Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Trying something new (thanks to John McNelleyjmax!)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

A while ago I came across a video about Mel McCuddin and was fascinated by his work and his methods. I was inspired and tried his approach a few times, but I didn’t get it to work for me. Which was quite disappointing and a bit frustrating.

A little over two weeks ago I was inspired again, however! This time by this thread by John McNelley/jmax, and the tips John gave me there were the last push I needed to try this way of painting again.

I’ve tweaked the method a bit to suit my needs/preferences, and now I’m hooked. This is what I’ve been looking for, for quite a while. I was getting more and more tired of my calculated, controled way of painting and wanted more expression, weirdness and freedom. And I think I may have found it:

(I have a hard time getting the darkness/lightness of the photograph correctly, so it may appear too dark or light on your screen…)

I love painting this way! There’s been a sloppy painter inside of me, dying to get out and now it has replaced my inner perfectionist. :lol: I don’t think I’ve ever enjoyed working on a painting this much. It’s intriguing to see how much stuff the human brain can find in chaos – I started this painting with quite a mess – and how much it’s wired to find people, faces, emotions, animals and/or stories.

Don’t know if it’s completely done yet, but I heeded John’s advice “[…] stop halfway. Don’t finish them off”, so I’ll probably leave it like this…

I was a bit worried that – using this method – my work would end up looking too much like Mel McCuddin’s of John’s, but I think this way of painting brings out your own character or natural style enough to make distinct works. What do you think?

Also, I could use a little help with a title. I like titles that bring up at least as much questions as it provides answers.

Your feedback and ideas are much appreciated. And thanks very much for your inspiration, John! :)

Dcam

Excellent Ochre: Nice painting.
        Hope you get to see all the fabulous Jmax paintings in the landscapes forum.
        We are big fans over there.

ronsu18

:clap: :clap: :clap:

mon ami Pierrot.
            something nonsensical, half associative half misleading, french looks the part (unless it’s offensive to the Dutch!); n’y poids n’y plumes s’il doit.
            chair de poule, only works in french… i don’t speak french! it’s the painting – it is Pierrot ☺

C&C welcome

DMSS

Bravo. I sometimes work this way and am amazed at the weird imagery I come up with. Ironically, I’ve been working hard this year on tightening up my drawings and paintings in hopes of getting better at representational painting. I, too, have been inspired by Mel McCuddin.

--David

🤟🏻

This is great, those eyes lol. Reminds me of my dogs when only one of them feels like being crazy and the other wants to relax. Maybe call it “Hide the hotdogs” or something in that vein :p

Paul Moreau
                    Insta @pmoreau_fine_art
                    FB @pmoreaufineart

Jon

Well done!
                        Glad John gave you enough push to encourage a second try.

Excellent Ochre: Nice painting.
                        Hope you get to see all the fabulous Jmax paintings in the landscapes forum.
                        We are big fans over there.

Thanks! I have been ‘binge watching’ his work the last two weeks. :lol: I’m a big fan too, now!

mon ami Pierrot.
                        something nonsensical, half associative half misleading, french looks the part (unless it’s offensive to the Dutch!); n’y poids n’y plumes s’il doit.
                        chair de poule, only works in french… i don’t speak french! it’s the painting – it is Pierrot ☺

Thank you! It’s not offensive at all. My French is a bit rusty though, so you have to help me with the first part… :lol:

Bravo. I sometimes work this way and am amazed at the weird imagery I come up with. Ironically, I’ve been working hard this year on tightening up my drawings and paintings in hopes of getting better at representational painting. I, too, have been inspired by Mel McCuddin.

Yeah, it’s funny where your path takes you. It’s always good to learn new things. It all adds to your toolkit or ‘vocabulary’. I don’t think I could’ve painted this if I hadn’t practiced so much on painting in a representational style.

This is great, those eyes lol. Reminds me of my dogs when only one of them feels like being crazy and the other wants to relax. Maybe call it “Hide the hotdogs” or something in that vein

Thanks! Must be quite a spectacle :lol:!

Well done!
                        Glad John gave you enough push to encourage a second try.

Thank you, I’m really glad he did as well!

BTW, here’s the link to the Mel McCuddin video that got me on this path in the first place: https://youtu.be/l3wz9wg0Dos

Dcam

Great video Ochre: Now there is a guy who seems to have no fear of materials, solvents, mediums and the like…..and he is 77.

Thanks for the link.

Great video Ochre: Now there is a guy who seems to have no fear of materials, solvents, mediums and the like…..and he is 77.

Thanks for the link.

He’s 85 now, even! And still painting. He clearly loves doing what he does. I’ve watched the video many times and still get a kick out of it.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.