WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Teacher's Toolbox
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-14-2006, 10:54 AM

Hails from United Kingdom
Adult education

I'm considering going into adult education, just wondering if anyone here knows what the best avenues are into this type of work?
Also any teaching methods or techniques people know of or suggest? any favourite strategies for encouraging learning or even a good website for that stuff would be useful

Thanks

Gav
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-17-2006, 02:24 PM
A WC! Legend
Devon, UK

Re: Adult education

Hi Gav.... sorry you haven't had any replies.
Have you tried contacting your local education authority or local council to find out what is needed in your area?
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-18-2006, 01:12 PM
Lord of the Arts
North West of England

Thats good advise from Chris, you could also try a company called the W.E.A they have a web site. They run adult education classes during the day, good luck. Oh you may also need a teaching certificate again contact your local education authority for advise. Joanne

My Website http://artbyboon.co.uk
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-18-2006, 09:42 PM

I'm also looking for information and people talking about teaching art to adults. I've tried various combinations in google but the sites I find are overwhelmingly about teaching kids. Are there other teachers of adults here?

I teach workshops and classes in colored pencil, and plan to expand into teaching more general art topics like design and beginning drawing. I do not have an art degree and have been teaching through art associations. I'm enjoying it so much, and so are my students! But I'd like to have sources of inspiration and dialogue about how to teach concepts and skills.

Do Mi

(used to be DStaub11)
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2006, 01:01 AM
Indiana

Hails from United States

I teach three classes on beginning drawing and sketching to homeschooled studnets. In one of my classes I have one student's grandmother as well. While the lessons are geared towards kids, she has told me that she has learned so much from being in my class! I have seen this ladies work and she is fairly good already -- so the compliment was well taken. Most adults need basic instruction, foundational items that we teach to kids as well with theonly difference being that the adult can grasp concepts and references faster. Meaning teach the same things but you can perhaps put two or more classes of information into one for adults. For my students at least, I purposely planned for them to draw all kinds of things regardless of what they 'like' to draw. Forcing them out of their comfort zone makes them a better artist for the area that they do like to concentrate on. If anyone wants a list of what I teach for the first semester, let me know. Have a blessed day!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-22-2006, 10:53 AM

Hails from United States

Gav,
Took a 6 week lesson plan and portfolio to my local college. Agreed to teach an evening drawing class. Settled on an hourly rate and was teaching a few weeks later.
This lead to teaching the same class at a local Skill Center. This is an Adult Education class but it pays better than the college class. Has to do with funding from the government.
It's been 5 years and I'm still teaching and learning.
Artest
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-23-2006, 03:22 PM
Lord of the Arts
Upstate New York

Hails from United States

Try BOCES (I think that is how it is spelled.) I just moved from Wyoming where I was teaching at their BOCES, and I have just recently found the BOCES here in New York. I am sure they are everywhere if they can be found in both WY and NY.

There is a fine line between impressionism and poor realism.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-23-2006, 03:24 PM
Lord of the Arts
Upstate New York

Hails from United States

Ooops. that wont work. I just say you are from the United Kingdom. Good luck.

There is a fine line between impressionism and poor realism.