails from United States
Val - from your pic, I really can't tell how you would go about hanging it. But I have a question. Who did your banner. I want to order one myself and I'm afraid I am not going to have enough lead time. Although I think Kinko's could probably put something "stock" together for me. But I do have a design that I would like to utilize.

Thanks for your help. Sorry I can't help you!

apt

A great exercise for the heart is to reach down and lift someone up.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2003, 11:03 AM
A WC! Legend
Bucks County, PA

Hails from United States
Julie, Pat, This is the place where I got my banner made.

http://www.vinylbannersprinting.com/...inting_top.htm

They were wonderful to work with, and it only took 1 week. They gave all the spec's for how to make it on their site. I did it in Photoshop, (my first time in this program, I just followed the banner company's tutorial). It was the same price for 4 color as 1 color, so of course, I went with 4-color.

I sent the image via email, and they followed up with a phone call confirming they had it. They even take Paypal on-line.

Also learned later it was the same price for a 4'x8' banner as the 2'x6' banner I ordered, oh well! PM for price details. Pat, just a standard bead photo, set to the highest resolution I had. Of course if you look closely, you can see the pixels, but from a show-distance it's fine!

Thanks for the comments, and I know someone here can suggest how best to hang it. Val
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2003, 11:13 AM
Enthusiast

Hi Val,

Your sign looks great!

Something I can help with here! I used to do a ton of show booth decorations for cooperate clients when I was in the special event business. You have a lot of different options here.

I usually used the cable tie method since it's fast and easy and you can pull those suckers pretty tight so your sign will hang straight and not wobbly or droopy.
I hate seeing droopy signs and I'm sure that you're fussier than I am!

1:
Get some thin cable ties from the hardware store and cable tie the grommets at the top of the sign to the post the booth curtain hangs on. (the thinner cable ties will thread easily through most of the show curtain fabric since it's a loose weave)

2:
You can thread fishing line through the curtain and the grommets, if you anchor your corners out to the end posts it will keep your sign nice and taut.

3:
You can bend wire into hooks that fit over the rod and through the grommets. Remember that the top rod in your booth will probably be 8 feet tall (that's the height most booths are anyway, once in a while you'll find a 12 foot tall pipe and drape but that's quite rare) I'm short so reaching was always a problem for me. I fell off a stool doing a booth installation in Las Vegas and spent most of the show in a wheelchair....don't try that!

I'm terrible at explaining things so hope some of this makes sense & helps you out.

To be certain whatever you do will go up quickly and easily at the show I'd practice it at home.
(I'm a big believer in doing a trial run of anything, especially since once you're there at the show you might not have the time or the supplies to wing it.
Thank goodness I'm out of the special event business!!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2003, 11:18 AM
A Local Legend
The Carolinas

Hails from United States
Val,
What a wonderful banner!!
Elegant!
When I have had to hang similar banners ( when I worked in the other realm) I used these plastic strip things. They are like the things police use for "mass" arrest. I did a quick look and only found this pic.
You can get them at most any hardware store and they work wonderfully.
Good luck.
Beth

"In the South, the breeze blows softer...neighbors are friendlier, nosier, and more talkative. (By contrast with the Yankee, the Southerner never uses one word when ten or twenty will do)...This is a different place. Our way of thinking is different, as are our ways of seeing, laughing, singing, eating, meeting and parting. Nothing about us is quite the same as in the country to the north and west. What we carry in our memories is different too, and that may explain everything else." --Charles Kuralt in "Southerners: Portrait of a People"
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2003, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member
Las Vegas, NV

Hails from United States
Val,
It looks like you got some good advice on the Banner hanging. I just wanted to chime in and say WOW what a beautiful banner. Thank you so much for the link.
Beth
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2003, 11:35 AM
Enthusiast
Beautiful Southern Coast of Maine

Hails from United States
Val, Lezlie had some great ideas, but I thought of one as I was reading. What about those metal shower curtain hooks, you know the ones like they have at a gym? They're larger and more rounded at the top (to go around the pole) and at the bottom of he circle they narrow & drop down (kind of like a big, closed in question mark).

I don't know if that helps or leaves you scratching your head.

In loving memory of TJ, 2/28/85-5/9/04. We'll never forget your beautiful smile.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2003, 11:52 AM
A WC! Legend
Bucks County, PA

Hails from United States
Thank you Lezlie and Beth! Yes! Fred has tons of those little plastic ties here in everysize imaginable--I never thought of that! (note to self: don't fall off my stool )

Beth and Lori, thank you! Yes, I have some of those shower curtain metal hangers too--I didn't think of that either! You all are great and I'm taking all these things with me to the show.

thanks! Val

Last edited by ValorieCox : 09-29-2003 at 11:58 AM.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2003, 12:02 PM
Enthusiast
somewhere in Kansas

Hails from United States
Hi Val,

Lots of times there is a "show" sign with your booth number and name already hung in your booth. I simply re-use the metal "S" type hooks that are holding this sign for my own banner. But it's also a good idea to have a backup like the plastic ties.

Another hint/note to self....don't stand on the metal foldup chairs while hanging banner. Not that I would EVER do that...nope not me. (leaves a nasty bruise on your knee and ego when it collapses on ya)

See ya soon!
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2003, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member
overlooking the Susquehanna

Hails from United States
The shower hooks could be very cool! I have some in my cubicle hanging over the tops of my fabric-covered bulletin boads. They have a nice spiral or daisy pattern on the front and I hang little ornaments, etc. from them to jazz up the joint. It was a good deal at Big Lots....like $4 for a set of 12, all in tones of lime, blue, purple, pink, teal. So many to schoose from....the right set could add a neat touch to your banner and cover the grommets.

Can't wait to see your booth & beads in person!
Karen
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2003, 12:07 PM

Hails from United States
This also brings up an interesting thought- I always bring duct tape OR masking tape and scissors (heavy duty) to shows, because when I don't.... I always need them. And for shows I drive to I also bring a step stool.

-Coren
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2003, 12:16 PM
Lake Orion, MI

Hails from United States
Val,
I'd also cart along some fishing line and a heavy duty needle. If the setup with the zip ties isn't taught enough for your taste or you need a little reinforcement, the fishingline could be sewn through the curtain and it wouldn't be obvious.

~AJ
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2003, 12:31 PM
Enthusiast
Portland, OR

Hails from United States
Hey Val,

Can't help you on advise, but it looks like you got plenty.

I just wanted to say the sign is beautiful and classy (as usual). I wish you great sucess at the show.

Kristi

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Willy Wonka

I think I should warn you all, when a vampire buys it, it's never a pretty sight. No two blood suckers go out the same way. Some yell and scream, some go quietly, some explode, some implode. But, all will try and take you with them. Edgar Frog
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2003, 12:38 PM
On the shores of beautiful, clean Lake Superior in Michigan's Upper Peninsula

Hails from United States
Lots of good advice here for hangy thingies.

I just wanted to add my congrats on a terrific-looking banner. Very professional and not "busy." You'll look mah-vel-ous, dahling!

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
~ Sir Winston Churchill