WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > WC Site Technical Discussions
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2011, 05:37 PM
A Local Legend
London UK

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: BANNED IP ADDRESSES - I can't even get on these pages to discuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoJoe
Ummmm, if they're banned how can they post?

Oh do pay attention double-oh seven

If people are trying to log on from a machine with an IP address in the range 2.x.x.x they get IP-blocked, but from other IP-ranges they can still access the site (not fun if your home machine is on 2.x.x.x).

Sarah - see http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...64&postcount=8

Dave
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2011, 05:39 PM
A Local Legend
Deepest Wettest Lancashire

I have also sent screen shot via e-mail. when banned.

Please don't give up on the bogon filter idea though. it has fixed the rest of the web. Maybe you have a pathway you are ot aware off checking this unbeknown to you.

Insanity is hereditary ............ you can get it from your children ....or Grandchildren
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2011, 05:42 PM
A Local Legend
London UK

I'm going to quote my own post here (including my comment at the bottom of the post), in the hope that it doesn't get buried:

as we've discussed recently, what one sees, as a spuriously-"banned" member, on a 2.xxx.xxx.xxx IP is this:

in the context of:

Now the techs really ought to be able to inspect the php code for that page that brings up that ban message, look at the MySQL query that populates it, and trace back to the relevant table-content or code that pulls in the ban in association with that 2.xxx.xxx.xxx address, to trace back where its coming from.

Dave
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2011, 05:56 PM
Resting in Peace
Santa Barbara, CA

Hails from United States

Having been on WC since 2002 I've witnessed it going downhill. It grew so big and so fast it has become almost unmanageable. But still, If you take ownership then you must take responsibility.

One thing that is apparent is the fact that I see Dick Blick as the only advertiser. So the owners have given up on promoting the site. This is the root of these problems.

I've built and managed many websites during my career so I know what, whoever is webmaster for WC if there is one, is facing.

If F+W can't do the job then they should sell it or hand it back to the members. They're in a real public relations disaster. With so many art magazine publishers out there it makes no sense to disappoint so many loyal and talented artists.

Over these years I've known many of the admin, Mods & Guides and they were always helpful. Now it seems Big Brother has decided to lock them out and just walk away. Leaving us with eventually nothing.

I'd love nothing more then putting a team of webmasters together and take this site apart, clean it up and put it back together.
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2011, 08:51 PM
Immortalized
"" Lincoln, Ontario""

Hails from Canada

Quote:
I'd love nothing more then putting a team of webmasters together and take this site apart, clean it up and put it back together.

All I can say to that is "Make my Day" and also everyone else on here's day !!

We would all probably move there in a blink.. OR we could all move to Dave's site.

Johnnie

Not the first time a Large issue has emerged since new owners took over.

"Every Day Is A Great Day, Some Are Just Better Than Others."
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-27-2011, 03:17 AM
A WC! Legend
New Canaan Connecticut

Hails from United States

Do they understand they are losing members by the Droves ???
This is No way to run a business !
Can someone pay ttention to this problem ?
June

http://blogmomcom.blogspot.com/
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-27-2011, 06:33 AM
Immortalized
Ludlow, Vermont

Hails from United States

I don't care what the reason is , if they want this site to survive and to be profitable, they need to fix it!!

Reggie
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-27-2011, 06:37 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

If they can't register they can't get North Light emails and buy North Light books.

Doug
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-27-2011, 07:24 AM
A WC! Legend
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States

Quote:
Having been on WC since 2002 I've witnessed it going downhill. It grew so big and so fast it has become almost unmanageable. But still, If you take ownership then you must take responsibility.

One thing that is apparent is the fact that I see Dick Blick as the only advertiser. So the owners have given up on promoting the site. This is the root of these problems.

I've built and managed many websites during my career so I know what, whoever is webmaster for WC if there is one, is facing.

If F+W can't do the job then they should sell it or hand it back to the members. They're in a real public relations disaster. With so many art magazine publishers out there it makes no sense to disappoint so many loyal and talented artists.

Over these years I've known many of the admin, Mods & Guides and they were always helpful. Now it seems Big Brother has decided to lock them out and just walk away. Leaving us with eventually nothing.

