Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor Watercolor Gallery kintsugi pottery

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Bee-eater

I had started getting into watercolors a few years ago, but a few months in I went through a rough patch and stopped doing it. But now my sister has Bad Cancer and needs an illustration of kintsugi pottery for a reflection piece she wrote, and so I got the paints out again….

I’m painting with a normal white bowl as a reference.

First try:

Yuck. I like the richness of the turquoise wash but not much else. I used masking fluid for the gold on this one. (The kintsugi lines also don’t really make sense, I thought I had looked at enough reference pics but apparently not. They should mostly be the outlines of shards. Sometimes you’ll see one line trailing off alone to patch a crack, but I did too much of that.)

Then I kind of remembered more how watercolors work…

Second try:

I’m happier with this one. In kind of a happy accident I didn’t have my masking fluid with me so I just painted the bowl without it thinking I might as well get practice, and then realized my gold paint is opaque enough I could just put it on top.

C&C very much appreciated.

Daniel Smith paints and Arches 140 lb cold pressed paper, both are 5×7 inches

Kaylen

I like both of them , you have a good eye , and like you noticed yourself , the colors are very rich and the texture makes them solid and I feel their weight, I think its a success when you make the viewer see the object as real even if much of it is only suggested. I look forward to seeing more of your work

Kaylen Savoie
            https://www.savoieartist.com/
            At least twice a year,paint something better than you ever painted before.

Tim Goss

I like them both, as well. You’ve created a beautiful 3D image on 2D paper. The shadows and the texture of the bowl are exceptional. Your sister should love these.

Very nice.

Tim

Tim Goss Watercolors
                http://www.timgosswatercolors.com

KiwiKate

I also like them both, but the second one is beautiful!

Kate
                    Henderson, Nevada
                    C&C always welcomed!

"Never ruin a good day by thinking about a bad yesterday". -- Anon.

Zeldaquatic

I prefer the second one, very nice paintings

The second one is my favourite. I remind my class that the sides of ellipses are vertical not pointed, it makes a big difference.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

shadye1

I agree, definitely the second one.

rossmarie

Well done on the second attempt. The colour blending is beautiful.

Mike :)

hoylander

Your second bowl is beautiful, Bee! I love your choice of colours and how you’ve used them! Best wishes to you sister.

Joan :wave:

Yes, the second one. It’s interesting with its color shifts and mixes.
                                    Well done

Esther

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.