Home Forums Explore Media Oil Pastels Oil Pastel Studio My courgettes

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    alhagi

I finally decided to post 2 photos of this recent painting. Its real colors are somewhere in between ;)
        Thanks for looking.
        Elena

terriks

Hi, Elena! :wave: I like your painting. Yes, photographing paintings can be challenging, since the lighting can so drastically change the color casts of our work. I’m going to guess that your big leaves are *mostly* those lovely shades of green (rather than blue), and the flowers are *mostly* those lovely shades of yellow/orange (rather than yellow/green). ;) Am I close?

You did a great job with your drawings of everything here. I also like your background colors – in both versions.

What size is this, and what support did you use?

Terri

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!

Lovely, Elena! I like your subject having 3 flowers.
            I know some of those photographic challenges. I’ve even taken another photo the next day out of pure frustration with getting the colors right. What software are you using for your photos?

Christel

alhagi

Terri and Christel, thanks for your comments.
                These 2 photos were taken with the interval of approx.10 minutes. The first photo was taken by old Kodak and the second by recent Nikon. I find that Kodak takes the colors closer to the original and Nikon manages more details.
                I have doubts about the upper background leaf. Isnt it too vague? Maybe I should put more details in it and strengthen its colors?
                Should I put more details in the soil? What do you think?
                The size is 50cm X 50cm. Senneliers, canvas.

At the moment your first painting looks like this

If you were to darken your soil then your flowers would ‘pop’ more.

Do you take photos in raw format? Much easier to manipulate values, colors and temperature of painting.

Christel

alhagi

This is a very helpful idea, Christel. Thank you :)

SarahY

Morning, alhagi! Lovely painting, excellent shapes. As tuscanny said, some extra darks would make it even better :thumbsup:

http://www.shyeomans.co.uk
                        \m/ neue deutsche härte \m/
                        Nothing left but smoke and cellar, and a woman with a black umbrella...

laika

This is so nice to look at! Delicate and intense (those blossoms!) all at once.

Lamar

Art is life's dream interpretation.
                            - Otto Rank

alhagi

SarahY and Lamar, thanks for your comments.
                                Elena

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.