Home Forums Explore Media Pastels Materials JM Paillard soft pastels

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Hi,

I have an old set of JM Paillard pastels and know nothing about them. I’ve tried researching through google and can only find a few listings in French. Does anyone out there know anything about these pastels? I would like to know the general quality and how they compare to the more common pastels that I’m familiar with (Nupastel, Rembrandt, Sennelier, Great American, etc.).

Laura Shelley

I have never heard of this brand. The only reference I could find through Google was a listing (in French) for JM Paillard colored ink. Possibly their pastels have been discontinued and you have a collector’s item. Give them a try and see how they work! You’ll be able to tell how good they are just by using them.

Deborah Secor

What do you hope to learn about them?

It looks to me like they’re out of Montreal (if my French even comes close, which is iffy!) so maybe some of our Canadian pastelists will know of them. Or the French–do we have any French pastelists in here? Hope you get some answers on this!

We’re usually a pretty friendly lot. Glad you’ve joined us!

Deborah

Deborah

"All glory to Him, who alone is God our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord."
            Landscape Painting in Pastels (free online book)
            Gouache Blog

ohio

I found an old archive discusion on JM Paillard pastels, which I never used. However, I used to use JM Paillard oil paints, and still have several tubes that I bought in the 1970s, I think, from a USA dealer, the name of which I no longer can recall. The only thing I know about JM Paillard is that they were around (in Paris) in the mid 1880s, and no doubt continued in the art supply business well into the 1970s. Sorry, I don’t have more to tell.

paynej49

Hi,

I have an old set of JM Paillard pastels and know nothing about them. I’ve tried researching through google and can only find a few listings in French. Does anyone out there know anything about these pastels? I would like to know the general quality and how they compare to the more common pastels that I’m familiar with (Nupastel, Rembrandt, Sennelier, Great American, etc.).

Jaques Michel Paillard (1808-between 1878-1884).
                    Seller of artist’s materials and owner of a paint factory in Paris.
                    Letter #307 from Vincent Van Gogh to Theo. 29 and 30 July 1883.
                    Paillard’s were the paints of Van Gogh!
                    He also mentions them elsewhere in his letters.

Deborah Secor

Wow–that’s neat… How did you come upon that information, paynej49? I see that the original poster hasn’t been around here much but I bet that information would interest her–if she still has the pastels she mentioned!

Deborah

Deborah

"All glory to Him, who alone is God our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord."
                        Landscape Painting in Pastels (free online book)
                        Gouache Blog

paynej49

Hi,

There are at least four letters in which Vincent Van Gogh mentions Paillard’s paints:
                            12 Oct. 1881
                            3 Sept. 1882
                            24 July 1883
                            30 July 1883
                            In addition a slew of sites on the internet show bits and pieces about the company, the best I’ve come across were some photographs of the factory and its employees from the twenties and a site listing all the colors that were made.
                            It seems that the company went into producing pens and ink in the thirties.
                            What to do is punch in “J.M. Paillard” and sift through the recipies for chicken Paillard and so on.
                            One night I went through 60 pages of sites!
                            Basically, though it is the thought that they were used by Van Gogh back in the 1800s.
                            Other places to look are vangoghletters.org and other Van Gogh sites.
                            I wish I could find some Paillard paints to use. I know that they are out there (sometimes they pop up on e-bay), but they are hard to track down.
                            Good luck!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.