Home Forums Explore Media Printmaking linocut printing – colour problems

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    steps79

Hi,

I am totally new to linocuting and printing. Trying to print white on black paper and having problems with the ink coming out very patchy.
        I am using

[*]Speedball Oil-based Block Printing Ink – White
          [*]Daler Rowney Black Paper, 150g/m2
          [*]black rubber brayer
          [*]printing by manually rubbing a spoon on the paper
          [*]plastic tray for working the ink

i am attaching photos of the best result i got.
        i tried

[*]using less/more ink
          [*]tried water based ink and oil ink
          [*]working the ink longer
          [*]adding more ink on the block and printing on the same paper
          [*]one different paper that looked more porous

the only other thing i can think of to try is to warm up the ink first (under a lamp) – it might had been cold from carrying it outside.

whatever i do, the ink when on the brayer it always has a dimpled texture.
        the results are as you see – patchy. i would like to achieve a more homogenous surface. when tried with black ink on white paper this problem does not occur.
        what could i be doing wrong?
        anything i could try?

any tips would be very welcomed and appreciated!!!

Steps- printing white over black with hand-rubbing is probably the hardest thing you can do with block printing. Most white inks do not carry enough pigment to do it well, and hand-rubbing doesn’t give you enough pressure…. so the end result looks mottled. Speedball ink is especially problematic in that regard. Most printmakers I know would do a print like yours just the opposite: black ink on white paper. As you have discovered, it works better that way.

Now…. since you have already cut the block, what can you do? There are several possibilities (in the order I’d try them):
        1. using oil-based ink, you can dampen the paper. That improves the impression, and will help with overall look.
        2. with waterbased ink like Speedball, add a little "extender’ to the ink. That will reduce it’s mottled effect a little.
        3. Use a smoother paper, and a lot more pressure. If you really want to do black on white, think about getting a press.
        3b- use a smaller barren. I use a 1inch diameter cabinet knob to rub with. The smaller surface are will given you more pressure per square inch and improve your impression.
        3c- improve your rubbing technique- use a single sheet of paper between your print paper and the barren (rubbing tool) to protect the print, and then rub methodically, and with some pressure.
        4. Work on your inking technique. Use a harder brayer, and put a little pressure into it. One of the things I’m seeing in your pic is that the roller is not laying the ink down evenly. Usually this is caused by being too delicate with the roller. However, if you have a soft roller, this can lead to ink where you don’t want it. The solution to this is twofold: a- get a harder roller. and/or b- cut your image and background a little deeper.

Now if you all of these things, will it make your white on black perfect? probably not…. but it will look better.

"Political Correctness" is just another way to muzzle free expression

steps79

Winking cat,

Many thanks for your tips.
            I was a bit worried that there would be some problem with the basic fact that i was printing white on black. It would be just too easy, it takes away the negative principle of carving…

I will try to improve using your tips, somehow i do like the white paint coming up front even physically as it sits on the paper.
            If i do not succeed i will have to try to do it the ‘normal’ way. The block was just a small test for a bigger print…

many thanks!

bridog

a timely post
                I am overseeing a relief printing project in a school classroom where grade 6 students are printing white ink onto black paper from a carved soft matrix surface using hand rubbing with back of a metal spoon technique.
                We have encountered similar problems as you have been experiencing.
                A very good paper is being used, in this case it is a thin thai made black mulberry. But the ink is printing blotchy or uneven.
                My observations lead to me to believe the following are factors:

The ink being used, a water based Graphic Chemical made product might have pigmentation problems. It could also be that after several rolls with the brayer to pick up and coat it with ink it is starting to dry a bit on the roller. Heat in the classroom is very warm as I live in Northern Canada and it is winter. It is possible the soft synthetic rubber brayers we are using may have pockets of invisible film of oil based residue on many of them (they have been used in many schools for the last 6 years) and are starting to show signs of wear and tear from a lot of rough handling.

I am not familiar with the Daler-Rowney paper you are using. Is this a general purpose paper for various media or is it specifically for printmaking applications?
                Learned a while back in my studio that some types of papers do not print well such as highly absorbent cover stocks and construction papers.

I have used white oil-based relief printing inks (Daniel Smith, Faust) hand printed onto black mulberry and have achieved satisfactory results. Believe the key is application of appropriate pressure and a good even coating of ink on the block surface.

Hopefully this thread will share more knowledge learned through experience and observations from others who have either had problems and/or resolved them will help a lot of us.

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work. Emile Zola

www.myprintmakingjourney.blogspot.com
                visit my Etsy shop: www.etsy.com/shop/borealart

lovestofish

yea – winking cat has some excellent points. Using a press would probably help as far as consistency and pressure. Maybe take the time to roll out a nice even ink slab with your brayer. A rule of thumb is whatever happens on your ink slab transfers onto your plate. It looks like you have some large flats on your image – relatively speaking. The flats can accentuate any inconsistencies. They can be challenging in any print much less white ink on black paper.

I attached (hopefully I did) a linocut (head study) I printed on black paper with white ink. The paper is white Rives BFK which I painted with diluted sumi ink. It was printed on an etching press. The print is 15 by 15. I also attached a woodcut I printed on a litho press. It is black Rives BFK paper printed with white ink. I “double dropped” the latter. That means I actually printed it twice with the same ink so there are 2 layers of white ink. I used a very unsophisticated registration system = masking tape. I taped one edge of the paper to the press bed and flipped it out of the way when I the woodcut a second time. It is 24 by 27.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.