Home Forums Explore Subjects Plein Air Richard Schmid – November DVD

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

The library called yesterday to tell me a Schmid DVD was in so I hustled over to bring it home ASAP. They bought it!!!! Not a loaner from another library.
    I watched it until late and then I realized I didn’t have to stay up late because I can now check it out any time.
    I bought my nephew Alla Prima softcover and he’s devouring the book so tonight we’ll watch the DVD.
    It’s really cool. I love the part where he puts a glob of horse manure, a clump of grass, a stone, and a dry twig right on his palette and then mixes the color next to the object. This is in the session the next day where he goes into more of his thinking and variations on the painting itself.
    First he goes over his materials and equipment. He does talk about what he’s thinking about as he paints. He doesn’t always mention which colors he’s mixing but if you’re quick you can see which colors his brush darts to. If you miss it then there is always the replay option.
    He shows how he deals with the ever-changing weather during a session.
    It’s fun to see him paint during a snow shower as I have.
    One more point. I use pastels but demos like this are just as helpful to me. Probably a Handell pastel DVD would be that much more helpful but the overall painting process trancends the medium.
    I’ll be pressing the library to obtain more DVDs from more artists. I will be sure to follow-up with a big thank you also.
    BillF

E.Milz

Thanks for the info mate!

I am thinking back and forth which of Richards DVDs I should buy.
        The trouble is only that they are very very expensive for me to buy from sweden. I doubt that I get my library to get them. :rolleyes:

I only can afford to buy one DVD from him. In which of his landscape seasons I get the most info out of him, I cant buy them all even if I would love to? His book is amazing!!!!

Thanks for helping
        yours
        Eckhardt

"C&C welcome", my blog: http://milzart.blogspot.com/ To paint a picture with some life in it, one has to be alive onesel[/COLOR]f! (Vincent)

I’ve only seen the November Plein Air DVD. I’m sure others here have seen more. Maybe I’ll try to get library to obtain a Handell DVD next.
        BillF

I’m waiting for the May DVD to arrive. I ordered it based on recommendations from this forum.

Wendy C&C always welcome
        Everybody likes feedback! Please remember to comment on others' threads, even if it's just a "nice work" post.

E.Milz

I’m waiting for the May DVD to arrive. I ordered it based on recommendations from this forum.

Thank you guys!
            Please keep us updated how you like them.
            yours
            Eckhardt

"C&C welcome", my blog: http://milzart.blogspot.com/ To paint a picture with some life in it, one has to be alive onesel[/COLOR]f! (Vincent)

mipleinair

If you want to rent the schmid dvd’s smartflix has them for about 10 bucks a piece. I think june is the best one. Each one focues on somthing different. May is mostly just a demo with voice over and a good part of the painting he does in the studio from a digital photo.
                Mike

Bruce Newman

If you want to rent the schmid dvd’s smartflix has them for about 10 bucks a piece. I think june is the best one. Each one focues on somthing different. May is mostly just a demo with voice over and a good part of the painting he does in the studio from a digital photo.

Although I have all three and love each one, I agree with Mike and would recommend “June” if you were just going to buy one…but with “November” a close second in terms of instructional benefit. They are well worth every penny in my books.

[FONT=Verdana]Bruce
                    www.brucenewman.com

C&C appreciated. "A studio is a good place to smoke your pipe." (Joaquin Sorolla)

The best of the best. What would you all recommend from other artists as their best DVDs? I asked my library to obtain DVDs from Handell and Schmid but was not specific so they just picked the first Schmidt. I wonder if they will order one from Handell?
                    I don’t think library would order more than one from each at this point. I’ll have to contact the local art groups and prod them to contact library for more DVDs.
                    BillF

E.Milz

Thank you all for the tips, it was very helpfull!
                        I will go for the june and then later for november.
                        cheers
                        Eckhardt

Ah, I forgot- Where can I order the dvds best. I checked amazon.com but they dont have the dvds?

Get them all. Don’t fight it, don’t argue … just do it – now!! :D

They are all good. Oil paint for the soul. :D

meatball2006

think I’ll skip the Nov. one, do’nt think i could get passed the poop part:eek:

The library called yesterday to tell me a Schmid DVD was in so I hustled over to bring it home ASAP. They bought it!!!! Not a loaner from another library.
                            I watched it until late and then I realized I didn’t have to stay up late because I can now check it out any time.
                            I bought my nephew Alla Prima softcover and he’s devouring the book so tonight we’ll watch the DVD.
                            It’s really cool. I love the part where he puts a glob of horse manure, a clump of grass, a stone, and a dry twig right on his palette and then mixes the color next to the object. This is in the session the next day where he goes into more of his thinking and variations on the painting itself.
                            First he goes over his materials and equipment. He does talk about what he’s thinking about as he paints. He doesn’t always mention which colors he’s mixing but if you’re quick you can see which colors his brush darts to. If you miss it then there is always the replay option.
                            He shows how he deals with the ever-changing weather during a session.
                            It’s fun to see him paint during a snow shower as I have.
                            One more point. I use pastels but demos like this are just as helpful to me. Probably a Handell pastel DVD would be that much more helpful but the overall painting process trancends the medium.
                            I’ll be pressing the library to obtain more DVDs from more artists. I will be sure to follow-up with a big thank you also.
                            BillF

http://Art-Rocks.org
                            “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”
                            Dr. Seuss:thumbsup:

E.Milz

Well, in the end I could not resist and ordered both jun and nov.
                                Little less to eat next month but whats the heck I hope they are great.
                                Thanks for the tips!!!:thumbsup:

cheers and thanks
                                Eckhardt

annabella2

I have all three of the season DVDs, and I like the latest one, the June one, the best I think. He goes back into the studio after the demo, and does so more explanations that are very useful.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Anne Stickney
                                    my webpage...

My blog
                                    Anonymous

watched 2 of Richards, thanks to Jim, and both very inspirational and down to earth clues about the art.

Sam

I have seen ‘Schmid paints Michelle’ Dvd which was really good. I feel I learn better via demonstration and I find his explanations and demo really helpful, clear. He is on the mark both with brush and insights.

I just bought two more Dvds, Landscapes ones for May and June as well as the Captain’s portrait and can’t wait to see them.

Also reading Alla Prima II which is fabulous.

Has anyone read his Landscapes book?

Everyone discusses my art and pretends to understand, as if it were necessary to understand, when it is simply necessary to love.
                                            Claude Monet

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.