Home Forums Explore Media Fiber Arts Stitch in Time December 2018

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Debby

The last month of 2018 is upon us. Finally getting snow in my part of the world. I know snow and ice are a travel hazard, but without a good snow pack in the mountains we suffer forest fires in the summer. So it’s a good thing when we get snow.

Hope all are healthy and happy this month.

Debby
        Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

December already? I guess I had better get cracking on blocking and finishing stuff!

It looks it outside. It started snowing this morning and it has been gently falling all day. The dog does not like snow, probably because her legs are so short. Her belly is only 4 inches off the ground.

I have been making hats with the left over sock yarn, pretty lacy berets. Totally useless for winter. I got tired of warm bulky stuff.

I need to do my water colour home work but I had some sort of stomach bug this week and my hands are still shaky.

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Lena, sorry to hear you’ve been ill. Take care of yourself. Poor pooch with short legs. Lacey berets sounds like fun. Yup, December, time to finish the gifts.

I’ve been playing with book making this week. Found out cotton cord is not going to work in place of linen cord. Probably should have found jute or hemp or just bought the linen cord. Will be taking it apart and trying again with a different cord material.

Debby
                Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

Well… that snow kept on falling and it got worse last night. We now have over a foot with drifting.
                    I am not sure if I can get out of the drive and back alley to make it to my water colour class. The snow clearing guy usually gets here late afternoon.

Mind you it looks really pretty out there, very christmas card like.

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Lena, agree all that snow looks pretty, but it’s a pain to have to go out when it’s like that. Ours isn’t near that deep. Hope you can get out to your class.

Took the book apart and dug through my supplies. I don’t have any kind of cord but cotton. :eek: Looks like I need to do a tiny bit of shopping to find some.

Debby
                        Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

I made it to the class. I stripped down what I brought to the bare necessities and put it all into a back pack and walked. It is only a few blocks from here. We were doing a winter scene by coincidence and Frank made us go to the window and LOOK at the snow and see the colours in it and why it had those colours. It was a great class.

The snow clearance guys didn’t get here until 9 pm and they forgot to do the car so I will have to go out this morning and shovel it clear. I have my therapist this afternoon. I could walk but it is a much longer walk, nice in the fall but not after a foot of snow, besides it is cold today.

Linen is so much stronger then cotton. Cotton shirts last only a few years, I have linen that is been used decades and just gets softer.

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Lena, glad you were able to make it to class. Quite heroic taking on a foot of snow by walking there. Hope the therapist appointment goes well.

Linen IS stronger than cotton. I have been seriously looking to make some new shirts and I want to make them in linen. Or a linen cotton blend. I’d like to make skirts in linen too, but let’s face it, linen is expensive.

Went to Micheal’s yesterday. They didn’t have linen cord. There was jute and hemp. I bought a little bit of hemp to play with but am ordering linen cord from online.

Debby
                                Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

Shovelling the car out was easy (though my body isn’t quite as happy today) the snow was very light and compacted.

It was a good session with the therapist. We are finally getting to the root issues. I need to start journaling again. I stopped when I was caregiving mom because it just circled around being trapped and I couldn’t do anything about that. It made me feel worse.

I need to go out and get stuff and mail stuff off but the roads are horrible, we had more snow last night.

I am going to go and knit and stare at my work table with the mermaid.

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Lena, ’tis the season of snow and ice. Be careful out there. How can you knit and stare at the same time? I don’t knit, but I think I’d have to look at what my hands were doing if I did. Maybe the mermaid needs to be stared at.

Mostly did chores yesterday. DH’s work week starts today so yesterday was grocery shopping and laundry. I did bake some cookies. Now I know why people say that gluten free stuff tastes as good as the original or just like the original. They have no taste buds. DH swears the cookies are just like regularly baked cookies. And claims he wouldn’t know they weren’t made of flour if I hadn’t told him otherwise. I can tell the difference. The cookies don’t taste bad, but I can taste the almond from the almond flour I used to bake them. Maybe it’s because I baked them and I know what’s in them.

