WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Think Tank > Creativity
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-13-2019, 08:37 AM

Art makes me nervous

I don't know if it's because of my diagnosis, but it's been years that I don't enjoy painting as before - it stresses me and I smoke every half an hour. A friend thinks it's because I am not used to it - I paint just a bit on weekends. Does anybody has the same problem? How to deal with this?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-13-2019, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member
western New York

Hails from United States
Re: Art makes me nervous

That's a hard thought to wrap my head around... that art would make anyone nervous. Why would one even think about any type of a diagnosis....? Dont lean on it.

This time of year is beautiful... just get out in the country and just draw... or paint.
Take a hike , but dont bring the smokes.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-13-2019, 03:49 PM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada

hard to say what you're talking about so take my blather with a grain of salt ...

you could try to figure out what, exactly, is making you nervous - do you care too much of what others think? have you fallen out of love for painting? do you need counseling? there are no wrong answers to these questions when you ask them to yourself, when you brainstorm with yourself.

write things down - write yourself a letter, a poem, a list, a stern talking to, a challenge, write forgiveness, write freely, white chaotically, write random words that pop into your head ... any or all of these writings can't hurt you, they merely help sort things, ponder things, re-align things.
Close the book or turn the page or whatever, put the writings away for a day. write others if you feel compelled to and tuck them away for a day.

then read them with fresh eyes - what do you think of them, what do they tell you

in the meantime, there is Nothing wrong with not painting - there are Many other ways to be creative, Many other ways to fill time, Many other things you could do ... what else inspires you, interest you, excites you

nobody knows, 'cept you

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek,Igbo(Nigeria)
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-13-2019, 08:02 PM
south coast Australia

Hails from Australia

Thanks from me to you, la! Beautiful thoughts!

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-19-2019, 06:53 PM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States

Making art always made me nervous. It isn't that unusual.

Get over the idea that it's all supposed to be sweetness and light, as promulgated in a zillion silly books about the Joy of Creativity. For some it is. For others it isn't.

One foot in front of the other.
We cannot define anything precisely. If we attempt to, we get into that paralysis of thought that comes to philosophers, who sit opposite each other, one saying to the other, "You don't know what you are talking about!". The second one says, "What do you mean by know? What do you mean by talking? What do you mean by you? ~R.P. Feynman
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2019, 01:01 PM
Immortalized

But aren't your smokes just a prop to let you prevaricate rather than just loading a brush?
I don't know why painting makes you nervous or what medium you work in, but if it's acrylics they're more forgiving than your grandma🙂, you can always slosh white over the lot and start again.

laf-art.com | Prints | [url="https://www.facebook.com/LAF.Art"]FB[/U
Instagram laf.abstracts
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-23-2019, 11:38 PM
Lord of the Arts

Are you nervous about the outcome of the artwork or nervous about
the process of creating? Take a break. Creating art is not worth screwing up
your mental health.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-24-2019, 08:54 AM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States

Plenty of great artists have screwed up their mental health making art. It just depends on whether it's worth it to the artist in question.
We cannot define anything precisely. If we attempt to, we get into that paralysis of thought that comes to philosophers, who sit opposite each other, one saying to the other, "You don't know what you are talking about!". The second one says, "What do you mean by know? What do you mean by talking? What do you mean by you? ~R.P. Feynman
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-24-2019, 11:23 AM
Lord of the Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by musket
Plenty of great artists have screwed up their mental health making art. It just depends on whether it's worth it to the artist in question.
That's true. I just wonder if in hindsight they thought it was worth it.
Maybe, maybe not.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-24-2019, 05:50 PM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada

plenty of people are neurotic
some are artist
some are not
very few are great artists
i wonder how many great artists aren't neurotic

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek,Igbo(Nigeria)
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-25-2019, 12:26 PM
Immortalized

I know of a few people that were pretty good artists and then they put down the brushes for 20 years and in one case never picked them up again. We're all wired differently and life can and does get in the way.Personally all through my illness and treatment I still painted almost every day, it helped me to forget for a little while all the crap I was going through. Not saying I painted anything brilliant, but just thinking about something else helped.

Instagram laf.abstracts
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-30-2019, 06:13 AM

Thankfully art can be and is anything and everything it is no longer just centered around a canvas and paint brush this is because of the invention of the camera and digital arts and also due to natural evoloution of society and our changing values for example art was many moons ago about painting say henry the 8th and making sure you painted his complexion to be without a spot (a bit like how we have photo shop now) and also portraits and art were considered the domain of the rich so the rebellion came was art produced in such a way to show that art should be for anyone and not consigned to the rich or the "talented" (talent back then was what was taught at colleges one would model oneself against Leonardo da vinci etc) and one would marvel at the lifelikeness of the portrait the skill full hand produced etc. We have cameras now and art is no longer just for the rich..do you see? So when we go to a gallery how do we judge local works done by real people like you and I? It is all open to interpretation , I no longer see art the way I used to I no longer judge like that it is a completely different experience and everyone is unique there are countless genres of art and art right now the best thing is to just be yourself follow your own path beat your own drum so to speak , my main point is do it because you love it or your own personal motivations no one is holding a gun to your head...you or personaly myself anyway like to create in the moment because I am engaged 100% in that etc ..hope am making sense.Art is subjective also so you should search out your motivations I guess do a bit of soul searching have a bit of time out don't force yourself and when and if you are ready you will know ..who knows maybe this juncture is a positive one maybe you want to apply yourself in a new way?

Kazimir Malevich Barnett Newman bothe these artists shocked the world due to the seemingly simple works of art they produced however they were and are incredibly complicated my point being is instead of approaching your art with total fear that makes us not be able to move a muscle or even move the brush us doesn't it? for fear we do "something wrong" in the "rules" of art or what is considered art by whom anyway..I am saying approach without fear what engages you put your own rule book that has made you inable to move in the bin and start anew for example Kazimir Malevich in his white square painting used 2 dimensional representation of a square he used the slight tilt of the square to show movement he was throwing away the rule book of past art which would show subject matter done with shadeing ie 3 dimensional so when we take away these signs to represent what and how we understand something the world was shocked with his work...but it opened up a whole new world and dissolved a lot of boundaries in art and there is a new freedom from that and one that is not paralysed with fear one can express new things etc.

Last edited by tidal : 10-30-2019 at 06:23 AM.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-30-2019, 08:52 AM
Immortalized

Well said Tidal.

Instagram laf.abstracts