I agree with everything you've said - and more - that's one reason for my resignation as a Mod several years ago. We were promised the fixes over and over again, but nothing happened. More and more excuses about the problems and nothing was ever addressed.

I think it was a big mistake on their part in buying this site without the proper management and technical know-how to make this site grow properly. Now they can't admit to their failure.
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-27-2011, 08:02 AM
Enthusiast
Devon, England

I agree with you Joe. It seems the site is "going to the dogs". which is such a pity as this used to be a very professional site with people running it who knew what they were doing. I have had no problems accessing other websites with my "dicey" IP address.

I would like to thank all those who have helped me to try to get on here from home but seems it will not happen somehow, and I have thad to access a computer outside my own house to post this. I do feel comforted now in knowing that I am not alone with this problem

I think Wetcanvas need to employ people who know what they are doing in maintaining this site to make it as efficient as it once was.
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-27-2011, 08:45 AM
A WC! Legend
Pinehurst

Hails from Canada

I received a private message from Kev, who is undoubtedly at home now and... banned...

Quote:
Originally Posted by roun2it
I put two threads in Pastel and Acrylic yesterday because Arnold and I used to post there. Just saying why we were no longer there and asking them to go to the site discussions thread to leave a reply.

Funny this morning the Acrylic one has gone missing with no explanation at all ????????

So I sent them a message.

OK will be off home at 11am I am fed up with this stupid ban, but all they want to do here is bury their heads................. and yes it will work as after 11 I'm banned again ...........

See ya around.

So... Now we have Moderators who would also bury this problem... Shame, shame, shame on them!

Kathryn, I'm sorry that you also felt it necessary to resign... there seems to be a trend, eh?

Joe... F+W Media has an opening for a WetCanvas Community Manager (it's on their website)... This is the summary write-up for that position:
Summary
The Community Manager and Editor for Web Canvas will work in a dynamic, community facing capacity with one of the largest online art communities in the world. Wet Canvas has over 200,000 active members and averages 3.5 million + page views per month. This position will be crucial to the nurturing, growth and communication within the community. The Community Manager and Editor will be actively engaged with the community at all times. This position will help grow the property, participate in creating additional revenue generation opportunities, and help develop community driven products and services. In addition, this Community Manager and Editor will develop content for both the site and the email newsletter, as well as engage the internal Art Community to continually improve and facilitate the development of unique, market-focused content.
It all sounds so POSITIVE!!

Dave, I know you've tried to bring this problem to light. Have you tried sending private messages to Sarah and Dan, ensuring you excellent examples don't get buried? It would be pretty difficult for them to deny any knowledge then...

Other Websites owned by F+W include:

I am curious to know whether or not the WetCanvas Banned Members can access these sites? If so, then it would seem THEIR techs might be able to help OUR techs...

Sarah, what's going on today?

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. Leonardo DaVinci
Handbook Index ... Help for Newbies
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-27-2011, 08:48 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

That's a good point Char, I'll ask one of them to check.

Doug
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-27-2011, 08:53 AM
A WC! Legend
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States

Char - after spending years on WC developing a good pastel forum, I saw all the hard work go down the drain. It was disappointing and disheartening.
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-27-2011, 09:01 AM
A Local Legend
Severn, MD

Hails from United States

I have been a member here for years, and I have also witnessed the downhill spiral after F+W took over. I rarely even post in here anymore, and have built up a network of artists on another social site.
"We derive more benefit from having our faults pointed out by our enemies than from hearing the opinions of friends." (Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519)
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-27-2011, 09:05 AM
A Local Legend
London UK

Quote:
Dave, I know you've tried to bring this problem to light. Have you tried sending private messages to Sarah and Dan, ensuring you excellent examples don't get buried? It would be pretty difficult for them to deny any knowledge then...

Its pretty difficult for them to deny knowledge, given that I have been a deliberate and persistent thorn in their sides for the past 18 months within the private Moderator forum of the site, starting numerous threads on the various issues and contributing to those started by other staff members, in the hope of getting some action on those issues, for the benefit of the site and membership.

Given that I can actually code PHP/MySQL myself, it is nothing short of infuriating to see problems I've pointed out, and could offer some help in actually solving, be continually ignored - or to be told month after month that "its being worked on", when a competent programmer would be able to resolve many of these issues in a far shorter timeframe.

Dave