Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum is linseed oil toxic? and…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    brushmarx

Hi! Was wondering if linseed oil was toxic. Also,inregards to M Grahams’ walnut oil and mediums: the bottle on the walnut oil medium says it dries faster, what does the bottle that says walnut oil do? Why do you like to use it? Is it toxic?
        Thank you all! maria:rolleyes:

maria marx
        www.mariamarx.com

I can tell you that “for me” one drop of linseed oil on my skin and I’ll be sick for up to three days:( So have to wear gloves and be very very careful when using oils. I haven’t tried the Walnut Oil yet, but would be interested in others views on this. Azure

rroberts

Raw linseed oil is practically non-toxic. It has historically been used as a laxative. It is well absorbed through biological membranes such as the stomach and skin. Linseed oil can be irritating to the skin and is known to contain potent allergens. Cautions against the use of boiled linseed oil are common in health literature due to toxicological concerns about its additives. Thermopolymerized linseed oil (heated to high temperatures) may be toxic to the liver.
            (http://www.greenconsumer.cc)

Walnut Oil, on the other hand, is a widely used food item, but a percentage of the population have allergic reactions to some or all nuts and nut products.

NOTE! If you have health concerns about your personal experience with either of these oils, you should consult your physician.

Walnut oil drys somewhat differently than linseed, sometimes a bit faster. M. Graham’s claims about faster drying might lead you to believe there’s a significant difference between the two. M. Graham walnut alkyd medium, though, probably does dry faster, but it is an alkyd, therefore a quite different critter from regular walnut oil.

cheers!

-- Robert
            Calvado

When I’m in shortage of olive oil, I use it (linseed oil) in my salads as a dressing.

turlogh

You can buy both linseed and walnut oil in health food stores (the linseed is labelled “flax seed oil”). The stuff used for paint is processed differently, but essentially the same. They are natural and non-toxic.

David Rourke

I understand the processing of linseed oil for painting involves adding metallic dryers which might make it somewhat toxic. Raw linseed/flax oil as a food oil is not recommended as a cooking oil but has the health benefit of omega-3 fatty acid as found in fish.

-DBC

David Blaine Clemons
                    ----------------
                    My Website
                    My Blog

gunzorro

Metallic driers aren’t used to process Linseed so far as I know.
                        It is edible and completely safe, except for slight risk of possible allergies or psychosomatic reactions. Jim

Calvado

As I said, try it in your salad… delicious :) lololol

I understand the processing of linseed oil for painting involves adding metallic dryers which might make it somewhat toxic.

Nope, not in the standard types.

“Boiled linseed oil” that you’d see in a hardware store will sometimes contain metallic driers though. These driers, if present, would tend to be highly toxic – cobalt and manganese are often used – but they’ll come with appropriate health warnings if they do.

Einion

Do you know if your colour is off in hue, value, chroma... or all three?

Colour Theory & Mixing forum WetCanvas Glossary Search Tips Advanced Search Acrylics forum Acrylics - Information Kiosk

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linseed_oil
                            “Boiled linseed oil was used as a paint binder or as a wood finish on its own. … However, today, metallic dryers are used instead of heat. The use of metallic dryers makes boiled linseed oil inedible.”

Maybe it’s just not always the case. Art supplies aren’t always good about detailed labeling as for food or hardware products, to a lesser degree. There’s a bottle on a grocery store shelf up the street from me that says “100% pure linseed oil” and nothing else on the label. If it’s something that might be a health risk, it would be wise to try and contact the manufacturer to get more info.

-DBC

David Blaine Clemons
                            ----------------
                            My Website
                            My Blog

turlogh

I don’t recommend eating linseed or walnut oil sold for use in painting. If I happened to accidentally ingest a small amount, I wouldn’t worry unless it was specifcally labelled as containing driers or other toxic substances.

David Rourke
                                gunzorro

Any reputable art materials maker is not going to add something toxic without telling the buyers! You won’t find any quality artist linseed products with driers or toxic additives. I don’t know why this is not sinking in.
                                    Are you worried there is a conspiracy here? :) Jim

LGHumphrey

So is it OK to use the flax-seed oil from a health food shop for painting?

Lawrence Humphrey
                                        Torrelles, Spain

rroberts

So is it OK to use the flax-seed oil from a health food shop for painting?

That’s a good question! I don’t know. However, I hesitate to recommend health-food store flax oil for painting. I bet Einion and/or Turlogh probably have more specific info on this.

For your own satisfaction, though, why not do a little test?
                                            On a piece of glass (or similar non-absorbent surface), paint a patch of both oils. Let them dry, expose them to sun, let them sit around for a while. Then examine the film and see if one is stronger than the other, or a different color. In fact, for a more thorough test, make patches of oil alone and oil with pigment.

I recall reading somewhere that there are actually two kinds of flax produced, one specifically for the paint industry. However, I don’t know if that’s true, and wouldn’t be able to find the reference at this point.

cheers!

-- Robert
                                            tk04

The largest “problem” with artist’s linseed is probably that it’s self-combustible. I know about fires caused by it. A rag with linseed can start burning without any specific fire-source, like a match or some other open fire. So it’s important to have a safe procedure for disposal of rags, and alike.

If you buy linseed oil, or walnut, in a food-store you wouldn’t know how weel-refined it is, or the general quality of it. Artist’s linseed oil doesn’t cost much if you buy a larger amount of it, so it’s not much to gain on buying it in food-stores.

Common sense says that one shouldn’t put artist’s linseed oil in food – for the same reasons – the producers aren’t making them for food, but for painting, so it may contain “something”, even if it normally won’t.

Some people may be allergic to linseed oil. As for that, if you get too much exposed to for instance normal detergents, you can develop allergies gradually. That’s not uncommon among people that make a living from washing. Nut-allergies are known to be outright dangerous.

Karin

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
                                              • The topic ‘is linseed oil toxic? and…’ is closed to new replies.