WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-01-2012, 12:13 PM

Hails from United States
Someone has probably already thought about this...tracking what piece/what show

The local art association I'm a member of is presumably like most: they won't let you enter a piece for a show/competition that has already been in one of their previous shows. Makes sense. Now I wish I had started two or three years ago to keep better track, as I entered two into a recent show only to remember as I was dropping them off that I had already entered one of them previously! Happily the second piece took second place (darn -- maybe I should have entered that one "first").

So too late I've come up with a solution I wish I had done quite a while ago: tape a small piece of paper to the wire hanger, and note on it all of the shows it was in/prizes. Sure, I can track this in a spreadsheet or Word doc, but i thought this way I never have to remember what file I stashed that info in, and a subsequent buyer might even enjoy the "provenance."

As I said, someone has probably already thought of this but thought I would share anyway.

Regards,
Dale
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2012, 08:45 AM

Re: Someone has probably already thought about this...tracking what piece/what show

Good idea. I will be interested to hear what other systems people use.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2012, 01:09 PM
artyczar

Re: Someone has probably already thought about this...tracking what piece/what show

Some people use programs that are already invented. One is called ArtWorks I believe (the cheaper one) and then there is another more complex and expensive one called ArtSystems. I haven't checked in years for others but I am quite sure there are plenty more by now. You're idea about taping something to the back works too.

I have a database that I built myself. It's not a program. But like you said, you could use a spreadsheet in Access or something like that (I'm not sure what the Mircosoft programs are for databases are - I know Works is one.)

I used to do it all in paper logs. I'm glad I did that so I had data to enter into my database!

My database is quite complex and custom made for what I need. It was built in MySql and PHP and is accessed through a web browser. I made an interface so I can add data easily. It keeps track of...

Work number, title, size, special shape, date completed, medium, series, type, where created, where shown, where/if published, images/detail images, current location, price, availability status, sale type, date sold, sold to, sold for, visible on site Y/N?, notes.

All this interacts with my website, but of course most of this data is hidden from the user's side view.

I did all this so I would not have to enter data in more than one place.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2012, 09:05 PM
WC! Guide
the state of confusion, Florida...

Hails from United States

Consider Artist's Butler by Lynn Davison who is married to the artist Lynn Davison. He designed this program for his wife. It sells for $35 last time I checked.

I have been tracking artwork for many years. I take a photo and start a page in a notebook. I then list show entries, years, awards (if any), notes or thoughts on the show and if I might consider entering that show again. I also track who it sold to, how much was paid, name, address and any notes on installation or the buyer that might be useful.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2012, 09:12 PM
Belmont Ontario

Hails from Canada

when you enter a show there is always a form to fill out that lists the works, prices and descriptions. I just photocopy the form, and keep them in a binder that has a section for each of the guilds/galleries/shows that I enter. When guild xyz has their annual show I can check and see what I've put in so that I don't repeat myself. Fast, simple, and works for me.
I've tried keeping a data bank for individual works, but this is easier since I'm quite prolific, and do a lot of shows.
find me on face book
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2012, 01:46 PM
Edwardsburg, MI

Hails from United States

From a collector's standpoint, this is all valuable information and is important to the provenance of a work.

I'd definitely include this information in some form with any artwork.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2012, 07:23 PM

Hails from United States

You've all got the juices stirring for me. I've been tracking the essentials (when created, # prints, # sold) in a spreadsheet but I guess I need to expand on that a bunch, adding in awards, shows, etc.

Thanks for the ideas everyone!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-11-2012, 06:16 AM
A WC! Legend
She who rambles

Hails from United Kingdom

I could have sworn I replied to this earlier!

I use Flick for my database and there is a section for recording exhibitions for each work. To be honest I haven't filled in all of that but I do have a folder (on computer) of the consignment forms for every show. Even if it's a handwritten form for something I do a list on the computer and save it too.

Tina.