Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor The Learning Zone What do you do with black and white watercolours

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    ic.Art

Looking through my watercolour stash last week and found 8 each black and white watercolour tubes and pans that have come in sets when I’m trying a new paint range. Don’t use either in my watercolours and hate to just toss them so was perplexed on what to do with them.

Chinese white is most often zinc white PW4 and the blacks most often ivory/bone black PBk9 in watersoluble binders…….so decided to grind down the pans with the tube paints mashing them into a smooth paste…….and mixed the paste with watermiscable linseed oil to make watersoluble oil paint. Am this weekend using these mixes on the grisalle (grey toned) underpainting of my next H2O oil painting. Have kept one of each water colour in case of…….??

If you’re a watercolour painter who does not use these colours, what do you do with those black and white watercolour paints that find their way into your colour collections?

'Don't worry about your originality. You couldn't get rid of it even if you wanted to. It will stick with you and show up for better or for worse in spite of all you or anyone else can do.' - Robert Henri

hblenkle

I use white, titanium, to paint highlights, mix with red to make pink flowers, cover up mistakes at times and let dry and repaint area. Black I don’t have and have not needed it in 6 year.

yellow_oxide

In this blog post about Indian yellow (and whether the story is true) he converts some Indian yellow watercolor into oil paint. It’s similar to what you described but using regular oil. If you skip to the updates at the bottom it’s noted that the paint took a long time to dry, which may have been because of the ingredients in the watercolor binder inhibiting drying. I would wonder if it’s possible that these extraneous ingredients could interfere with proper oil curing by reducing the cross links formed in the paint film, but it does still appear to be possible to convert watercolor into oil paint.

briantmeyer

I don’t buy sets, they usually have 4-5 colors out of 12 which are useful to me, with a lot of convenience mixes, or just odd even fugitive colors. I suspect they do this to move the colors which aren’t as popular but which don’t have expensive pigments. The only exception was the QoR 12 color intro set, which had 12 colors and only 3 were colors I would not use. ( Later on I found out it was 4, as their French Ultramarine was a hue ) I found it was worth it to get the 8 colors I wanted, as getting them singly would have been far more expensive.

I also might buy some of those palettes which comes with paint, but I will remove that paint, I just buy it for the box. A student version of budget paint will often have a rather nice plastic palette, I just love the Koi one for example.

I use QoR Titanium White, in small amounts it can make other paints more opaque, for things like doing skin, or fog, and the odd calligraphic highlight or two. I avoid Zinc White, as it grows more opaque over a short period of UV exposure, which can make it seem other colors are fading. The Zinc white is more useful, less blue and its more transparent, but I make due with the PW6 white..

I make my own black, out of my other colors, Pthalo Blue and Green, and perelene maroon. This is more akin to payne’s gray, a convenience mix. This is what I usually use.

I do have some Lunar Black, it’s magnetic which means you can make it do crazy things with various magnets, but it does not come in sets.

I also love graphite gray, it’s a pencil version of watercolors, useful for pencil drawings as well.

Hi ic.Art… for those who are new to watercolour, I recommend that they set aside the white and blacks that have been included in their various sets. There’s nothing wrong in using these colours if you understand your colour theory.

Black, used by itself is a flat and uninteresting colour. Mixed with other colours, it will dull and neutralize them. However, it can create some interesting effects if you understand how to use this colour. Practice it!

I prefer to mix my blacks. After a time, it becomes second nature and very easy to do. I will mix my blacks from the choices I’ve made for my painting. I prefer this method because it harmonizes with the colours I’ve used in my composition.

Chinese white can be used to mix tints, but they’ll appear to be opaque. If transparency is important to your work, then increasing the ratio of water to pigment is a better option. Should you try to use it for highlights, it will seem to disappear into your local colour. The white of the paper is more useful and beautiful.

If I feel it necessary to use white, I will typically reach for my gouache. It’s a very heavy body water activated pigment. It can be reactivated with water, so it’s considered a cousin of transparent watercolours. Used in conjunction with those transparent colours, if not used judiciously, it becomes very evident and unattractive.

