Home Forums Explore Subjects Plein Air re small pochade boxes, for oil painters

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    ntl

Thinking about the thread re pocket sized pochade boxes https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1454745

What items do you carry in your pochade boxes? Thinking of oil painters here.

Pocket–sized probably also means small paint tubes, but who makes them now?
        Paints use a limited palette, white, black, a yellow, a red,
        Blank panels Also size small, ~3×5″, maybe a tad bigger, esp if you also carry a “table”–a piece of cardboard (clipboard) large enough to hold the palette, brushes, and painting paper, and lay across your knee, or balance on your arm.
        and a way to carry a couple of wet panels
        brushes, small, too, how many would you need, a couple of rounds, flats, maybe a fan brush ?
        Turps and brush cleaner No turps if you are solvent free, so a small cup/jar for oil.
        Easel, on your knee?
        a few rags? in a pocket

If you sell your paintings on the spot, you may not need to carry money. :)
        car keys on a lanyard around your neck?

bongo

Thinking about the thread re pocket sized pochade boxes [url]https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1454745[/url]

What items do you carry in your pochade boxes? Thinking of oil painters here.

Pocket–sized probably also means small paint tubes, but who makes them now?

They small empty tubes you can fill yourself

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/18-Sep-2019/1999899-sigsmall.jpg
            STUDIOBONGO

My pockets are full with life needs.

The smallest kit that I have used for plein air painting is a Guerrilla Thumb Box. It carries:

2 6×8 panels
            5 tubes of water soluble oils
            a small water bottle
            a couple each filbert and bright brushes
            a palette knife
            a water color pencil
            a pencil sharpener
            and some folded paper towels

Commonly I carry much more and a folding luggage hauler to spare my old knees.

[ATTACH]859977[/ATTACH]

"Painting is a verb"

jacasteel

Holbein still makes a smaller tube of oils, it is 20ml. There are some 10ml tubes in various student sets. I thought about a pocket set for painting Art Card sized oils but I found it was just impracticable. I decided to make a go anywhere set-up for watercolor. I just carry a Bijou Box, a bottle cap with a magnet, a mini spray bottle of water, a small travel brush, a pencil & sharpener, and 3×5 Moleskin watercolor journal. This all fits in a small zippered pouch that will fit in my shirt pocket.

TomMather

I have a Guerrilla Thumb Box as pictured above, as well as a 1/2-size French wooden easel. The Guerrilla box comes with a small jar/ brush cleaner for holding mineral spirits or other mediums. It also includes 4 flat brushes in assorted sizes. It has a built-in palette that slides out and another tray that folds out with holes for holding brushes. It will hold two 6×8 panels for painting. Inside the box, I can also carry about 6 tubes of oil paint (37 mm), the brushes, a small container with medium, small palette knife, small tin container for holding medium and OMS. The bottom has a thumb hole for holding the box in your hand like a palette, or you can clamp it to a tripod. I use an inexpensive but good quality photography tripod that I bought on line, but Guerrilla sells a much more expensive version that may or may not be better.

My French easel is larger, heavier and will hold more paints and brushes, but has no space for any panels. I’ve attached shoulder straps to it, so I can carry it like a backpack. I have to carry a tote back and/or panel holder with other supplies.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.