Home Forums Explore Subjects Florals and Botanical Mandarin orange botanical study (x-post from Watercolor Gallery)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Perylene

Our grocer had these luscious mandarin oranges on the stem, and I was really excited to do a study of one. It also served as good leaf practice–I’ve only tried leaves once before, and yep–they are as challenging as everyone says they are!

Paint: W&N watercolor
        Paper: Fluid 100 HP
        Size: 6 x 8

C&C welcome.

Beautiful work!

Christel

Perylene

Thank you Christel :)

Beautiful botanical illustration.

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

Perylene, wow! What a lovely bot!!!! Leaves are harder actually than doing a portrait. Yours is perfect.

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

Perylene

Thank you, Maureen and Kay! I appreciate the feedback. I haven’t tried a portrait yet, so I can’t really compare the experience. But I can say that I enjoyed working on the leaf, so I’m looking forward to trying my next one :)

That’s a beautiful orange.

Leaves are difficult. They are necessary for the plant to survive, but their function is more utilitarian than aesthetic. Leaves are one of the most difficult things I have tried to paint. You have done very well with yours.

C&C is welcome.
                Richard

Perylene

Thanks Richard! I’m already planning my next leaf study (a maple leaf). I’d like to do this with a graphite tonal study first, trying to do it by the book :)

eichin

Beautiful work!

Triduana

This is a very good study, I love the texture on the orange and the leaf looks great. Leaves are one of those things that look like they should be easy to paint but they just aren’t! :)

Kay D - Edinburgh, Scotland

So long, and thanks ...

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.