So, my black and white watercolours are tucked away in a drawer and very seldom used.

Char --

CharMing Art -- "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art." Leonardo DaVinci

grisbear

I’ve lately really enjoyed painting in dull and neutralized colors. If I can’t mix the color as dim as I wish (it’s too bright and when I add a complementary color, it just changes to brown and I’ve ended up spending 20 minutes trying to mix a color), I sometimes will add some black in. No, it’s still not what I was looking for but it’s “good enough” sometimes when I really just want to move on.

A good point, why do manufacturers insist on putting white and black in sets?

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

yellow_oxide

Doug

Maybe beginners, not already knowing how they would get blacks and whites, just expect them to be there. The set then looks more complete to them.

or maybe they’ve been trying to tell us that blacks and whites are the best paints, and we should use them. :)

Maybe beginners, not already knowing how they would get blacks and whites, just expect them to be there. The set then looks more complete to them.

or maybe they’ve been trying to tell us that blacks and whites are the best paints, and we should use them. :)

Or… they’re the cheapest to manufacture! :p

Char --

CharMing Art -- "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art." Leonardo DaVinci

virgil carter

My suspicion is that the contents of many of the paint sets are based on what doesn’t sell as individual paints.

As for what to do with black and white, my suggestion is to give them to a school teacher for her elementary school art classes.

Sling paint,
                                Virgil

Sling paint,
                                Virgil Carter
                                http://www.virgilcarterfineart.com/

RomanB

Chinese white is most often zinc white PW4 and the blacks most often ivory/bone black PBk9 in watersoluble binders…….so decided to grind down the pans with the tube paints mashing them into a smooth paste…….and mixed the paste with watermiscable linseed oil to make watersoluble oil paint. Am this weekend using these mixes on the grisalle (grey toned) underpainting of my next H2O oil painting. Have kept one of each water colour in case of…….??

If you’re a watercolour painter who does not use these colours, what do you do with those black and white watercolour paints that find their way into your colour collections?

Without cleaning of pigments from watercolor vehicle it’s not a good idea at all to use those paints in mix with linseed oil, layers would crack and very probably ruin your paintings. Since zinc white and carbon blacks are cheap and widely-available pigments, if you wish to make your own oil paint with them, it would be easier to buy them as raw dry powders than to wash all the watercolor vehicle out of them. It’s not unrealistic, but hard to do.

Maybe it’s an opportunity for you to try something new? In the past, zinc white was used by watercolorists as a first layer to make some parts of their paintings such as faces or figures more accented. On some papers like non-bleached Saunders Waterford the effect will be quite visible.

Winnie92

Black’s good for value studies, also for outlining pencil drawings if you don’t want to use pen. If you’re into Calligraphy you can use it for that too. As for white, if you regularly use a lighter shade of indigo for example you could just add some white and let it set, and that’ll save some time. You can also use it to practice colour mixing of course :)

MtLookout

My suspicion is that the contents of many of the paint sets are based on what doesn’t sell as individual paints.

As for what to do with black and white, my suggestion is to give them to a school teacher for her elementary school art classes.

Sling paint,
                                            Virgil

I whole heartedly agree. No need for whites or blacks.

Tom

...got me a date with Botticelli's niece ...
                                            she promised she'd be there with me when I paint my masterpiece...Dylan

Neeman

Doug

Why?
                                                Because they are broader minded on watercolor painting
                                                That is very valid to use both black and white

Use them both as mixers
                                                White enters into the old and classic world of bodycolor
                                                Black works very well to break colors and increase the tone

Winnie92

Why?
                                                    Because they are broader minded on watercolor painting
                                                    That is very valid to use both black and white

Use them both as mixers
                                                    White enters into the old and classic world of bodycolor
                                                    Black works very well to break colors and increase the tone

I wonder why they added white to the cotman sketcher’s set, but not black. Is white more useful than black generally?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.