Home Forums Explore Media Mixed Media, Encaustics, Collage and Alternative Materials Anyone ever made their own brushes?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Ok. I honestly have no idea if this is where I should put this.
    This is going to be a weird post. Definitely not for those of you who are easily weirded out.
    I’m cutting my hair off soon, but it won’t be long enough to donate. So I got a wild idea- it holds water like no one’s business, why not make a paintbrush! I looked into it and apparently it’s not completely unheard of, though beard hair seems to be more popular because of the textures it can create.
    So I’ve found tutorials on how to make various round and wider flat brushes, but I have one brush I’d really like to own. As a broke university student, I take very good care of my brushes because I can’t particularly afford the costs of 5 to 10 bucks for one paintbrush. I want to make a fan brush, as the one I have is far too large to texture the small (1 by 2 inch) watercolors I do regularly. Anyone got any ideas of how to get this shape? Anyone made one before?
    I know the ferrules on fan brushes aren’t the same shape as those on round or flat brushes, I’m not sure how to get that effect without actually using metal, whereas a lot of tutorials for making your own brushes don’t bother with the metal at all.

TLDR: How would one make a fan brush?

Cyndi L

LOL!!! It was NOT too long, and I DID read it!

I have absolutely no idea how to make a fan brush, with or without metal, but let’s think…could you embed the ends in two-part epoxy, one of the faster drying ones, holding the hairs in place or clipping them somehow until they dried?

Cyndi L

btw, I don’t think very many people on the MM forum are weirded out by too much…

ladypainter

Sounds like a great idea and when you have them made and use them you will be literally putting yourself into your work.:) All kidding aside I would sincerely love to see them when they are done.:)

Elinor:wave:
                "keep your own time tickin"

Eraethil

Great idea, and I saw something on YouTube a little while ago about making paint brushes. Not sure if I could find it again, but it showed several types. Good luck!

[FONT=Century Gothic] [FONT=Century Gothic]Comments and critique actively sought and much appreciated! [/SIZE][/B]
                    Rick. . . [/COLOR][/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. .[/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic] . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR]pigment storm fine art[FONT=Century Gothic] . . . watch the paint flow![/SIZE]

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.