Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Back to painting

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    pompy

Hi all,

It’s been several years (about 7) since i painted anything… I don’t recall even drawing anything unless it was for some community activity or holidays. I have four kids (the oldest is 6) which partially explain this…

So I’ve decided to treat myself with a painting class if only to set a few hours a week to paint. We use different mediums (watercolors, oils, acrylics, pastels etc.). I have many questions… I’m basically a beginner and somewhat new to oil painting though I lurked on Wetcanvas for several years so have a little knowledge on theory.

we’re painting elephants. Drew a sketch from a ref pic, to then paint it on canvas. I painted the first layer in burnt umber,
        There are a few issues regarding the gesso at the top of the trunk and on the right. Do you think i can correct this? should painting over it would suffice? what do you recommend?

Also, the class was over before i could finish the first layer, by next time it would be dry, can i continue to work with it? or just rely on the next layers? Should the first layer contain all the fine details or just give general lights or shadows?

I wish the elephant to be turquoise and aubergine for the shadows, maybe some pink for highlights and have dark background, Do you think this can work?

Also, I have many paints from years ago (I like to collect art and craft materials…) also mediums and brushes.. a little bit afraid to check if they’re still OK. Do you think the can be used?

Adi

pompy

A little bit of progress…

Adi

Pthalo White

Painting classes are fun. I’m glad you decided to treat yourself; we all need to do that.

I’ve tried to use old oils; some worked and some didn’t, depending on the pigment and the brand. If you’re treating yourself to a class, why not treat yourself with new paint? I’d definitely toss the mediums.

“What would work” is up to you, the artist. Explore your ideas and the process.

Congratulations for returning to painting.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.