Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor The Learning Zone Manganese blue hue?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

I got the full Daniel Smith dot card and I’m entranced by the Manganese Blue Hue. Looking up the pigment information I see it’s PB 15, which is the same as phthalo blue. I know you can have different paints made with the same pigment that are really different in appearance, e.g. PV19 or PBr7. Is the Manganese Blue Hue different enough from the regular old phthalo blue that it’s worth getting? If not, is there a different Aqua/turquoise paint that you recommend?

Kathryn in Seattle

I’d say they are different. Manganese is a little brighter and a more of a sky color. Phthalo reads darker to me. Also, Manganese granulates more, while Phthalo is more of a flat wash.

I’m biased though, Manganese is my go to blue. Phthalo used to be, but it was replaced.

virgil carter

I use American Journey/Davinci Manganese Blue.

Sling paint,
        Virgil

Sling paint,
        Virgil Carter
        http://www.virgilcarterfineart.com/

janinco

It’s different enough that I keep it on my palette. I mainly like it because it’s easy to lift. It blends well with ultramarine blue for skies.

Jan

ThatsNiceDear

I have WN Manganese Blue Hue, but I suspect the same applies to DS MBH:

This paint attempts to behave like Manganese Blue, rather than just have the same colour. Genuine Manganese Blue granulates and is non staining. Pthalo Blue is a non granulating and staining pigment, just about the least granulating and most staining pigment there is! In order to make MBH less staining, there’s a lot of gum arabic in the paint formulation. How successfully this approximates Genuine Manganese Blue you might have to decide for yourself, but I have a tube of WN MBH for sale if anyone wants it :lol:

Cedarita

I love DS manganese blue. It is quite different from phthalo.

ThatsNiceDear

But it is Phthalo Blue. The pigment is the same, albeit, a version of PB15 that’s chosen to be somewhat similar to the unavailable MB. The vehicle is different, more gum arabic.

Maybe it’s just me, but I’d rather companies just discontinued paints when pigments become unavailable, rather than trying to replace them with other pigments. New Gamboge replaced Gamboge, until its pigment became unavailable so was replaced with… New Gamboge made from a new mix of pigments (which varies from brand to brand). It’s misleading, confusing, and serves no one. Or at least, it doesn’t make much sense to me.

Rant over, as you were!

:)

oldey

Yes it is different from phthalo blue. I have Holbein Manganese Nova and use it a lot more often than phthalo. Like Jan I like it for the sky mixed with ultramarine or cerulean.

jyaan

They’re different. It’s a specially formulated Phthalo Blue: just because they’re both PB15 doesn’t mean they’re exactly the same. I’d be interested in discovering how the granulation is achieved.

I live in Seattle about 20 minutes from the Daniel smith store. I think I’ll go down there today, they have a demo station set up so you can actually try the paints out. I’ll see how they handle there and probably buy some — ok let’s be real I’ll probably buy more than just that. :)

Kathryn in Seattle

OK, back from the store, $50 later. (sigh.) I did get to play with the MBH paint, and it does behave very differently than thinned-down phthalo blue. Apparently the pigment is milled to a much coarser diameter which really affects the way it disperses in water. I might post side-by-side paintout swatches if anyone has interest.

Kathryn in Seattle

jyaan

I’d like to see it if it’s not too much bother. I’ve been wondering how well they managed to emulate the granulation.

Ok, I’ll paint them up right now, let them dry overnight, and post them tomorrow.

Kathryn in Seattle

It was already dry so I figured I’d go ahead and post. Here’s the comparison side by side, both on terrible paper (sorry), as well as a closeup of the MBH. The MBH does indeed granulate; it also dispersed into the wash in a much more measured and stately fashion. Phthalo blue always seems to me like it dissolves into water like food coloring. The MBH also didn’t seem to stain the way the phthalo blue did.

The hue is pretty similar, though not identical. I’d say you don’t *need* to have them both, but there are enough differences between the two of them to justify having them both if you want to. The MBH is a series 1 so there’s no difference in price.

Kathryn in Seattle

The MBH I picked up wet straight from the tube, the phthalo was taken from where it was dry in my palette. There is no question that the MBH is less intense — I didn’t glop it on or anything, it was a completely reasonable amount of paint, but if I’d used that much phthalo blue I could have painted my whole house blue.

Kathryn in Seattle

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.