Home Forums Explore Media Sculpture Working with Chalcedony and Obsidian

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    contumacious

Have any of you worked with Chalcedony or Obsidian?

I am looking for power tools – high pressure/high RPM air or electric – and diamond bits that would work well with this hard stones. The end result will be small fetish style carvings of forest and desert creatures carved into satin finish tumbled pieces.

ArtsyLynda

Go to http://www.sculpt.com, The Compleat Sculptor. They have tools for stone work as well as clay. If you want jewelry-sized tools, try riogrande.com, a jewelry supplier.

contumacious

Thanks for the link!

It looks like anything that can drive a diamond bit and won’t be bothered by a water drip system for lubrication should work.

We went rock hounding this week. My first “official” rock hunting trip in about 45 years. We found some white / gray marbled Alabaster, transparent gypsum crystals, plus massive deposits of Agate, sized from thumbnails to 8 feet in diameter. Colors on the Agate included almost clear to deep reds, smokey grays and whites, blue-black, black, amber, orange, pink and various mixtures of all of them. The most appealing to me were deep black samples with bright red ochre banding through them. The area allows 100 pounds a day per person for free and is only about 30 minutes away. Our next quest will be some Obsidian deposits a couple of hours to the northeast.

ArtsyLynda

Wow, what a treasure to be of stones to look thru! The Indian with red sounds gorgeous! Please share pictures of your work when you can!

Aren’t rock colors gorgeous! Will love to see what you do with rock carving!

[FONT=Arial Narrow]~Sculpturedolls
                    [FONT=Arial Narrow][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry, live simply, expect little, give much, fill your life with love,scatter sunshine, forget self, think of others. -Norman Vincent Peale

[FONT=Georgia]My website My Blog Join me on Facebook

musket

The best tool for this kind of work is a micro-motor handpiece. These can be very expensive but there are some that aren’t too dear. The top of the class are Gesswein and NSK. Foredom makes a less expensive model.

Failing that, a flex shaft machine. Foredom is the tried and true brand but there are others that are probably just as good.

Most professional gem carvers, however, use a fixed point lathe type machine. IOW, they bring the material to the bit instead of bringing the bit to the material. This is the kind of setup used by cameo carvers, and by gem carvers in Idar Oberstein. I have no experience with these.

Diamond bits are highly variable in quality. The cheaper ones don’t last as long as the expensive ones, as to be expected. The best are made by Mountain Mist and are very pricey. Less expensive ones can be had from Jaymes Company.

Working with any of the chalcedony materials is pretty straightforward. Obsidian is dicey. It chips easily and is difficult polish.

I suggest you check out The Carving Path forum for more information. I’m not sure there are any posts on these materials but there’s a fair amount about carving jade.

https://www.thecarvingpath.net/forum/1-the-carving-path/%5B/URL%5D

MKathleen
                          Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.