Home Forums whatcha trying to say … grammar

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    La_

a total nightmare for some, but i like words.

this, for example:

“Too funny not to share this”

picky, picky, perhaps, but should it instead be:

“Too funny to not share this”

or not … ?

la

snoball

“ I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant”

― Alan Greenspan

If you're asking me for advice, I'm going to assume that you've run out of rational options.
            My work on Facebook

musket

“[This is] too funny not to share [with you].”

“[It would be] too funny [of me] to not share this [with you].”

Different meanings. First refers to whatever is funny; second to a state of mind. More obvious if you substitute “weird” for “funny.”

Even if you don’t parse it that way, the first version scans better and sounds more natural.

Jon

I agree with the assessment given by Steve.

ianuk

I think they’re both grammatically valid. Unless one is pedantic.

La_

ha, cool, but … my mind was picking apart this implication:

Too funny not [going] to share this
                            vs
                            Too funny to not share this (as being more clear in intent)

i’m probably over reaching o.O

la

ianuk

:thumbsup: Possibly

musket

Well there’s always, “Too funny, I’m not going to share this,” if you like ambiguity. Is there something that’s too funny not to share, or is it too funny that you aren’t going to share it, and in that case, does “it” refer to what’s too funny, or the fact that you aren’t willing to share it?

Dcam

I can’t get my friend to stop saying irregardless instead of regardless in the right context.
                                        Implying and inferring get mixed up by a lot of folks.
                                        Who and whom as well.
                                        As I am Wont to do……a favorite of mine.
                                        It is Champing at the bit, not chomping at the bit.
                                        It is Unkempt…..not unkept.

Steve T. Laws

as a dude trying to learn poetry, im trying to break any rules.

That said. i think the undertones of your original thought is: respect communication.

Communicators need to craft thier communiques better so that understanding can be had.

La_

Well there’s always, “Too funny, I’m not going to share this,” if you like ambiguity. Is there something that’s too funny not to share, or is it too funny that you aren’t going to share it, and in that case, does “it” refer to what’s too funny, or the fact that you aren’t willing to share it?

exactly

la

_____________________________________________
                                                When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know Peace

Jon

ha, cool, but … my mind was picking apart this implication:

Too funny [i’m] not [going] to share this
                                                    vs
                                                    Too funny to not share this (as being more clear in intent)

i’m probably over reaching o.O

la

Not at all, I think it a pleasant topic for discussion.
                                                    Either of your options seem able to get their intent communicated to the reader.

Words and their meanings change over time and so does grammar. Apparently it is now acceptable to end a sentence in a preposition.
                                                    A few years back I read The Story of Ain’t which tells the tale of the rise and fall and rise again of the little word.

Jon

I can’t get my friend to stop saying irregardless instead of regardless in the right context.
                                                        Implying and inferring get mixed up by a lot of folks.
                                                        Who and whom as well.
                                                        As I am Wont to do……a favorite of mine.
                                                        It is Champing at the bit, not chomping at the bit.
                                                        It is Unkempt…..not unkept.

Unkempt relates to the lack of cleanliness whereas unkept seems to me to be an attempt at an outdated idea of the kept woman versus the unkept woman. I don’t think I have ever heard anyone make that mistake.
                                                        I mentioned above the fact that it is acceptable to end a sentence in a preposition, but I have heard some use the word proposition instead and that has quite a different meaning.

As for the much debated regardless versus irregardless, I recall a dictionary editor explaining why both words are in the dictionary and why; I will see if I can find any information on that discussion.

ETA: https://www.amazon.com/Word-Secret-Life-Dictionaries/dp/110187094X
                                                        Word by Word The Secret Life of Dictionaries

The point of the “irregardless” is to shut down conversation. So “irregardless” is a word. It has a specific use, in particular dialects. That said, it’s not part of standard English and so — especially if you’re writing or if you’re speaking in formal places — you want to use “regardless” instead. Because if you use “irregardless,” people will think you’re uneducated.

Champing at the bit refers to the horse gnawing some at the metal bit in his mouth, but chomping is also correct when referencing noisily chewing food.

Jon

As a side note, I am frequently astonished at the atrocious spelling I stumble upon.

I had a teacher who gave us pennies at the beginning of the year. Every time we used the word “got” she took a penny. That was in grade two and I still rarely use the word “got”.

I had another teacher who hated the local slang, she wasn’t originally from our area. Where we lived, it’s common to say “I tuck a bath” or use the word “be” as an inappropriate past tense..
                                                            “I be doing the dishes when such and such happened”
                                                            “I be doing the laundry when I ran out of soap”
                                                            “I be tucking a bath when someone be knocking on the door”

She tried to break us but it didn’t work. My Mom’s neighbourhood has been gentrified and there are so many Torontonians moving it that we’re losing our local accent. She would have been thrilled to bits by that.

Oddly enough the teacher that I learned the most about English grammar from was my French literature teacher. I don’t ever recall her speaking English but she spoke about English all the time. She was not a fan of it. I found her to be very amusing which is the only reason I remember anything about what she said.

For La’s example, I would have said (I be saying): This is too funny, not to share (with you). I don’t mind leaving off the “with you” but leaving off the “this is” would annoy me.

The Purple Dog Painting Blog
                                                            Find me on Instagram
                                                            Find me on Facebook

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 62 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.