Home Forums Explore Media Digital Art Best app for ipad

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Darci Jones

Hello,

I’m wanting to get a painting/drawing app for ipad and wondering what is a good choice? I’ve read about Brushes, Sketchbook Pro, and Pro Create online but not really sure how to pick.

Thanks.

gigih

i know people who swear by brushes or sketchbook pro, but i’m in love with artrage. it has everything i’m looking for in a painting app. and is fully compatible with the pc version.
            sketchbook is the only one with a free version (i think its called express) you can try before you buy full version.

it’s really a matter of what you are comfortable with, for me its artrage.

brushes has no smear brush, i think all blending has to be done with a unloaded brush or something like that.

whatever you decide, you’re gonna love the freedom of ipad painting, enjoy!

I use ArtStudio, it is quite versatile.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

gigih

yorky is right, art studio is a great app and about half the price of the others.
                i almost forgot i had that one too. if you’ve never tried painting on the ipad before that might be the best one for starting out.

Razzar

ArtStudio is the iPad equivalent of Photoshop for pcs/macs. It is packed with editing features as well as tools for drawing and painting.

For pure drawing/painting I use Sketchbook Pro.

Art of Raz - Digital Art & Tutorials

sheldring

You might also check out ProCreate. I think the user interface is exceptionally well designed–brush control (size and opacity) and tool choice (brush, eraser, smudge) are unobtrusively right there on the working surface, which means you can move rapidly and smoothly once you get the feel of it. Variety of brushes (wet and dry with textures), multiple layers and lots of undo. I sketch with it all the time.

Michael Dietz
                        C&C welcomed, as tough as you like
                        "To study the Way is to study the self. To study the self is to forget the self. To forget the self is to be enlightened by the ten thousand things." --Dogen Zenji

wynpotter

I’ve looked at some of the different apps and they all look nice but I have a question on the resolution.Can you work at high DPI so that a portrait or other work be printed out in large format, 24×36 or larger without pixelation?
                            I’m also wondering what feature the new Ipad 3 will bring to the table.
                            Wyndham

i just downloaded Procreate which has a maximum canvas size of 1920×1408.

You can zoom in to pixel size.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

wynpotter

What are the display rez of the pads,96 dpi like the monitors?
                                Wyndham

fishpainter

I got sketchbook pro and am pretty happy with it but I see that photoshop is coming to ipad2 so i will give it a try.

Inkygirl

Since the iPad first came out (I’m @iPadGirl on Twitter, among other accounts), I’ve been experimenting with different art programs. I have fun with Artrage but my go-to art app for the iPad is still Sketchbook Pro. I did some of the early character sketches for my picture book with it.

Debbie

Debbie Ridpath Ohi - DebbieOhi.com : Children's book writer & illustrator, chronic doodler. Twitter: @inkyelbows. IG: @inkygirl.

gigih

I just got sketch club, it’s cheap 2.99, and you can create and save your own brushes.more like sketch book pro, but seems more user friendly.

Russo

The biggest problem with ipad app I think is the responsiveness. Mostly are very slow with quick strokes. on ipad 3 or 4 things should be much better I guess. either brushes or artrage will works good.

sharpie101

sketch club you can make your own brushes, it has a online community and the developer is friendly and takes request

sharpie101

cool u have sketch club to whats your user name? im flashbang

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.