Home Forums Explore Subjects Plein Air Pocket-Size Pochade Box?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    painty

I want some pochade boxes that will fit in my pocket.
        I cannot seem to find one for sale. There is a model called ‘pocket’ but it seems much too large to actually fit into a pocket.

I find this odd as wikipedia currently says the word pochade comes from the french word for pocket; poche.
        Are my pockets smaller than everyone elses?
        Is there a box for sale somewhere I haven’t seen?

If not I guess I will have to make them, but finding small jewelery or cigar boxes is also proving difficult.
        Any suggestions?

Thank you.

bongo

What medium – oil, watercolor,…

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/18-Sep-2019/1999899-sigsmall.jpg
            STUDIOBONGO

Tipo

To the French Poche also refers to a pouch, bag or envelope, so the early pochade is more likely to have been a wooden envelope .that contained a palette and painting surface and was carred like a sketch book. Although poche can mean pocket it’s unlikely that the pochade was ever carried in one.
                Tipo

mlaiuppa

I want some pochade boxes that will fit in my pocket.
                    I cannot seem to find one for sale. There is a model called ‘pocket’ but it seems much too large to actually fit into a pocket.

I find this odd as wikipedia currently says the word pochade comes from the french word for pocket; poche.
                    Are my pockets smaller than everyone elses?
                    Is there a box for sale somewhere I haven’t seen?

If not I guess I will have to make them, but finding small jewelery or cigar boxes is also proving difficult.
                    Any suggestions?

Thank you.

If you do watercolor and what something that can actually fit into a man’s coat pocket, I suggest the small Whiskey Painter’s palette. You can either put in 8 half pans and a small retractable brush or 12 half pans. I would so with the 12 half pans and then slide a waterbrush into the loop of a Pentel sketchbook. That’s all you really need.

This is a really small waterbrush that can fit in the palette that even includes a small water container. The quality is surprisingly good.

There is also a version with a built in water flask and cup if you want to bring a regular retractable brush.

This Daler Rowney professional watercolor set is one of my favorites. It can fit in a shirt pocket. It only holds quarter pans but for sketching that’s plenty of paint and there are 18 colors and it comes with a brush. When you use up the colors, just refill with your own preference. Really nice metal box.

There is also Expeditionary Art[/URL]. She has palettes as small as a business card. You can buy them empty or pre-filled.

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]Runs with brushes

painty

What medium – oil, watercolor,…

i switch. between all mediums basically. so im wanting a pocket sized kit for each. so i can have one on me at all times, and switch when im home and i feel like it.

painty

To the French Poche also refers to a pouch, bag or envelope, so the early pochade is more likely to have been a wooden envelope .that contained a palette and painting surface and was carred like a sketch book. Although poche can mean pocket it’s unlikely that the pochade was ever carried in one.
                            Tipo

ok interesting. any reference material you can direct me to?

bongo

i switch. between all mediums basically. so im wanting a pocket sized kit for each. so i can have one on me at all times, and switch when im home and i feel like it.

Hard to imagine an oil pochade box that would fit in your pocket. Might take several pockets. Keep brushes in your left shirt pocket. Wet panels in your right shirt pocket. Paints in your right front pocket. Turps and brush cleaner in your left pocket. Blank panels in your back left pocket. Easel in your right back pocket. I guess you’d have to keep money and car keys in your socks. Small price to pay for art.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/18-Sep-2019/1999899-sigsmall.jpg
                                STUDIOBONGO

bongo

there is a pochade box that can (simulate) all mediums and fit in your pocket – a cell phone with the appropriate apps. or if your wearing an overcoat – a tablet.

STUDIOBONGO

Tipo

ok interesting. any reference material you can direct me to?

This is the Pochade that John Paul used for portraits.

It’s made of two thin sheets of plywood with two strips of wood to keep the wet pallette off the painting which was just taped to the ply.
                                        It has a cloth hinge glued to the back that allows it to open flat for painting and to fold up for carrying.
                                        John Paul used it like a sketch book, he called it a pochade and when I quised him he said it meant an envelope.

At that time I had never heard a paint box referred to as a pochade.

Tipo

Bartc

Time to do a little web research. Put it into Google and go for images and you’ll see lots, DIY and commercially made.

For watercolor, just about every manufacturer makes a few models. I use an old Cottman (Winsor and Newton) box. I originally bought this one because it fit in my bike jersey and shirt pockets easily and it’s enough to go out and do some nice work with a little pocketable sized pad of good paper. It’s actually at the heart of my water media bun bag, which has 6 different water soluble media, all mixable.

You can make up one similarly for yourself cheaply in any kind of small tin, like an Altoids box. Works for WC and for gouache. Not suitable for acrylic nor for oils, IMO.

RogueRipple

I have seen a number of examples of people using an Altoids (or similar) tin for oil painting. i think it would be a little small for me, but it works.

- Kelvin

"Things fall apart, it's scientific." - David Byrne

chiefswift

This little cigar box is the closest I’ve come up with, but probably still too big for what you’re looking for.

I bought watercolor pans and cosmetic tubes off amazon for my mediums (gum arabic will help keep the granulate paints or gouache from breaking into pieces). The pallet I had FedEx cut to size for free, and hold close with a magnet.

Gorilla Glue makes a clear Epoxy ideal for glueing plastic pans to wood:
                                                    https://www.gorillatough.com/product/gorilla-epoxy/

The problem I have going smaller are the brushes. “Silver Ultra Mini’s” are about as small of a quality brush as you’re gonna find IMO :angel: :thumbsup:

https://www.dickblick.com/products/silver-brush-ultra-mini-brush-sets/

Hope that’s of any help,
                                                    -Nick

chiefswift

BTW, I paint the interior with cross hatched gesso (though white acrylic would work) for mixing colors and to avoid mold/rotting

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.