WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pen and Ink > Calligraphy
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2011, 06:15 PM
Toronto

Hails from Canada
Re: Calligraphy Online Tutorials - Part 3

OK - here's attempt #2 at the final lesson. I believe I have fixed the mistakes in the previous attempt and hope I haven't made new ones

My Blog
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2011, 07:17 AM
Toronto

Hails from Canada

OK - I messed up again. I knew something looked off but couldn't put my finger on it - I shaded the wrong side of the leading curve in the K (an after effect of practicing 2 I suppose).

I will post an updated, and hopefully free of major boo-boo's, example shortly.

Salman

My Blog
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2011, 09:40 AM
Lord of the Arts
Sydney, Australia

Hails from Australia

So very much better, Salman. I shall be interested in finding out which K you will prefer --- the one you have just used --- or the corrected version !

Give yourself a free weekend. You have earned it!

I expect you are getting near the end of the dry season in Peshawar but great temperatures. Here for the last week our max temps have been only about 20C and the min has been as low as 6C. I am freezing !!!!!! I hate the cold ! Anything from 28C upwards suits me fine - even into the 40s.

Geoff
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-14-2011, 02:36 PM
Toronto

Hails from Canada

Thats good advice Geoff. I need to cool down a bit - both figuratively and literally.

We had a lovely spring this year with some unexpected rains that kept the weather cool but its getting really hot now. Spring is really nice in Peshawar. I haven't spent one here since 1994 so enjoyed it that much more. What surprised me the most was the smells, I had forgotten how sweet spring smells here.

The summer is going to be a scorcher and they are shutting electricity down for 4-5 hours a day, and its going to get worse.

Salman

My Blog
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-16-2011, 09:45 AM
Toronto

Hails from Canada

OK - I hope the third attempt does it. I see no obvious mistakes - the bar of the double t appears a bit askew but it looks fine on paper so I don't know what is going on there.

Salman

My Blog
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2011, 06:34 AM
Lord of the Arts
Sydney, Australia

Hails from Australia

FLOURISHED COPPERPLATE MAJUSCULES

The shadings on this model are largely of the same pattern as those you have already met. In these examples the first letter has a bit more flourish because of the extra space standing before it.

You may note that the flourishes are based on elliptical movements and often echo those already present. I tend to make these at first by floating with the tip of the nib just above the surface of the paper and then striking down when I am moving fluidly the way I want — but always looking to where I am going rather than to where I am. There are occasional half-shadings to slightly weight that area of the letter and this is sometimes influenced by the adjacent letter.

Your sheet of paper may be twisted and turned in any direction you wish so that you may more easily make the flow of the stroke — which may be pulled or cursive, shaded by moving up or moving down, sweeping magnificently or making a tight turn back through itself. You are the master of the pen even though it may seem at times to refuse to obey your will !

Four golden rules are :— (a) Avoid the A and the H ever looking similar; (b) avoid the S and the T ever looking similar; (c) no part of the I goes below the baseline but the J always has a distinguishing portion below the baseline; and (d) a majuscule does not link to a following minuscle.

Following is shown a pencil-drawn skeletal trial run of flourishing, using the next four letters. But it will soon be noticed that the final writing has had a few adjustments or changes made to obtain a fairly regular or rhythmic pattern. So this simple linework will have been just a preliminary visual guide to enable you to start to come to grips with the juuxtaposing of the letters to be used. This is a method of designing a monogram where the intertwining of the linework is able to make very attractive patterns..

Flourishes are personal and in some cases may contirbute in even identifying the writer. There is really no such thing as a wrong flourish — just that some seem to lack a flow, be out of proportion or become too entangled. Let the texture of the group of flourished letters have an interesting and balancing use of negative shapes in addition to the embellishments. Most letters are formed with one continuous line of movement but a few will use two.

These letters give about a quarter of the alphabet --- but have imposed my designs. To enable you to develop your own style(s), you are to design the remainder (in alphabetical order) in groups of three or four letters.

Post to me a mongram for Stephen William Hawking ( SWH )
and also your own monogram.
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-23-2011, 08:41 AM
Toronto

Hails from Canada

Wow - this is certainly new territory. It'll take some doing to get a sense of balance for the composition. I'll start right away.

While waiting for these lessons I occupied myself with making a holder. You can see the rather interesting results here.

Onward and upward then.

S.

My Blog
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2012, 09:52 PM

Thanks for these tutorials! I can't wait to try!
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-05-2012, 12:21 AM
WC! Guide
Chattanooga, TN

Hails from United States

I have studied these tutorials before, but never was able to follow through due to odd working hours and other obligations. Retired now and have the time, perhaps Lux and I can start from page 1...

Greg