Home Forums Explore Media Fiber Arts Stitch in Time October 2018

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Debby

Ahh, October. Time is flying somedays and dragging on others. My fondest memories of October were getting my son to decide on what he wanted for a Halloween costume. He always had a dozen or more ideas. My rule was that once I spent any money, even less than 1 dollar, that was going to be his costume that year. Made for a few last minute Halloweens, but all in good fun.

Hope everyone is having a nice fall or spring.

Debby
        Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

It snowed today. Big fat phony looking Hollywood flakes. They didn’t stay but still….

I bought new paint brushes for the watercolour course. Last years brushes tried to shed all their bristles when I used them this year.
            This course is totally different from last years. She has a totally different focus which is far more to my liking. Far more artistic. and much more challenging.

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Lena, sorry about your brushes. They can get expensive. Glad you are liking the class this time around. Not quite cold enough to snow here, tho’ it’s coming.

Guess I have to get back to making critters. Sold a pegasus yesterday and a nessie last week. I really wish I was feeling better so I was getting to my other projects in between re-making critters. But after a 4th round of antibiotics, my system is very unhappy. I don’t blame it in the least. But unhappy tummy means I’m not very happy. Especially when the nausea hits.

Debby
                Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

Yesterday I finally went to see a therapist about the hole I am stuck in.
                    We talked a lot about my art. The stuff I am not doing. About the fact that the skin laying on my craft desk is covered with papers that need to be filed in the filing cabinet but I need ONE new folder for them….. My home work is to do that and to do something anything arts related with no special goal. My watercolours don’t count because I paid for that course. Not knitting because it can be used.

That mermaid is not getting done because it is a very angry piece that I, as caregiver, don’t want to acknowledge.

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Lena, it’s ok to be angry. And art is a way to express that anger, channel it so you don’t take it out on someone. Unfortunately, you seem to be taking it out on yourself. I hope you can find that folder and some art.

I am finally starting to feel better. I was able to work in the kitchen for a while without losing my air, without my heart pounding out of my chest and without my limbs feeling like lead. My normal response is to dive head first back into my projects and catch up with all the stuff I’ve been neglecting. However, maybe with age comes wisdom. I didn’t do anything more strenuous than a phone call then called it quits for the day. Today I have one project on my to do list and no chores. Time will tell how this goes. :lol:

Debby
                        Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

I filed the tax stuff. I found the folders I had bought in May….

I cleaned to dust of the work surface.

I also spent the day in a really foul mood.

:o

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Lena, good you got the stuff filed. Sorry about your foul mood. Maybe you just need to be grumpy for a bit. Pet your new dog.

Made the 2 journals I had planned to do yesterday. So that got done. Today had a friend over for a visit. Unfortunately, during the visit I got a text from mom that she was on her way to the hospital. Seems the CT scan showed that her tummy problem was more than diverticulitis. I just hope I don’t need to go to California this time.

Debby
                                Guide - Fiber Art Forum

No No I can’t believe it is October!!!:eek:

Yes, Debby I share those memories of getting the kids to decide what to be for Halloween. And the made dash to sew what they wanted. oh my. Debby, I hear of your health with sadness. You just keep facing challenges, don’t you? But good to hear of your feeling better and some critters completed.

Lena, snow and brushes. Both, in their own way, in bits, so to speak. Good to hear that this teacher’s approach holds more inspiration for you. Watercolor is a demanding art form, which is why the lack of value historically has always puzzled me. Though I do understand that the paper is not as long last etc as canvas, etc. But the skill and nuance involved is tremendous. And there are so many ways of doing watercolor “right.”

A bit of the spinning I am currently doing.

Jen

Jennifer Landau
                                Proud to be published in Art Quilting Studio magazine and educating about wool at The Great Dickens Christmas Fair.

Debby

Jen, thank you for your concern. I am doing better. Lovely colors in the yarn you’ve spun. What are you going to make with it?

Well, mom is in the hospital for at least a day while they give her IV antibiotics and extra liquids, giving her intestines a rest. They may keep her longer depending on test results. I’m still hoping this doesn’t result in an emergency trip again. Working on re-making critters for now.

Debby
                                    Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

Welcome back Jen.

Debbie sorry about your mother. Health crises as a distance are difficult. Especially as you are not doing well either.

Yesterday’ class was a disaster. My hands were shaking so that it was hard to do the sketching. So I left after an hour. I may try the work later but right now I am majorly pissed at my self. The shaking hands are part of the BPPV – sometimes instead of dizzy it feels like you just had 6 jumbo cups of coffee.

But I did go and work out this morning.

I also looked at my skins laying there.

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Lena, not sure which is worse, being dizzy or shaking hands. Neither one sounds good. Yay for sticking with working out. Looking and thinking are part of the process. Maybe even thinking of setting the project laying out to one side and doing a different project before coming back to the first one. And sometimes a project just needs to be abandoned.

Mom is supposed to be discharged this morning. My brother is picking her up and getting her home. Hopefully, the infection is under control and she can just go home and rest.

Had a fun dinner with DH last night. I was telling him about how when I was a single parent, my son would beg for me to make 7-layer bean dip for dinner. When I did, the kid and I would usually watch a movie with a bag of chips and the dip between us on the couch. DH had not had such a thing. :eek: So, even tho’ I had to use fake cheese and fake sour cream due to my dairy issues, I made it last night. We watched the first Harry Potter movie and DH thought it was a great dinner. I think we’ll be doing it again.

Debby
                                            Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

No I need to do the project. I am a stubborn bitch. Besides the project represents a lot of what I am feeling. I have put it “aside” and knitted stuff for too long. I need to face the angry bitch that project represents.

That dinner sounds like exactly what you two needed. I am making broth today. I made turkey earlier this week and today I ripped it apart, made little bags of turkey that I froze and tossed half the bones into my Instant Pot. Later today I will do the rest of the bones and freeze some of the broth and make the rest into soup. Monday I plan to make turkey pie for Thanksgiving.

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Lena, I wish you the best on completing that project then since you feel the need to finish it. Love making bone broth, very healing for the gut. I don’t have an Instant Pot. I do it the old fashioned way in a soup pot on the stove. It’s an all day affair.

I really need to get back to work on my projects too.

Debby
                                                    Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

You might want to look at getting an instant pot. It took about an hour and a half to make each pot’s worth. That included the heating up time and cooling down. I made beef stew last week and it cooked in 45 minutes and tasted like an all day slow cooker stew.
                                                        It is a pressure cooker, a slow cooker, a rice cooker and it has a browning feature. A lot less pots to store and make dirty. My youngest daughter loves hers. She can make dinner from frozen meat to table in an hour after she gets home from work. She also has a kitchen smaller then most bathrooms.

I learned about it from the GF crowd. Some take the smallest version with them when traveling so they can easily make safe food away from home.

Doll Art by Lena

Lena

Happy Thanksgiving!

We have snow again. Canadian Thanksgiving is all about finding the Northwest passage so very appropriate. Our Thanksgiving should feature whale blubber and seal flippers and fermented walrus but we usually do turkey instead because it is hard to find “country food” in the south.

Doll Art by Lena

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.