Debby
                                        Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

For plain knitting I can almost do it with not looking. I usually knit and watch videos. On the more complicated rows I need to watch my hands. Most lace knitting alternates between a row of plain knit and complicated pattern knit row.

I have a cookie recipe that I make that people love. My sister in Petewawa wanted the recipe and couldn’t believe it was gf.

I was baking with almond flour long before GF because I loved the taste. Almond loaves are a european thing.

Oatmeal raisin drop Cookies

3 /4 cup brown rice flour
                                            1 /4 cup sweet rice flour
                                            1 /4 cup tapioca flour
                                            OR 1 1/ 2 cup GF flour

1 /4 cup ground hazelnuts
                                            1 cup quick oats or rolled oats (will be more chewy)
                                            1 tsp baking powder
                                            1 /2 tsp baking soda
                                            1 /2 tsp salt
                                            1 tsp cinnamon

3 /4 cup butter
                                            1 /2 cup brown sugar
                                            2 eggs
                                            1 /2 tsp vanilla
                                            2 tbsp yogurt
                                            1 cup raisins (or substitute some dried cranberries)
                                            pre heat oven to 375F

Mix dry ingredients together
                                            pour some boiling water over the raisins, drain when ready to use.
                                            Cream butter, add brown sugar beat well, add eggs one at the time , beat well, add yogurt & vanilla, beat well. Mix in dry ingredients, add raisins.

Cover cookie sheets with parchment paper. Drop teaspoon amounts on cookie sheet, leaving a inch for the cookies to grow. Flatten a bit with fork. Note have a cup of water ready to keep dipping your spoon/fork into to keep it from sticking.

Bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes, Cool on a rack. Makes about 3 – 4 dozens depending on your “teaspoon”

my flour:
                                            2 cups flour = 3/4 cup brown rice flour + 1/2 cup almond meal + 1/4 cup sweet rice + 1/2 cup tapioca starch + 1 tbsp powdered milk.*
                                            Bulk:*
                                            3 cups brown rice + 2 cups almond meal + 1 cup sweet rice + 2 cups tapioca + 1 /4 cup powdered milk*
                                            Note: if you make it up in bulk then keep it in a tightly closed container in the fridge.

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Lena, thank you for the recipe. Unfortunately, I cannot eat it. Tho’ DH will be able to. I mostly make cookies for him anyway. I can’t eat dairy. I’ve tried all the lactose free options and found I react even to ghee. That’s why I was so excited to find dairy substitutes at the health food store. Unfortunately, even those had to go as I react to soy. :(

Not doing well today emotionally. Didn’t create yesterday. Today isn’t looking good either.

Debby
                                                Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

Missing my art class today. Deep snow I can handle, freezing rain I am not risking. I watched people sliding along the sidewalk while I was having lunch and decided I was not risking my bones (besides my joints hurt). Maybe I should paint anyway.

I am almost finished all the presents. I will wrap and pack up today and ship stuff tomorrow.

I hope you feel better.
                                                    Some people like using coconut butter as a replacement for butter. Old recipes I have also use fruit puree for some of the oils.

Doll Art by Lena

Lena

My last homework.

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Lena, I’ve used a margerine for butter that is made without soy. It’s pretty good. I’ve also used coconut oil in recipes. It’s always a grand experiment when I try a new recipe and begin substituting ingredients. I so understand joints hurting in the cold. The picture is lovely. I’ve always been too intimidated to pick up a paintbrush. Yay for almost being done with gifts.

I’ve sent off the first package of gifts. The rest will be sent today. And… I’m done! Yay!

I’ve been working on re-making critters. I thought when there were so few sales in November I was going to have a light year. The last week and a half has been about normal for December. So, there are several critters missing in the shop now. It’s fine. I have the family gifts finished. DH already has his gift. I can work on replacing critters, drink hot tea, and listen to holiday music.

Debby
                                                            Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

Yes substitutions don’t always work the way you expect them to. With all my sisters allergies I am doing it constantly. Sometimes it is a horrible failure.

So the parcels are not yet mailed. I forgot to plug the trickle charger in for the car. After 5 days it went “mehhh” and that was it.

They should get there for the Chinese new year….. I hope.

Doll Art by Lena

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.